Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   [Update] Windows 10 Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698787)

BenMcr 08-10-2014 16:53

Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35733778)
Eh, well the first (for XP) was released seven years after XP itself and three months after you could no longer buy XP

It was released in 2002 http://winsupersite.com/article/prod...dows-xp-review
Quote:

The second (for Vista support) was released six years after Vista, and two years after you could no longer buy Windows Vista.
October 2008 http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...nternals-team/

qasdfdsaq 08-10-2014 17:45

Hmm. Clearly I fail at reading. The first link of yours had no date but googling the name came up with an article dated 2008, and the second link of yours says "Published: October 17, 2012"

Turns out the date on the article I found was for the second tool, and the date on your link is just completely wrong.

BenMcr 08-10-2014 18:47

I think the date on the second link is for the v2 release.

qasdfdsaq 08-10-2014 18:49

Yeah, I initially thought the 'V2' meant the Vista+ version, with 'V1' being the original XP only version... Ach well I learned something new today... Might try those out and add them to my portable kit of 'auto-install' apps.

BenMcr 08-10-2014 22:57

Based on the article on the Techrepublic site, I'd maybe only go for the newer Desktops one - it works for XP SP3 and above and they say it's a more resource friendly app that the original XP Powertoys version

truthspeaker 08-10-2014 23:00

what about Ubuntu Or Linux Mint?

qasdfdsaq 08-10-2014 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35733934)
Based on the article on the Techrepublic site, I'd maybe only go for the newer Desktops one - it works for XP SP3 and above and they say it's a more resource friendly app that the original XP Powertoys version

That's what I was going for, I assumed the original one only worked with XP anyway, and since no sane person with control of their environment would still use XP...

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by truthspeaker (Post 35733935)
what about Ubuntu Or Linux Mint?

What about them?

heero_yuy 09-10-2014 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35733949)
That's what I was going for, I assumed the original one only worked with XP anyway, and since no sane person with control of their environment would still use XP...[COLOR="Silver"]

I must be certifiable then with two desktops and a lappy all on XP. Now where's that jacket with the arms that tieup behind...:D

qasdfdsaq 09-10-2014 13:56

God I hope you have a good firewall...

heero_yuy 09-10-2014 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35734056)
God I hope you have a good firewall...

Router based. Only one (inactive) threat on one machine in the last year plus a few cookies. My careful housekeeping. :)

None of the machines could run Windows 10 properly (or even 7 for two of them) anyway as the hardware is too old. Other priorities for money.

qasdfdsaq 09-10-2014 15:46

My problem isn't really with XP itself, it's the fact that it's now unsupported and most vulnerabilities will never get fixed. I already get several thousand incoming hack attempts per day on just about every port and not to mention the number of websites trying to exploit old IE holes or even Firefox or Chrome.

Thankfully a properly firewalled XP is still reasonably secure if using a third-party browser that is still kept up to date and there's no way to accept incoming connections, but that all goes out the window the second they connect to a public network.

Still, those machines must be pretty damn old then! I accidentally booted Windows 8.1 on 128MB of RAM the other day and it actually worked well enough that it took me a while to figure it out.

heero_yuy 09-10-2014 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35734087)
My problem isn't really with XP itself, it's the fact that it's now unsupported and most vulnerabilities will never get fixed. I already get several thousand incoming hack attempts per day on just about every port and not to mention the number of websites trying to exploit old IE holes or even Firefox or Chrome.

Thankfully a properly firewalled XP is still reasonably secure if using a third-party browser that is still kept up to date and there's no way to accept incoming connections, but that all goes out the window the second they connect to a public network.

Still, those machines must be pretty damn old then! I accidentally booted Windows 8.1 on 128MB of RAM the other day and it actually worked well enough that it took me a while to figure it out.

Lappy is an old Sony FX101 on a 600M Celeron 512M RAM. (Upgraded HDD, BIOS, battery, RAM and DVD drive) Used mainly for e-mail, browsing and playing audio/video.

Main machine is Sempron 3300 1gig RAM. (1600M hypertransport) I could run a later OS but not well I suspect.

Browsers are latest Firefox.

I'll need to make/buy/rebuild a new machine soon for main work so it'll be interesting to see how Windows 10 pans out. 8 looks too Fisher Price for me. Don't know about 9.

qasdfdsaq 09-10-2014 18:43

Ach, I'm pretty sure they could both run Win 7 if you tried hard enough :-P I admit there's not a whole lot of benefit though from the end user perspective.

That said I had Vista running on a single-core Sempron 3000 for a good few years.

truthspeaker 09-10-2014 20:58

I run windows 7 on my uncle computer with Intel Atom with 1Gb Ram.
youtube lags,
windows 7 crash.
running very slow.

qasdfdsaq 09-10-2014 21:26

I suppose I'm sorta cheating when the pagefile is backed by a multilevel SSD cache...