Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HD : All change for Sky Sports channels & packages? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704704)

denphone 11-07-2017 10:52

Re: All change for Sky Sports channels & packages?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35907299)
don't think that will happen Den think be another deal as it suits both parties having it on VM in XL pack

The world is changing Dave in all aspects so one must say never say never.:)

theone2k10 11-07-2017 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35907299)
don't think that will happen Den think be another deal as it suits both parties having it on VM in XL pack

Don't count on that bud.

denphone 11-07-2017 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35907309)
Don't count on that bud.

Good grief we don't often agree.:)

muppetman11 11-07-2017 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35907297)
Depending on ones package it is around £30 and Sky Sports in HD is an extra £7.

That's were if VM don't adopt the same pricing structure for Sky Sports as the Sky Platform you could see significant differences.

A cricket only fan would have to pay £30 for SD on VM as opposed to £18 on Sky or

HD £37 on VM as opposed to £23 on Sky

Obviously base packs need to be factored in so in some circumstances VM could still work out cheaper on the lower packs.

Bananaman_007 11-07-2017 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 35907298)
Serious question: Who controls how Sky Sports is packaged on Virgin? Can they do what they like or is it actually up to Sky?

Sky do as part of the carriage agreement. For example vm cant do anything that undercuts thee sky wholesale price.

VM would be unable to bundle this in the full house package for example.

However renegotiating will have to happen with VM as the current rules only apply to sky sports 1 and 2. Going forward these channels will not exist

japitts 11-07-2017 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35907280)
Through VM I get BT Sport and Sky Sport though I'm only really interested in the football (just a passing interest in Test cricket). I pay a lot for this and have explored the alternative of Sky Sports Day Passes on Now TV, but it doesn't really save me a great deal and I'd lose BT Sport and its coverage of the Champions League, which I do watch. I'd also miss out on La Liga and those Premiership games that don't involve my team but are of interest, and Monday Night Football is always worth watching for the Neville/Carragher analysis.
Even if the new selective pricing does come to VM it's more a marketing exercise than a saving opportunity for me, and I think that will be true for many.

Same. My main thing is rugby, BT have the lions share (and from next season, all) the club games but Sky have the internationals & SANZAR.

There's a couple of other sports that I'll watch if they're on, but wouldn't pay extra for.

Looks like I'd need to have Action & Arena to get these, and then I'd only save a fiver a month overall. And that's before any bundle discounts.

vincerooney 11-07-2017 12:28

What i dont get is what they'll do to fill the channels? A channel dedicated to rugby and a channel to cricket?

Does this mean we'll get more county cricket or more rugby games? I havent heard of any new contracts so im guessing like the f1 channel itll just become channels of old highlights...

theone2k10 11-07-2017 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35907314)
Good grief we don't often agree.:)

Haha i think big changes are coming tbh i don't think bt sport will be in xl but i do think vm and bt may come to an agreement where BT sport is offered at a discounted rate to xl customers.
Apart from money VM really have nothing to offer in return had they still had their channels aka living then they could of been used possibly as a bargaining chip.

denphone 11-07-2017 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35907321)
Haha i think big changes are coming tbh i don't think bt sport will be in xl but i do think vm and bt may come to an agreement where BT sport is offered at a discounted rate to xl customers.
Apart from money VM really have nothing to offer in return had they still had their channels aka living then they could of been used possibly as a bargaining chip.

Well lets see what the wind blows in as it might be from a nice direction perhaps.

nialli 11-07-2017 13:01

Quote:

I don't agree: Virgin Media has audience, something BT Sport is still desperate to attract to justify the inflated prices it has been paying for sport rights. I'd suggest viewing numbers are more important to BT than adding second-tier channels to their own TV offering.
If BT Sport lost its VM viewers it would really, really struggle to justify to shareholders its expenditure on Rights.

spiderplant 11-07-2017 13:14

Quote:

Apart from money..

Have you ever tried going shopping with a basket full of produce from your garden instead of money? I bet it doesn't go down too well in Tesco. It's all about money.

Quote:

VM really have nothing to offer in return had they still had their channels aka living then they could of been used possibly as a bargaining chip.

I'll invite you once more to remind us what delights Living brought us when VM did own it...

jj20x 11-07-2017 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35907319)
What i dont get is what they'll do to fill the channels? A channel dedicated to rugby and a channel to cricket?

Does this mean we'll get more county cricket or more rugby games? I havent heard of any new contracts so im guessing like the f1 channel itll just become channels of old highlights...

Maybe they will just do what Sky does best and temporarily re-brand a channel when its regular content is thin on the ground.

theone2k10 11-07-2017 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35907335)
Have you ever tried going shopping with a basket full of produce from your garden instead of money? I bet it doesn't go down too well in Tesco. It's all about money.

I'll invite you once more to remind us what delights Living brought us when VM did own it...

Well vm treated the channel far better than SKY have imo.
As for your Tesco comment, grow up. You know full well what i meant.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35907325)
Well lets see what the wind blows in as it might be from a nice direction perhaps.

Absolutely agree sir.

spiderplant 11-07-2017 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35907338)
As for your Tesco comment, grow up. You know full well what i meant.

I was trying to illiustrate with an example from everyday life. Just like everything else in modern business, content gets paid for, not bartered.

denphone 11-07-2017 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35907335)

If you invest in high quality content then the scenario could have been very much different.