Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Cricket : The General Cricket Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=29786)

iadom 13-09-2005 19:04

Re: Cricket

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham

And what about us finding a Shane Warne from somewhere? And if that was Australia "below par", it's a damn good job they weren't on top form!!

Warne is a once in a lifetime, if your lucky player, chances are that neither of us will ever see anyone as good, ever again.

I don't think the Aussies were below par, I think that was their best shot, they are past their 'sell by date'.
To be honest, I don't think this Australian side have ever been a 'super' side.
The simple fact is that they have had 6 or 7 very good batsmen and 2 world class bowlers. This coincided with a period in which the rest of world cricket was at its lowest level in terms of real class for a very long time. Try to name really 'World Class' players over the past fifteen years. The West Indies have Brian Lara, India, Sachin Tendulkar, Sri Lanka have Murali ( but a lot of knowledgable people think that he is a chucker ). Pakistan had Wasim & Wakar, but they were on the way down a long time ago. N.Zealand have only ever had Richard Hadlee in the past, who could definately be deemed World Class, South Africa have had Alan Donald, possibly Shaune Pollock and maybe Lance Kluseiner [sp] for a short period, ( no coincidence that they pushed the Aussies more than anyone else). So you see there has been a dearth of real talent in depth for a long, long time.
I am absolutely certain that if this current Australian side, even at its very best, came up against the West Indies sides of the mid to late 70's and early 80's they would get hammered.
Note, no English players in my list. but that doesn't include the present team.:)

yesman 13-09-2005 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom
I am absolutely certain that if this current Australian side, even at its very best, came up against the West Indies sides of the mid to late 70's and early 80's they would get hammered.
team.:)

Agreed !!

Downloads 13-09-2005 19:17

Quote:

Oh gods, here we go...

:rofl: If you're an analyst, I'm astonished that you can make such a statement with (presumably) a straight face!!!

Stats don't lie, but there are Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics which can be made to prove anything you want!!

It doesn't tell me anything of the sort and any analyst worth their salt shouldn't need me to point that out!

What about catches dropped (either whilst fielding or them being dropped whilst batting)? Run outs missed? Number of times the ball beat the bat? Number of "near misses" where the batsman just escaped being out eg nearly playing on? What about dodgy runs or bad calls where they were almost run out? What about sheer grit and determination, eg the Aussies needing to survive some incredibly hostile bowling with one wicket left to win the match? What about them simply not crumbling under pressure?

I know more about analysis than you mate. Lies and damned lies is ONLY true in certain circumstances. Those stats speak for themselves, no one has put a slant on them, they are facts. If you think those stats are made to prove a point, then.... :dunce: And i'm astonished that someone who appears to think they know what they are talking about can't see simple facts. I am worth my salt, the government pays me lots of money for it. I don't need you to point anything out, especially someone who can't read basic stats.

Yeah lets display near run outs and near misses cos they would be really useful to tell who won a test match :dunce: . Near misses bare no relevance, even if they did we would probably win in that category too cos Australia could barely create any near misses let alone clear opportunities. Grit and determination would be another great stat, not. Anyway i won't be revisiting this thread, i made my point. Learn to read stats mate, cya ;)

bayonet 13-09-2005 19:29

The most important stat of the lot is England 2 Australia 1 simplistic I know but that's what the record will show in 50 or 100 years from now.

Talking about Pietersen dropping catches the Aussies dropped him 3 times yesterday including a sitter by the brilliant Mr Warne.

The Matt Hayden catch was harder but Gilchrist stuck a glove in ( the deflection spotted by Rod Marsh, not a bad keeper himself I remember)

This is what makes this game so fascinating, may be boring to some but I find horse racing boring. But the skill and guts required to ride in The Grand National are amazing and you wouldn't get me on a horse jumping those fences for love or money.

Graham 14-09-2005 02:51

Quote:

Quote:

And what about us finding a Shane Warne from somewhere? And if that was Australia "below par", it's a damn good job they weren't on top form!!

Warne is a once in a lifetime, if your lucky player, chances are that neither of us will ever see anyone as good, ever again.

That I can well agree with.

Quote:

I don't think the Aussies were below par, I think that was their best shot, they are past their 'sell by date'.
To be honest, I don't think this Australian side have ever been a 'super' side.
The simple fact is that they have had 6 or 7 very good batsmen and 2 world class bowlers. This coincided with a period in which the rest of world cricket was at its lowest level in terms of real class for a very long time.
I see what you're saying and, yes, I can agree with it up to a point, the question is, now, though, whether England are actually a "super side" or they've just come along at the right time when the Aussies are on the decline.

Quote:

Possibly, but there again, how much of that depended on a few devastating pace bowlers plus some good batsmen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gruff_rhodes
Quote:

:rofl: If you're an analyst, I'm astonished that you can make such a statement with (presumably) a straight face!!!

Stats don't lie, but there are Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics which can be made to prove anything you want!!

It doesn't tell me anything of the sort and any analyst worth their salt shouldn't need me to point that out!

What about catches dropped (either whilst fielding or them being dropped whilst batting)? Run outs missed? Number of times the ball beat the bat? Number of "near misses" where the batsman just escaped being out eg nearly playing on? What about dodgy runs or bad calls where they were almost run out? What about sheer grit and determination, eg the Aussies needing to survive some incredibly hostile bowling with one wicket left to win the match? What about them simply not crumbling under pressure?

I know more about analysis than you mate.

I'm sure you do, mate.

That doesn't make my arguments invalid, nor the details above irrelevant.

Quote:

Lies and damned lies is ONLY true in certain circumstances. Those stats speak for themselves, no one has put a slant on them, they are facts. If you think those stats are made to prove a point, then.... :dunce: And i'm astonished that someone who appears to think they know what they are talking about can't see simple facts. I am worth my salt, the government pays me lots of money for it. I don't need you to point anything out, especially someone who can't read basic stats.
Yes, the stats are facts, I don't deny that, nor would I.

However your statement that "no one has put a slant on them" is more than a little disingenuous because that's exactly what you *have* done by saying "it does tell you that you are wrong and the Australians didn't play better", which is by no means the case.

If a team loses, but has created dozens of chances (even if they muffed them all), would you say they have played "better" or "worse" than one that only created a few, but took full advantage of them?

It's not a simple question.

Quote:

Yeah lets display near run outs and near misses cos they would be really useful to tell who won a test match :dunce: Near misses bare no relevance, even if they did we would probably win in that category too cos Australia could barely create any near misses let alone clear opportunities.
For someone who claims to be an analyst, I'm astonished that you can casually dismiss information like this as of "no relevance" and then when you go on to say even if they *were* relevant "we would probably win in that category too" (supposition not based on *facts*!!) my irony meter starts bleeping!

Quote:

Grit and determination would be another great stat, not.
If an analyst thinks that a team not falling apart under pressure is not relevant to the situation, I think he would need to get out into the real world a little more! :rofl:

Quote:

Anyway i won't be revisiting this thread, i made my point. Learn to read stats mate, cya ;)
Ah, and now we have you "declaring victory" and claiming as a fact (when it's only an *opinion*!) that you have "made your point".

If our government are paying you a lot of money, I wonder if we're really getting value for it...!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayonet
The most important stat of the lot is England 2 Australia 1 simplistic I know but that's what the record will show in 50 or 100 years from now.

Sorry, but I don't agree.

Which do you think will go down in history as one of the "greatest" series ever? The 1981 test series where England won against all the odds? The West Indies scoring a 5-0 whitewash over England? Or this test series just happened?

Whilst the Windies winning 5-0 was certainly very impressive, it wasn't really a great series, unlike the other two where there was a real challenge to both sides.

bayonet 14-09-2005 08:08

I think that's why people love any sport the arguments, sorry debates, about the greatest,worst match, player, team etc.

Point is the game itself has changed, and that's not a cop out.

Despite the success of the Ashes SS3 showed a game at Edgbaston yesterday and it was 3 men and a dog watching. The test game is nearly becoming a replica of the one day game it happens so fast and if that means entertaining then good but will it bring the crowds back?

Regarding best or greatest everyone will say it is the best they have seen. But take the words of that great cricket sage St Richie of Benaud, who's seen a few in his time, and he says it's the best.

Who am I to argue?

iadom 14-09-2005 09:42

Quote:

I see what you're saying and, yes, I can agree with it up to a point, the question is, now, though, whether England are actually a "super side" or they've just come along at the right time when the Aussies are on the decline.

Possibly, but there again, how much of that depended on a few devastating pace bowlers plus some good batsmen

England are still a long way from a 'super side' . The more I think about the more I am coming to think that neither is the current Aussie side. This test series is without doubt the first time ever that they have been faced with a high quality , four pronged, pace attack. I cannot believe that seven front line batsmen can all lose form at the exact same moment, They came into the series with the top six boasting a test average of around 50, but finished the series with the top seven averaging just over 30, so perhaps they were never as invincible as we all thought.

And as for the Windies it was hardly a few, as good as the current England attack is, perm any four from Roberts, Holding, Marshall, Garner, Walsh, Ambrose, Patterson, Clarke etc, etc, and you have an attack that makes the England bowlers look like pussy cats in comparison. I also think that Haynes, Greenidge, Lloyd, Kallicharan [sp] Richards, Hooper, would be a far better batting line up as well.

Gogogo 14-09-2005 11:31

Still recovering. The 5th Test was marvellous, enjoyed every minute, every sound of bat on willow, superb. Though I'm pleased the England team won, I would have accepted defeat as several Aussie played magnificently, Shane Warne is a terrific player, he handles those cricket balls as if they were part of his arm, a magnificent bowler to watch, sheer poetry in motion and he seemed to be an unofficial Australian captain! ;)

Whilst it's true Pieterson dropped catches he made up for errors, he is a good sportsman as indeed are the rest of the team. Probably Ian Bell the most disappointing player but then it's a game and these things happen. Vaughan an excellent captain, showed leadership, good field positions most of the time. Strauss again he showed he was a capable player, Flintoff brilliant, Harmison, Hoggard also marvellous players. Ashley Giles superb peformance, his 59 runs brilliant, Geraint Jones well he always does his best. Collingwood couldn't really replace Simon Jones but then who could? Credit also belongs to Duncan Fletcher, now a UK citizen and a most welcome citizen. No doubt all the other backroom boys and girls who also in their own way backed up the team. :)

It was marvellous cricket absolutely marvellous. I will miss Richie Benaud's commentories, he now joins the audio library with John Arlott, ah those were the days! :)

However, Channel 4 :td: has demonstrated to me that it is not a worthy broadcaster of cricket it cared little for cricket viewers on the days when racing was on - by leaving its viewers lost many terrestrial viewers could not tune in to Film 4. At least cricket will be in Sky Sports safe hands :tu: in the future.

bayonet 14-09-2005 12:13

Yes Fletcher is a good coach he made Glamorgan into a good side winning the Championship and we'd be glad to have him back at the moment.

Until Monday I've been impressed with Brett Lee, his bowling on Monday wasn't quite there for some reason.

Rod Marsh's view on TMS was why give him (Lee) a field where he can bowl badly. With the right field to attack his argument was if he can't bowl where he's asked to then get off

Straight as always our Rod.

At Trent Bridge he looked as if he could run right through the lot.

He was sheer controlled aggression that day and but for dropped catches again it could have been a different story.

I don't hear the name Thorpe being mentioned anywhere in the press yesterday or today.

yesman 14-09-2005 12:50

The mud slinging has started down under.......

Quote:

Australia's senior players have spoken out in support of Ricky Ponting after Test legend Dennis Lillee called for him to be replaced as captain.
Lillee believes making Shane Warne skipper would "dramatically improve" their chances of regaining the Ashes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/4244302.stm

bayonet 14-09-2005 13:01

Is that the same as The Football Chairman's dreaded "Vote of Confidence in my manager"?

It did seem at times Warne was running the show and there were mutterings that he was annoyed about Ponting's decision to field first in the 2nd test. Didn't seem to affect his bowling though

Ponting's decision wasn't the best when your top pace bowler had just injured his ankle.:td:

It's like taking your top outside half on a Lions tour when he's injured....oops sorry :p:

Gogogo 14-09-2005 13:03

Ponting doesn't seem much of a sportsman :td: he is the proverbial Australian whinger. Shane Warne is magnificent :tu: , he should have been captain, now I think he's probably too old and thought this was his last test match. :erm:

yesman 14-09-2005 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayonet
Is that the same as The Football Chairman's dreaded "Vote of Confidence in my manager"?

It did seem at times Warne was running the show and there were mutterings that he was annoyed about Ponting's decision to field first in the 2nd test. Didn't seem to affect his bowling though

Not a good idea when your top pace bowler has just injured his ankle

I used to think Ponting was ok, but looking at things from the Aussie point of view, I guess he isn't quite up to the job, things like.....
Setting a defensive field for a new batsman.
Whinging about the use of England's 12th man
Not telling Gilchrist to keep quiet in between balls :D
Plus a few other things which do not spring to mind at the moment

Shadow Demon UK 14-09-2005 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gogogo
Ponting doesn't seem much of a sportsman :td: he is the proverbial Australian whinger. Shane Warne is magnificent :tu: , he should have been captain, now I think he's probably too old and thought this was his last test match. :erm:

But why should he stop now? He was by far the best Australian player, took the most wickets overall and was batting very well for a tail ender. He didnt seem to be tireing on Monday when he was constantly bowling throughout the day.

I think he should carry on and make that record of most test wickets that he holds a little harder to get for the next great bowler.

Gogogo 14-09-2005 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK
But why should he stop now? He was by far the best Australian player, took the most wickets overall and was batting very well for a tail ender. He didnt seem to be tireing on Monday when he was constantly bowling throughout the day.

I think he should carry on and make that record of most test wickets that he holds a little harder to get for the next great bowler.

Sadly he's 36 years of age now, he has said apparently that he has played his last test match. I agree :) , without him Australia would have been thrashed, even Mcgrath now over 35 :) was not quite on form after his accident.

homealone 14-09-2005 14:36

for a laugh, try the quiz

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funn...me/4245040.stm

- I got 8/10 :angel:

bayonet 14-09-2005 16:44

Got 7/10 right in the quiz got the bowling average wrong..........damn, Ponting who would have thought eh

I would think if he stays fit Warne might play in 14 months in Australia against England

McGrath's a doubt with the injuries he's had so they are looking for 2 bowlers possibly 3 or 4.

The spinner McGill also a leggie don't know how old he is though, the quickie is the problem Kasprowicz and Gillespie will not be involved which leaves Lee and Tait

Andrew Symonds blotted his copybook before the one dayer against Bangla Desh but I'd have had him in from the start and dropped Katich

Anyone know of any Aussie quicks coming through the ranks?

iadom 15-09-2005 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by timewarrior2001

England may have been the better team this series, but Australia will outclass us and play us of the pitch next chance they get.

Australia's next generation don't appear to be setting the world on fire.:)

Playing against Pakistan A, Australia A were bowled out for 196 and 130 to lose in three days, oh dear.:D

iadom 15-09-2005 17:54

1 Attachment(s)
Amusing cricket story from our local paper.

yesman 19-09-2005 09:22

BBC

Quote:

Andrew Flintoff has tipped England to become a "superpower" of world cricket after their Ashes defeat of Australia.
Lets not get too carried away eh?

bayonet 19-09-2005 09:30

Yes one swallow does not make a summer..........answers on a postcard to...............

I think Fred has still got a bit of the jungle juice in him from last Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday.

BBKing 19-09-2005 09:54

And Monday. I came back to the country (having missed a week of cricket mania) to find pictures of him looking like he'd been freshly dug up. Time for a few early-morning runs, Freddie.

iadom 11-10-2005 10:53

Now THIS is how the noble game should be played, this would really bring in the crowds. :D

Methinks the offender was aptly named.

Graham 11-10-2005 19:52

Quote:

Now THIS is how the noble game should be played, this would really bring in the crowds. :D

Perhaps you're not familiar with Brockian Ultra Cricket?

http://www.earthstar.co.uk/cricket.htm

Pay particular attention to Rules 4 and 5:

Rule Four:

Throw lots of assorted items of sporting equipment over the walls for the players. Anything will do - cricket bats, basecube bats, tennis guns, skis, anything you can get a good swing with.

Rule five:

The players should now lay about themselves for all they are worth with whatever they find to hand. Whenever a player scores a 'hit' on another player, he should immediately run away and apologize from a safe distance.

Apologies should be concise, sincere and, for maximum clarity and points, delivered through a megaphone

Clearly this player should have been disqualified for failing to deliver an appropriate apology! :)

yesman 31-10-2005 08:04

After the Lord Mayors show...............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/4390272.stm

BBKing 31-10-2005 11:49

Well, it's a 14-a-side practice match. Ended up 256 for 9, which is better than the top order boys (Tresco apart, who made 124) had any right to expect! Now let's see the bowlers...

iadom 01-11-2005 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKing
Now let's see the bowlers...

England declared overnight, Pakistani Patrons side 211 AO. Anderson. Plunkett & Udal take three wickets each, and get this , Jones takes FIVE catches.:Yikes:

BBKing 01-11-2005 11:05

Last pair put on a bit too much though, but still good to see the spare bowlers getting some wickets - one of them's got to replace Jones the Bowler and those are big shoes to fill.

England 23-2 now, in reply though...some of the reserve players getting a run.

yesman 02-11-2005 13:17

If you had asked me at 8 O'Clock this morning, I would have paid good money on a Patron's XI victory.

Oh ye of little faith

BBC Sport

BBKing 02-11-2005 21:49

Heh - I think Vaughan had a point when he said that if there's a pitch like that in the first Test it'll be over in two days.

yesman 14-11-2005 08:17

C'mon England 400 for 8
Trescothick 193 :tu:

BBKing 14-11-2005 13:08

Rather well balanced - bit of a collapse from England, Pietersen injured himself stopping a four followed by a stirring fightback from Pakistan with the bat - until Freddie knocked one of them over just before the close. England can't seem to have a boring Test these days! Gripping stuff.

iadom 15-11-2005 10:56

Exciting finish on the cards, England set 198 to win, fantastic catch by Bell close in, and shock, horror, KP takes a catch. :)

yesman 16-11-2005 05:51

England 92 for 5, 2nd innings, maybe a defeat is on the cards :disturbd:

yesman 16-11-2005 06:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesman

117 for 7 now :(

basa 16-11-2005 09:30

Quote:

Yup .. we LOST !!

Why am I not surprised ?

Saaf_laandon_mo 16-11-2005 12:00

Quote from todays Metro....Flintoff : "We will wrap up Victory"
Am I the only one smiling (failed the tebbit test miserably!).

Aragorn 21-12-2005 15:59

Annual cricket quiz on BBC website. Managed to get 9/12.

Pity about the Pakistan series, but at least we got the last word and India to look forward to.

Saaf_laandon_mo 21-12-2005 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aragorn
Annual cricket quiz on BBC website. Managed to get 9/12.

Pity about the Pakistan series, but at least we got the last word and India to look forward to.

and what last word was that? i thought the series was over when we won 3-1

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

But seriously tho, it was a good series, and England did come up against a well disciplined Pakistani side. Its a shame we didnt see mor eof Vaughn in the series as I feel England missed his captaincy badly. Threcothic is nott as dynamic and it would have been good to see how Pakistan would have coped with unorthodox field positions, constant field changes, unsettling behavious (biut all very sporting) as employed in the ashes

yesman 31-12-2005 00:36

Honours for Ashes and 2012 heroes.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/08/2.gifEngland's Ashes-winning cricketers and the team behind London's 2012 Olympic bid lead the sporting New Year Honours.
Cricket captain Michael Vaughan and coach Duncan Fletcher are made OBEs, as are chairman of selectors David Graveney and tour manager Phil Neale. England's women's captain Clare Connor is also appointed an OBE, while the rest of the men's team become MBEs.

No surprise there then :rolleyes:

yesman 04-03-2006 11:47

Nice One Cookie, a ton in his first test match :tu:

Declaration overnight please Freddie :erm:

TheDaddy 30-07-2006 12:17

Looks like it might be the end for him :(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/5228062.stm

joggerspark 09-08-2006 08:28

congrats :clap: to the England team for the latest test match series win thus winning me my bet at 13/2... :D

Legendary_PSR 18-08-2006 01:07

don't get me wrong, i'm not panesar's biggest fan(which is a difficult status to achieve anyway), but i don't get how he can get axed from the team for "not being able to bat and field" as long as matthew hoggard is still in the lineup

TheDaddy 18-08-2006 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendary_PSR
don't get me wrong, i'm not panesar's biggest fan(which is a difficult status to achieve anyway), but i don't get how he can get axed from the team for "not being able to bat and field" as long as matthew hoggard is still in the lineup

You can carry one player, who can't bat/ field well quite easily, two is tricky though, in going for Hoggard, I suppose they chose the one which brings the most to the team.

Legendary_PSR 19-08-2006 15:59

i see ur point but, to be fair, take away the new ball and what exactly does hoggard bring to the team?

Legendary_PSR 20-08-2006 18:00

well, congratulations go to the umpire who ruined the reputation of an entire cricketing nation to prove the point that he is a complete and utter moron.

when, in reality, his umpiring proved that anyway. i hope they ban him

yes, i've been in a critical mood all week. it does pass :)

yesman 20-08-2006 20:49

Has anyone made allegations about the ball tampering accusation, I can't find any definite news about it anywhere.

All I have heard is that the England team came back out to play, Pakistan didn't (under protest) and thats it :shrug:

homealone 20-08-2006 21:03

Quote:

Has anyone made allegations about the ball tampering accusation, I can't find any definite news about it anywhere.

All I have heard is that the England team came back out to play, Pakistan didn't (under protest) and thats it :shrug:

I've only read the BBC website report & there seems to still be doubt as to whether Pakistan were assumed to have conceded the game by the 'no show' after tea. The ball was alleged by the umpires to have been deliberately scuffed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...250.stm#tamper

- the most annoying thing to me, is the seeming disregard for the thousands of paying customers in the crowd ....

yesman 20-08-2006 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by homealone
I've only read the BBC website report & there seems to still be doubt as to whether Pakistan were assumed to have conceded the game by the 'no show' after tea. The ball was alleged by the umpires to have been deliberately scuffed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...250.stm#tamper

- the most annoying thing to me, is the seeming disregard for the thousands of paying customers in the crowd ....

The picture is clearer now - thanks Gaz :tu:

sir_drinks_alot 20-08-2006 21:19

fourth test cancelled tomorrow bet thay keep all the gate money :mad:

iadom 20-08-2006 21:50

What i want to see is Darrell Hair & Inzi come out with the gloves on to sort it out, now that is something I would pay to watch :D

Appointing Darrell Hair to umpire any match involving Asian countries was always going to be fraught with danger but he is is very good company when he calls Murali as a 'chucker' ;)

Legendary_PSR 20-08-2006 22:34

the story on every news programme and what actually happened are different. at the start of it all, pakistan delayed coming out, and when they did choose to, the umpires and the england players were walking off the field.

then they refused to come out of their dressingroom with the exception of kamran akmal, who probably wanted to read the paper in peace :)

Legendary_PSR 20-08-2006 22:36

not even the article tells the story properly. not at all a surprise

yesman 20-08-2006 23:14

Quote:

not even the article tells the story properly. not at all a surprise

So what is the your version of events then ?

Legendary_PSR 20-08-2006 23:22

i watched it live and when the england players and the umpires went out the first time, pakistan delayed coming out. then the umpires and players headed back in and as they were doing that, the pakistan players headed out to continue play. however, they stopped when the umpires refused to turn round and head to the wicket(and thusly allow play to continue). it was then that inzamam ordered his players back into the dressing room.

THEN they refused to come out until kamran akmal wanted to read the paper. the rest is pretty much accurate(except for the coach scratching the ball, i can't recall either way whether that happened)

it's a pretty important event as it shows that pakistan were eventually willing to play on, it was the umpires who decided that wouldn't happen.

but, as always, the biased english media seems to miss out important events just to make their story.

i wouldn't really refer to it as my "version of events" though :)

yesman 20-08-2006 23:28

Quote:

i watched it live and when the england players and the umpires went out the first time, pakistan delayed coming out. then the umpires and players headed back in and as they were doing that, the pakistan players headed out to continue play. however, they stopped when the umpires refused to turn round and head to the wicket(and thusly allow play to continue). it was then that inzamam ordered his players back into the dressing room.

THEN they refused to come out until kamran akmal wanted to read the paper. the rest is pretty much accurate(except for the coach scratching the ball, i can't recall either way whether that happened)

it's a pretty important event as it shows that pakistan were eventually willing to play on, it was the umpires who decided that wouldn't happen.

but, as always, the biased english media seems to miss out important events just to make their story

Well I have just read the following.......

Quote:

"In accordance with the laws of cricket it was noted that the umpires had correctly deemed that Pakistan had forfeited the match and awarded the test to England," read a statement on behalf of the International Cricket Council, England and Wales Cricket Board and the Pakistan Cricket Board.
Link

Legendary_PSR 20-08-2006 23:41

good to see the ICC chose to say something, and have made the right decision in accordance to the rules.

now if only the dumb umpire had actually named the player he thought cheated, instead of just being childish, the whole situation could've been avoided

yesman 21-08-2006 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_drinks_alot
fourth test cancelled tomorrow bet thay keep all the gate money :mad:

Quote:

Some tickets had been sold in advance for the final day of the match and fans who had purchased them will automatically receive a full refund. Fans who were at The Oval on Sunday will be eligible for a 40% refund on their admission price and can claim it by following the instructions on the back of their ticket.
BBC Sport

sir_drinks_alot 21-08-2006 09:00

here's the best website for cricket info

http://www.cricinfo.com/

Legendary_PSR 21-08-2006 12:49

yeah, it's a great site

bayonet 21-08-2006 17:24

It's a real shame what's happened although in the Laws of cricket it appears correct. What is the problem here is the way it was handled with no warning of what was going on. I know the umpire does not have to tell the fielding captain why, in the case of alledged tampering but he could have had a quiet word before hand.

This happened within 10 minutes of Alistair Cook being given out and don't forget until Pietersen had his usual rush of blood when he got out, he had clouted a couple of sixes. Did the damage occur then? What evidence did the umpire have that warranted changing the ball? It also appears Pakistan were not told they would forfeit the match if they did not go back out.

I find that strange because 1) There are enough umpires around 4 to be exact that could have passed the message on and 2) Bob Woolmer (Pakistan coach) has been around long enough to have some idea of the consequences

davidweller 21-08-2006 23:04

Ian Botham was saying this morning that between Cooke getting out and the ball being changed only one boundary was scored and that was a 4.

The ball would have been viewed by the umpires when the wicket went down, and was ok then. When they looked at it a little later, they obviously felt that the condition had been changed beyond normal wear and tear.

They may not have seen anyone actually tamper with the ball, but in their opinion this was the cause of the change of condition.

Perhaps it would have been better if they had just changed the ball as no longer fit for use.

Legendary_PSR 21-08-2006 23:49

Quote:

They may not have seen anyone actually tamper with the ball, but in their opinion this was the cause of the change of condition.
and they were wrong to think that as they didn't actually see that and, when asked, refused to comment on it cos they didn't have any proof. you can't just accuse someone of "cheating" without actually having proof. and if someone had cheated, why wasn't that player kicked off the field?

Quote:

Perhaps it would have been better if they had just changed the ball as no longer fit for use.
i see your thinking, but then the question would be "why wasn't it fit for use?" and then they would end up going round in circles.

i hope the investigation humiliates the umpire although, to be fair, just showing the "quality" of his decision making is enough to do that.

i do think the PCB is wrong to say they won't play with him as the umpire again. i can understand it(or quite frankly why any team would refuse to play with the idiot in charge) but you can't just do a "juve"(and a certain other club) and get the officials you want for a match

sorry, going off on one again. just love controversy in sports :)

TheDaddy 22-08-2006 09:53

I see Pakistan have said they don't want Hair to umpire their matches in future, saying that he has a problem with South Asian sides (using the race card?), I maybe wrong but the only controversy I have seen him involved with was when he accused Muralitheran of chucking.

iadom 22-08-2006 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy
I see Pakistan have said they don't want Hair to umpire their matches in future, saying that he has a problem with South Asian sides (using the race card?), I maybe wrong but the only controversy I have seen him involved with was when he accused Muralitheran of chucking.

And giving Inzi run out last winter when he was actually ducking out of the way of a throw at the stumps by Harmision.;)
Plus lots of decisions that seem to go against them in the winter and in the last test.

davidweller 22-08-2006 10:16

Quote:

Plus lots of decisions that seem to go against them in the winter and in the last test.

I have noticed this with Hair a number of times as I also watch Tests not involving England.

In matches between Asian and non-Asian sides, if there is a marginal decision, Hair always seems to favour the non-Asian side.

Of course, I could be wrong; he may be the greatest umpire cricket has even known and I'm just too ignorant to see it.

Legendary_PSR 22-08-2006 14:31

taufel and bucknor should've been allowed to umpire the whole series, as they are the only two reliable umpires except for aleem dar(whose name i have no idea how to spell :)). although dar does make th eodd glaring error

hair also gave 8 indian batsman out lbw in one test against australia when none of them should've been given

Quote:

(using the race card?),
that's what i thought too

bayonet 22-08-2006 17:17

He's been involved in ball tampering incidents before with Pakistan and the running on the pitch during England's last winter tour to Pakistan. The running on the pitch incident resulting in rough patches for Kaneria to exploit. One thing if there was a suspicion of ball tampering,to create reverse swing, why weren't wickets falling all over the place.

England seemed to be coping ok, now today it emerges Duncan Fletcher went to see the match referee before play on Sunday. There's an alleged report of one of the England players watching the Pakistan team through binoculars

Strange Sky TV never picked up anything though just Hair watching one of the Pakistan bowlers handing the ball back after polishing it

iadom 22-08-2006 17:49

Apparently Mohammad Asif, the fast bowler who came into the last test played for Leicestershire earlier in the season. He demonstrated the art of swing bowling 'in all its guises';) to his Leicestershire team mates. This information would have been passed onto the England management so it is no wonder they where keeping a suspicious eye on things.

davidweller 23-08-2006 09:43

Quote:

And giving Inzi run out last winter when he was actually ducking out of the way of a throw at the stumps by Harmision.;)

This is a myth.

Hair passed this incident to the tv umpire (a Pakistani) for adjudication...and he (the tv umpire) gave Inzi out.

Legendary_PSR 23-08-2006 17:22

what really bugs me is that, in this great oversensitive world of ours where racial tensioons are strained, the written media is absolutely obsessed with trying to stir things up as much as possible

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

good to see stuart broad get called up for the one day series

TheDaddy 16-10-2006 19:43

It seems even cricket can't avoid being tarnished by performance enhancing drugs
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6055410.stm

davidweller 28-10-2006 19:13

England finally win one...when it's too late. :)

yesman 03-11-2006 19:32

Hair 'sacked from internationals' ?

Quote:

The International Cricket Council has refused to comment on reports that Australian Darrell Hair has been removed from its elite umpires panel.
So maybe he still has the job, we should find out tomorrow

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6115114.stm

yesman 04-11-2006 12:22

Confirmed

yesman 18-11-2006 01:24

Englands cricket future has never looked so rosey :erm:

But as long as we retain "The Ashes" (:rofl:) , a match against India in a few years time won't matter :o:

iadom 22-11-2006 17:12

Not long to go now.:cool:
Check out the Telegraph Ashes site, look at Bay 13, the Barmy Army have drawn first blood by stuffing the Aussie Fanatics. nice links to all the grounds with excellent satellite shots.

Jim.

http://tinyurl.com/ycuaor

Bay 13.
http://tinyurl.com/ymw7gq

TheDaddy 22-11-2006 17:20

Any ideas on who will get the nod, Giles or Panesar, personally I can see both sides of the argument and therefore can't make my mind up :rolleyes: ;)

yesman 22-11-2006 23:05

Come on England :)

---------- Post added at 23:05 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34164362)
Any ideas on who will get the nod, Giles or Panesar, personally I can see both sides of the argument and therefore can't make my mind up :rolleyes: ;)

Quote:

The countdown is over in Brisbane - England have named their team and it is Ashley Giles that has won the nod ahead of Monty Panesar in the starting XI

Shadow Demon UK 22-11-2006 23:21

Quote:

The countdown is over in Brisbane - England have named their team and it is Ashley Giles that has won the nod ahead of Monty Panesar in the starting XI
Thats the decision i was expecting, even though i think its the wrong one. Panesar is a much better wicket tacker compared to Giles who has been out for a year with an injury, even though he can get more runs than Panesar i was hopeing that Montys form would get him the place.

Oh well, COME ON ENGLAND!! :D

pedantic 22-11-2006 23:25

Well, I certainly hope we can shut the aussies up..............AGAIN !! :D

Shadow Demon UK 22-11-2006 23:35

England lost the toss... a sign of things to come?

yesman 23-11-2006 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK (Post 34164732)
England lost the toss... a sign of things to come?

Harmison has the jitters methinks, first ball went straight to second slip :rolleyes: Wide or what :D

Shadow Demon UK 23-11-2006 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesman (Post 34164753)
Harmison has the jitters methinks, first ball went straight to second slip :rolleyes: Wide or what :D

Nine off the first over... i can see this going badly. :erm:

yesman 23-11-2006 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK (Post 34164756)
Nine off the first over... i can see this going badly. :erm:

Yes.........I am not too optimistic I must admit, but you never know what might happen, I would think the aussies have the jitters as well (Well heres hoping anyway)

lauzjp 23-11-2006 09:51

omg - how bad was that last night / this morning?! :disturbd: serves England right for not picking Monty... (a fellow Lutonian) :p:

TheDaddy 23-11-2006 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK (Post 34164725)
Thats the decision i was expecting, even though i think its the wrong one. Panesar is a much better wicket tacker compared to Giles who has been out for a year with an injury, even though he can get more runs than Panesar i was hopeing that Montys form would get him the place.

Oh well, COME ON ENGLAND!! :D

I agree with everything you said, I am not convinced he will score more runs either, he hasn't swung a bat in anger for a year! Playing Monty would have made a statement, similar to that of Nasser Hussains a few years back all be it with totally different consequences

Saaf_laandon_mo 23-11-2006 12:17

Ashley Giles over Monty???!!! what a joke. Its decisions like that that peeve me off about english cricket. I think monty's career/profile will be elevated if he's not picked at all and the Aussies win teh series.

Giles was pretty lucky with his wicket too last nite.

lauzjp 26-11-2006 05:22

:disturbd: :( :sleep: :td: :banghead: etc.

how awful are England??? we're gonna lose this one - so just whack the blimmin' ball!? :rolleyes:

gc7 26-11-2006 11:48

A better day today but still 354 runs behind. Anyone else hoping it rains tomorrow?

TheDaddy 26-11-2006 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauzjp (Post 34166821)
:disturbd: :( :sleep: :td: :banghead: etc.

how awful are England??? we're gonna lose this one - so just whack the blimmin' ball!? :rolleyes:

From what I have seen that is part of the problem, giving their wickets away cheaply, tbh this pitch is the most inappropriate for English bowlers I have seen for quite a while, although if you can't bowl a decent line and length consistently what chance have you got, having said that though I think things will get better during the rest of the series, providing they start getting the basics right and don't let this performance affect them :tu: ;)

Shadow Demon UK 30-11-2006 23:37

England Squad announced for 2nd Test - No Panesar :(

Quote:

England have named an unchanged team for the second Ashes Test against Australia in Adelaide.
Hopefully we win the toss this time, otherwise i can see this test going the same way as the last. :erm:

yesman 30-11-2006 23:40

2nd Test in Adelaide. Due to start shortly

England name an unchanged side......:td:

Quote:

They had been widely expected to call up Monty Panesar as a second spinner to replace fast bowler James Anderson for the crucial match
Link

And just for the record: In their first innings in the last seven Tests in Adelaide, Australia have scored 428, 575, 556, 552, 439, 403, 441, going on to win six of the matches and losing just one.

Things ain't looking good :(

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK (Post 34169886)
England Squad announced for 2nd Test - No Panesar :(

Hopefully we win the toss this time, otherwise i can see this test going the same way as the last. :erm:

And there was me thinking I had all this thread to myself :D

Shadow Demon UK 30-11-2006 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesman (Post 34169888)
And just for the record: In their first innings in the last seven Tests in Adelaide, Australia have scored 428, 575, 556, 552, 439, 403, 441, going on to win six of the matches and losing just one.

Things ain't looking good :(

That's why its key for Freddie to win the toss. If we can get a good start on a wicket that is normally flat for the first couple of days we should have a good chance of at least a draw.:tu:

yesman 30-11-2006 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK (Post 34169893)
That's why its key for Freddie to win the toss. If we can get a good start on a wicket that is normally flat for the first couple of days we should have a good chance of at least a draw.:tu:

I admire your optimism, but I get the feeling that it won't matter who wins the toss, but, I hope I can be proved wrong

Shadow Demon UK 30-11-2006 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesman (Post 34169897)
I admire you optimism, but I get the feeling that it won't matter who wins the toss, but, I hope I can be proved wrong

I still cannot believe they are not playing Monty, i just fear they will play him when it's too late and then realise he can take wickets against Australia unlike Giles.

yesman 01-12-2006 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK (Post 34169900)
I still cannot believe they are not playing Monty, i just fear they will play him when it's too late and then realise he can take wickets against Australia unlike Giles.

Yep, I agree

England won the toss btw

Shadow Demon UK 01-12-2006 00:03

YES!! We won the toss :D

Come on England!:)

lauzjp 01-12-2006 07:30

q) how long have England been batting? a) all night / morning - and they've only managed 263-3... dearie me. I'd be so annoyed if I'd stayed up to watch it! oh well. at least they've only lost 3 so far... I am annoyed there's still no sign of Monty though! :(