Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33681059)

muppetman11 20-02-2012 14:17

Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Sky could offer Formula One in 3D

Quote:

Sky's dedicated Formula One channel launches on 9 March in SD and HD, and the broadcaster has revealed to Pocket-lint that it hopes to add 3D to that mix some time in the future.

Speaking at its Sky Studios complex, opened last summer, Martin Turner, executive producer of F1 HD, told us that 3D is very much part of Sky's ultimate plans for its coverage of the motorsport:

"We've got a lot of challenges and one of them will be, at some stage, to potentially do some 3D," he said.*"Some 3D testing."

However, Turner admits that actually filming a race in 3D could be difficult at present.*"One of the other challenges around that is that the teams - unlike in years gone by - are not allowed to drive their cars willy-nilly," he said.

"They're very much restricted with tests - three testing sessions, one last week and two in Barcelona next week - in order to keep down the costs.*So, the opportunity to find events where we could go and take our 3D cameras, to set up and show what it looks like are few and far between."

The other current barrier is that, unlike with other sports, the live HD pictures of the races taken around the world are supplied to Sky by Formula One itself, rather than shot by the broadcaster.

"We could be in a position to go and do some 3D, we have the 3D*capabilities in the terms of having the trucks," said Turner. "But there's the fact that we don't control the race pictures, which is*very unusual for a sport where you're a major rights holder.

"You would expect, for example, to be at least host in your territories. That's traditionally what's happened.

"I think our main concern is to get this first season up and running and do a great job, and there is still this little carrot of 3D. I would be lovely at some stage do some 3D, but none is carded at the moment."

Owen Williams, head of projects for Sky Sport’s Digital Media, agrees that it's important to focus on this, Sky's first, F1 season and then add new developments down the line:

"We're a few weeks into a seven-year relationship and what you see now, what we're going to offer in March 2012, will be far removed from what we can offer in March 2013, 2014, etc," he told us. "Certainly, from my team's point of view, we want to complement what Martin's doing now and then build and build and build.

"For example, the F1 section of our website has been revamped and relaunched and we're quite proud of that, the look and the way it works for the moment, but we feel it's just scratching the surface really of what we can do.

"It's all about establishing Sky's name as the market leaders in F1."

And 3D, it seems, will be very much a part of that in the future.

What do you think? Would you like to see Formula One in 3D? Let us know in the comments below...
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4447...ld-offer-f1-3d

denphone 20-02-2012 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35385029)

Well my own personal opinion on 3D is that l think it is a waste of time and money because for most people all they are interested in is just watching a programme even if it is just in SD and for the vast majority of people that satisfys their needs totally without incuring more expense at the end of the day which you will with 3D.

muppetman11 20-02-2012 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35385032)
Well my own personal opinion on 3D is that l think it is a waste of time and money because for most people all they are interested in is just watching a programme even if it is just in SD and for the vast majority of people that satisfys their needs totally without incuring more expense at the end of the day which you will with 3D.

Because they believe in better ;)

denphone 20-02-2012 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35385055)
Because they believe in better ;)

You means they believe in making us pay more master.;)

muppetman11 20-02-2012 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35385060)

For me though Den still considerably cheaper than the competition and a vastly better TV service no brainer really :)

denphone 20-02-2012 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35385063)
For me though Den still considerably cheaper than the competition and a vastly better TV service no brainer really :)

Oh dear here we go again:rolleyes: but the fact remains that both have their strengths and weaknesses as what suits one person does not suit another and thats all l have to say on the subject as l want to bring balance to the thread my master.:)

Media Boy UK 21-02-2012 12:25

BizAsia: ZEE Punjabi in overhaul with more original shows.

Quote:

To give new viewers a sample of the revamped ZEE Punjabi, the channel will be free-to-air from Monday 27th February up until Wednesday 14th March on Sky Digital channel 798

http://media247.co.uk/bizasia/newsar...punjabi_in.php

SkyFTW 21-02-2012 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35385060)

I think you'll find the average customer with a 10Mb BB phoneline top tv pack with movies will pay less on Sky than they would with Virginmedia.

Hugh 21-02-2012 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35385648)
I think you'll find the average customer with a 10Mb BB phoneline top tv pack with movies will pay less on Sky than they would with Virginmedia.

I think you will find an average Sky customer on 20Mb will get less than than they would with VM on 10Mb. ;)

Ofcom

muppetman11 21-02-2012 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35385918)
I think you will find an average Sky customer on 20Mb will get less than than they would with VM on 10Mb. ;)

Ofcom

Headline speed Hugh , my experience was useless when it came to gaming or streaming video and contention so bad some days doing an online shop was a chore.

denphone 21-02-2012 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35385928)
Headline speed Hugh , my experience was useless when it came to gaming or streaming video and contention so bad some days doing an online shop was a chore.

Yes you might have had a bad experience MM but the vast majority of people who have Virgins broadband get the speeds they were promised and suffiice to say that you don't get that with Skys broadband in a lot of cases.

muppetman11 21-02-2012 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35385932)
Yes you might have had a bad experience MM but the vast majority of people who have Virgins broadband get the speeds they were promised and suffiice to say that you don't get that with Skys broadband in a lot of cases.

I will wait for fibre from either BT or Sky shouldn't be too long here and traffic management free. To get back on topic Animal planet have been mentioning HD on shows again today so can't be too far away now.

denphone 21-02-2012 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35385937)
I will wait for fibre from either BT or Sky shouldn't be too long here and traffic management free.

l hope it lives up to your expectations as what looks bright and glitzy from the outside can sometimes be a big letdown when exposed to the reality and practicality of the real world.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35385937)
I will wait for fibre from either BT or Sky shouldn't be too long here and traffic management free. To get back on topic Animal planet have been mentioning HD on shows again today so can't be too far away now.

Yes l don't think it will be long before the HD variant of Animal Planet arrives.

SkyFTW 21-02-2012 22:59

Quote:

Ofcom

Yeah but the Sky user will hit those speeds 24 hours a day, the virginmedia user will be paying around £12 a month more and getting throttled to 2.5Mb if they download and throttled at peak times wether they download or not.

Personally I get 14Mb on Sky.

My BB cost is £7.50 for truely unlimited BB, I don't care if a VM user gets 20Mb on there 10Mb connection. £7.50 FOR UNMANAGED UNTHROTTLED internet is unbeatable. An ONLY Sky can offer me that.

An that offcom report says the AVERAGE Sky customer is getting 7.4-8.8 so lets average it to 8Mb, They could still down load more than a Virginmedia 20Mb, hitting 16.5 to 18Mb so average to17.2Mb customer over 24hours. An a hell of a lot more than a VM 10Mb customer. The 20Mb customer faces a 75% speed reduction if they download to much between 10am-3pm and again 4pm-9pm lol.

Hugh 21-02-2012 23:20

Good for you - happy that you are happy with what you have.

I am too.

LexDiamond 22-02-2012 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35385932)

Actually when you sign up for Sky they will tell you what your likely max speed and min speed are likely to be be. They will then give an actual speed that they believe will be the typical speed and if you get less than that then you can cancel within a certain period after instal.

So I don't think being sold the wrong speed is so much of an issue now with Sky BB.

SkyFTW 22-02-2012 09:19

Skys "cooling off period" for broadband is 3 months.

That means you can cancel at anytime in the first 3 months if you're not happy with your speeds.

richard1960 22-02-2012 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35386084)
Skys "cooling off period" for broadband is 3 months.

That means you can cancel at anytime in the first 3 months if you're not happy with your speeds.

Does this apply to the TV service as well if the broadband speed is insufficient to run sky anytime +

stereohaven 22-02-2012 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35385942)
l hope it lives up to your expectations as what looks bright and glitzy from the outside can sometimes be a big letdown when exposed to the reality and practicality of the real world.

Funnily enough, that's how I feel about Virgin Media...

:LOL:

denphone 22-02-2012 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35386105)
Funnily enough, that's how I feel about Virgin Media...

Well life is all about everybody having differing views and opinions and thats what makes this forum so good because if we all shared the same opinions life would be very boring indeed.:)

stereohaven 22-02-2012 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35386106)
Well life is all about everybody having differing views and opinions and thats what makes this forum so good because if we all shared the same opinions life would be very boring indeed.:)

Indeed.

For everyone that has a good experience (on both platforms), their will be someone who hasn't. ;)

richard1960 22-02-2012 10:18

I could give you a very long story about how sky mucked up 4 times and i took 4 half days off work with still no installation(or compensaion for their installers incompetance) .

So yes you are right peoples expieriences do make their opinions.:(

muppetman11 22-02-2012 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35386046)
Actually when you sign up for Sky they will tell you what your likely max speed and min speed are likely to be be. They will then give an actual speed that they believe will be the typical speed and if you get less than that then you can cancel within a certain period after instal.

So I don't think being sold the wrong speed is so much of an issue now with Sky BB.

Den doesn't do fact he prefers fiction :D

denphone 22-02-2012 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35386146)
Den doesn't do fact he prefers fiction :D

Yes muppetman and Flying Aliens in outer space (part one).:D
muppetman and the parallel universe (part two):D

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...time-ad-banned

Quote:

The advertising watchdog has banned a TV ad campaign by BSkyB aimed at users of its Anytime+ service after almost 100 complaints claimed it was misleading and unfair because Sky refused to offer the deal to all customers.

The TV ad campaign, which ran with the line "welcome to the world of better offers", targeted BSkyB customers who have subscriptions to Sky Movies 1 and 2 and the company's unlimited broadband package.

The campaign, developed by ad agency Brothers and Sisters, offered customers a free wireless connector to allow them to access the Anytime+ service, which offers a vast library of films and TV shows on-demand.

SkyFTW 22-02-2012 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35386120)
I could give you a very long story about how sky mucked up 4 times and i took 4 half days off work with still no installation(or compensaion for their installers incompetance) .

So yes you are right peoples expieriences do make their opinions.:(

I have a similar story about virginmedia, they mucked up 3 times (3 days of work) then when they did install all services went off within 2 hours needed another visit, then after my power levels were to high so I couldnt get anywhere near the speeds I should.

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35386106)

The thing to note though DEN, a lot of users in this section of the forum have had VM and left due to problems and had Sky fitted. So they have a valid opinion.

You have NEVER had Sky but constantly feel the need to give us all your opinions.

denphone 22-02-2012 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35386190)
I have a similar story about virginmedia, they mucked up 3 times (3 days of work) then when they did install all services went off within 2 hours needed another visit, then after my power levels were to high so I couldnt get anywhere near the speeds I should.

The thing to note though DEN, a lot of users in this section of the forum have had VM and left due to problems and had Sky fitted. So they have a valid opinion.

You have NEVER had Sky but constantly feel the need to give us all your opinions.

But l have often used their services down my parents place so l have got some experience of their services and remember its just one opinion and there are plenty of other differing views and opinions on here for you to listen too.:)

richard1960 22-02-2012 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35386190)

Your lucky 4 days off work and i never got jack .... installed, at least VM did manage an installation in your case if nothing else.

Skys excuses were as follows.

1) They turned up late so it was dark and could not install due to health and safety.

2)Despite being told it was a 2nd floor flat sky failed to turn up with the equipment needed.

3)Ruinning late so could not make the appointment.

4)Was not told it was special heights needed.

I just gave up after that.:(

LexDiamond 22-02-2012 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35386095)
Does this apply to the TV service as well if the broadband speed is insufficient to run sky anytime +

No, it does not apply to tv too. You have to check in advance if the speed Sky say the user will get will be sufficient for Anytime+.

Although that will be irrelevant now as tv users can use any BB soon to access the service if they feel Sky BB is insufficient.

richard1960 22-02-2012 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35386300)
No, it does not apply to tv too. You have to check in advance if the speed Sky say the user will get will be sufficient for Anytime+.

Although that will be irrelevant now as tv users can use any BB soon to access the service if they feel Sky BB is insufficient.

Thanks for the answer .:)

stereohaven 22-02-2012 15:03

Giving praise where praise is due, the VM install team were very good indeed, whereas the Sky contractor was average at best.

I have a feeling I read somewhere Sky have stopped (or are stopping) using contractors for installs full stop.

muppetman11 22-02-2012 15:22

Sky promises TV, online innovations for F1 coverage

Quote:

Sky Sports continues to reveal details of its 2012 venture into F1 broadcasting, with the announcement of Dolby digital sound following hot on the heels of other innovations on both its television and online coverage.

The inclusion of Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound will be available to viewers watching via the high-definition version of Sky Sports coverage when the dedicated F1 channel launches in March. The use of Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound - an audio feed using six different channels to provide a cinematic style experience - will represent the first time that live F1 broadcasts have been offered to viewers in the UK and Ireland in surround sound, and will cover all practice and qualifying sessions, as well as the 20 races.

"For the first time, viewers can hear the drama of F1 as well as see it," executive producer Martin Turner commented, "The stunning HD pictures will now be matched by stunning Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound audio that will help take our viewers trackside. This is another example of us giving F1 the Sky Sports treatment and I know those that hear the coverage will be amazed by it."

Sky will take a purpose-built mobile audio control room to the F1 television compound in order to receive the 5.1 audio produced by Formula One Management's host broadcast coverage. The commentary feed will then be added before the signal is beamed back to HD viewers in the UK and Ireland.

"F1 in Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound is seriously impressive, it's so much closer to the real experience from inside the cockpit or being at the side of the racetrack," driver-turned-commentator Martin Brundle noted, "It even picks up atmosphere from the crowd and I'm confident the viewer will notice a much greater intensity and spectacle."

In addition to the surround sound experience, Sky has recently announced a number of innovations it expects to set its television and online viewing experiences apart from its rivals.

Already christened 'Sky Race Control', interactive services on the broadcaster's F1 channel will feature as many as nine viewing options, with viewers given the opportunity to choose which camera they watch, while a similar facility is expected to be announced for Apple's iPad. Turner has already claimed that Sky Sports' coverage will 'reinvent interactive television'.

“The most powerful and interactive use of the 'Red Button' in the last few years has not been to show different angles and cameras, it's been to show you a different game," he pointed out, “What we are going to do is take F1 as a sport and offer different ways of seeing it, be it by on-board cameras or with the data tracker that tells you where the cars are.

“We will also be offering a live 'Pit Channel', [as] Sky will be covering the pits as its own channel to see what's going on there, because there's always something going on in the pits even without the cars being there.
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/176878/..._coverage.html

Hugh 22-02-2012 15:46

I have never understood why people feel the need to proselytise.

If you're happy with your services/prices, fine; if you're not, move on. My VM package gives me the services and speeds I want at a price I am willing to pay (and I check annually to make sure it still does). Others are very happy with the price/package/speeds they get from Sky.

This thread is useful when it points out the new services/channels on Sky, but why people on either side of the divide feel the need to score points defeats me.

muppetman11 22-02-2012 16:06

It has gone off track a little recently :D considering we're meant to be discussing Sky TV :) Point well made Hugh , and before any one says anything I'm including myself in taking it off topic from time to time. :argue:

New to cable 22-02-2012 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35386363)
I have never understood why people feel the need to proselytise.

If you're happy with your services/prices, fine; if you're not, move on. My VM package gives me the services and speeds I want at a price I am willing to pay (and I check annually to make sure it still does). Others are very happy with the price/package/speeds they get from Sky.

This thread is useful when it points out the new services/channels on Sky, but why people on either side of the divide feel the need to score points defeats me.

You're as guilty as anyone else on this site for pointing out the faults of Sky and the positives of VM, Quite often you will wade into a thread you've had no input into and try to point out where VM beat or match Sky.

I don't really want to call you a hypocrite, but you're a hypocrite.

SkyFTW 22-02-2012 16:54

Quote:

Ofcom

That's a interesting comment you're made there Hugh,:dozey:

Hugh 22-02-2012 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35386399)
That's a interesting comment you're made there Hugh,:dozey:

You appear to be confusing "providing balance" with being biased....;)

You, of course, missed off the post I was replying to....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35385648)

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35386397)
You're as guilty as anyone else on this site for pointing out the faults of Sky and the positives of VM, Quite often you will wade into a thread you've had no input into and try to point out where VM beat or match Sky.

I don't really want to call you a hypocrite, but you're a hypocrite.

Coming from someone who posts as if he is employed by the Sky Marketing team, that's quite amusing. :D

Please show me a post where I have attacked or vilified Sky in the way you two do to VM.....

stereohaven 22-02-2012 17:14

Where is a "handbags" smillie when you need one? :D

Hugh 22-02-2012 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35386408)
Where is a "handbags" smillie when you need one? :D

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/02/7.gif

stereohaven 22-02-2012 17:37

denphone 22-02-2012 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35386412)

Now who are those two throwing handbags at each other.:D

Doz007 22-02-2012 18:29

Are the available dates on anytime content accurate? I've got a few things that say they're only available until this Saturday. :(

muppetman11 22-02-2012 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35386438)
Are the available dates on anytime content accurate? I've got a few things that say they're only available until this Saturday. :(

It's because Anytime content is refreshed all the time , can you give some examples I'll check on mine. Little tip highlight the show you want in Anytime press R record button and it will be copied to your personal planner ;)

muppetman11 22-02-2012 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35386438)

Did you figure out what I meant Doz007 ?

Doz007 22-02-2012 21:21

Yeah, Luck was one of the shows available until Saturday. I did have it set to record tonight on Sky Atlantic but we've just finished watching it from Anytime instead. :)

If all the content runs out so quickly and gets removed from my box, what's the point of having 500gb available for anytime? Britains Bravest cops is only available until tomorrow for example..... I only got Sky installed Sunday!! Doesn't really give much time to watch things.

Now I've deleted tonights planned recording of Luck from my planner using the Yellow button. Has that deleted my series link or just that episode?

stereohaven 22-02-2012 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35386597)
If all the content runs out so quickly and gets removed from my box, what's the point of having 500gb available for anytime? Britains Bravest cops is only available until tomorrow for example..... I only got Sky installed Sunday!! Doesn't really give much time to watch things.

If you see something on Anytime that you like but don't have time to watch before it "expires", just press the record button when you have the programme selected and it will be moved to your normal recordings library and then it can be watched at your leisure the same as anything you recorded normally.

muppetman11 22-02-2012 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35386597)
Yeah, Luck was one of the shows available until Saturday. I did have it set to record tonight on Sky Atlantic but we've just finished watching it from Anytime instead. :)

Now I've deleted tonights planned recording of Luck from my planner using the Yellow button. Has that deleted my series link or just that episode?

The series link , just find next weeks and series link from there , go to Britains bravest cop on anytime make sure it's highlighted press the record button and hey presto the show is then on your personal planner and won't expire until you delete it. It seems Stereohaven has beat me to it :D

Doz007 22-02-2012 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35386604)
If you see something on Anytime that you like but don't have time to watch before it "expires", just press the record button when you have the programme selected and it will be moved to your normal recordings library and then it can be watched at your leisure the same as anything you recorded normally.

Cheers mate, I understand what you guys mean but my point is that I may as well have 1.25tb personal space if I'm not getting twice as much anytime content over the standard Sky+HD box....

What's the point in having 500gb there if all the shows get deleted after a couple of days?! I could understand them being deleted once that space has been filled in order to make room for new content but every few days is a bit poor and will never come close to fully utilising the full 500gb. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35386605)
The series link , just find next weeks and series link from there , go to Britains bravest cop on anytime make sure it's highlighted press the record button and hey presto the show is then on your personal planner and won't expire until you delete it. It seems Stereohaven has beat me to it :D

Thanks MM, how do you go about just cancelling a program then? Pressing the record button as prompted didn't remove it from my planner..:confused:

muppetman11 22-02-2012 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35386608)
Cheers mate, I understand what you guys mean but my point is that I may as well have 1.25tb personal space if I'm not getting twice as much anytime content over the standard Sky+HD box....

I believe once the content goes to last chance it stays there longer on the 1TB box. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...7&postcount=12
Is 240 hrs HD not enough for you it's twice the equivalent TIVO box :D

Quote:

What's the point in having 500gb there if all the shows get deleted after a couple of days?! I could understand them being deleted once that space has been filled in order to make room for new content but every few days is a bit poor and will never come close to fully utilising the full 500gb. :(

Because Anytime is a showcase of content which is refreshed daily.

Quote:

Thanks MM, how do you go about just cancelling a program then? Pressing the record button as prompted didn't remove it from my planner..:confused:

If you'd pressed record part way through it would have stopped the recording , but you would have still had the part it had recorded in the planner which yellow button would have got rid of. Sky works differently if you set a series link for say a show tonight at 11pm your planner will only list that show , once it starts recording the next episode should be listed for the following week. This may be handy but remember it was done when this EPG was first introduced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmTNF...e_gdata_player

Doz007 22-02-2012 22:35

So pressing record before the recording is due to start does cancel the recording but also causes the show to stay in the planner?

muppetman11 22-02-2012 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35386623)
So pressing record before the recording is due to start does cancel the recording but also causes the show to stay in the planner?

Sorry cross wires pressing record before its started should stop it completely , I thought you were meaning the show had started sorry I'm :dunce:

Doz007 22-02-2012 22:46

No worries. Thanks for your help MM, I think I've got it now.

Before a planned recording starts:

Record = cancel
Yellow = delete series link
Green = ???

But a cancelled recording still shows in the planner with a clock icon next to it.

Sounds about right; apart from the mystery green 'series link' option. I've already set them up as series links..... ?

muppetman11 22-02-2012 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35386627)
No worries. Thanks for your help MM, I think I've got it now.

Before a planned recording starts:

Record = cancel
Yellow = delete series link
Green = ???

But a cancelled recording still shows in the planner with a clock icon next to it.

Sounds about right; apart from the mystery green 'series link' option. I've already set them up as series links..... ?

If you have a clock it sounds like you've pressed select as that's the icon for a reminder. Give that video a watch in my link above. I'll investigate cancelling recordings tomorrow , especially series links and let you know fully. My multiroom box is being installed so I say hurry up shared planner.

muppetman11 23-02-2012 14:17

'Inbetweeners' Simon Bird, Joe Thomas comedy 'Chickens' to air on Sky1

Quote:

The new comedy written by and starring Simon Bird and Joe Thomas from The Inbetweeners has been ordered to series by Sky1.

Chickens, a sitcom about three men in a world full of women after they remain home during World War I, was originally piloted at Channel 4 but the broadcaster later chose not to commission a full run.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s121/...r-on-sky1.html

denphone 23-02-2012 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35386925)

Looks interesting MM and l will take a look at the first episode when it airs.

LexDiamond 23-02-2012 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35386629)
If you have a clock it sounds like you've pressed select as that's the icon for a reminder. Give that video a watch in my link above. I'll investigate cancelling recordings tomorrow , especially series links and let you know fully. My multiroom box is being installed so I say hurry up shared planner.

Did you get the 1tb Sky+HD?

muppetman11 23-02-2012 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35386969)

No mate another Sky+HD , it's amazing what deals retentions can give I've got a free box , 5.00 install free multiroom sub and free line rental all for 12 months meaning I'm actually paying less :)

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Animal Planet HD testing according to a poster on DS forum

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...&postcount=170

Alan Fry 23-02-2012 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35386925)

What were channel 4 thinking when they desided to NOT make it as a full series, the pilot was very funny?

jordyGFC 23-02-2012 17:07

when are they opening anytime plus up to all ISP's apart form sky? oh and when is bbc iplayer etc coming? cant wait for these.

muppetman11 23-02-2012 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordyGFC (Post 35387084)
when are they opening anytime plus up to all ISP's apart form sky? oh and when is bbc iplayer etc coming? cant wait for these.

I believe Sky have mentioned they would start opening up Anytime+ to non Sky BB subscribers from Easter but not sure how it will roll out , iplayer is later in the year.

Doz007 23-02-2012 20:05

I'm extremely impressed at how quickly the iPad app communicates with the box. I've just set Coppers to record from my iPad and it appeared in less than a second on my Sky+HD box!! :shocked:

muppetman11 23-02-2012 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35387178)
I'm extremely impressed at how quickly the iPad app communicates with the box. I've just set Coppers to record from my iPad and it appeared in less than a second on my Sky+HD box!! :shocked:

Yes it's usually only a matter of seconds , I'd just like them to sort the app with some sort of drop down box to allow you to choose which STB rather than have seperate accounts , only a minor gripe though.

Media Boy UK 23-02-2012 21:13

Sky EPG reshuffle date moved???

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...&postcount=186

Doz007 23-02-2012 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35387219)
Yes it's usually only a matter of seconds , I'd just like them to sort the app with some sort of drop down box to allow you to choose which STB rather than have seperate accounts , only a minor gripe though.

Yeah, seems like such an obvious omission. Have Sky scrapped the allow 30 minutes for remote recording requests to reach your box rule?

muppetman11 23-02-2012 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35387248)
Yeah, seems like such an obvious omission. Have Sky scrapped the allow 30 minutes for remote recording requests to reach your box rule?

It's still probably advisable to allow that timeframe however in most instances it arrives within seconds.

Sky+HD users with surround sound will be able to watch Sky Sports F1 HD in Dolby Digital 5.1

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...red-for-sound-

muppetman11 24-02-2012 16:49

BSkyB trebles investment in Sky Arts channel

Quote:

BSkyB is trebling its investment in culture channel Sky Arts in a bid to increase its profile among viewers.

Sky Arts 1 and 2 is set to roll out a new brand identity and will both move further up the electronic programming guide (EPG) in order for more people to discover the channel.

Sky Arts will also be available on the Sky Go smartphone and tablet catch-up service.

The broadcaster claims that more than 3 million viewers already watch the Sky Arts portfolio each month.

Sky Arts says it will invest more than £1m in several projects around the UK and Ireland to encourage more people to participate in the arts and increase awareness of the TV channel.

The re-design of the channel’s logo and idents, devised by Sky Creative, will also be supported by a raft of new programmes such as “Playhouse Presents…”, which will feature Sir Tom Jones in his first acting role, “Sky Arts Masterclass” hosted by Michael Parkinson and the return of the South Bank Show, presented by Melvyn Bragg.

Sky has previously committed to increase its annual investment in home-grown programming to £600m by 2014.

Jeremy Darroch, Sky chief executive, says: “Sky Arts is already a major success story, reaching around 3 million viewers every month. We believe Sky Arts has a bright future, and by increasing our investment on and off screen we can make it even bigger and better.”

The Sky Arts launched in 2007, formerly a single channel called Artsworld, owned by a private partnership.
http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/news/...000289.article

denphone 24-02-2012 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35387627)

Excellent news as l watch quite a few programmes on these channels

muppetman11 24-02-2012 18:46

David Tennant, Tom Jones, Emma Thompson for new Sky Arts shows

Quote:

David Tennant, Emma Thompson and Martin Shaw will star in a new collection of drama productions titled Playhouse Presents for the channel. Thompson will appear in a comedy drama about the 1982 event in which Michael Fagan broke into The Queen's bedchambers at Buckingham Palace.

Tennant will star as an artist called Will in The Minor Character from Will Self, while Martin Shaw appears in City Hall, which focuses on a woman who becomes a viral hit after standing up to rioters and later becomes the mayor of London.

Trevor Eve, Sheila Hancock and Gina McKee will also appear in episodes of Playhouse Presents.

Sir Tom Jones will make his acting debut in Jim Cartwright drama King of the Teds as Ron, who is made redundant from working at a bottle factory, with Alison Steadman and Brenda Blethyn also starring.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...rts-shows.html

Alan Fry 25-02-2012 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35387627)

Good to see the Return of The South Bank show!

denphone 25-02-2012 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35388131)
Good to see the Return of The South Bank show!

Yes its a excellent show.

Doz007 25-02-2012 18:33

The formatting at the end of the Showcase section of the Sky+ app is borked again. Does this happen every Saturday? :p:

muppetman11 25-02-2012 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35388213)
The formatting at the end of the Showcase section of the Sky+ app is borked again. Does this happen every Saturday? :p:

It must be , mines the same :D are you watching the second episode of Luck tonight :)

Doz007 25-02-2012 19:04

I'll be catching up on last nights Walking Dead tonight but Luck is all set to record at 9 to watch tomorrow. :)

Spoilt for choice when it comes to top notch TV shows at the minute. :D

colin25 25-02-2012 19:21

I've yet to have time to watch luck..and still to watch any of John Adams

But I like that I have choice and too much...far better than too few :D

muppetman11 25-02-2012 19:36

The first episode of Luck was ok , but HBO usually get better and better as the series progresses.

muppetman11 26-02-2012 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35386969)

Multiroom up and running now , had to ring Sky though as theyd not enabled Sky+ feature on my second box. I can confirm those wireless phone extenders work a treat , just sent a remote record and it arrived within seconds. All in all very happy looking forward to the shared planner now.

LexDiamond 26-02-2012 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35388475)
Multiroom up and running now , had to ring Sky though as theyd not enabled Sky+ feature on my second box. I can confirm those wireless phone extenders work a treat , just sent a remote record and it arrived within seconds. All in all very happy looking forward to the shared planner now.

I was going to post about the wireless extenders as I got my Sky BB up and running yesterday but put the modem upstairs so will need wireless extender for the STB downstairs.

Are you using the one from Sky shop for around £60?

muppetman11 26-02-2012 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35388484)
I was going to post about the wireless extenders as I got my Sky BB up and running yesterday but put the modem upstairs so will need wireless extender for the STB downstairs.

Are you using the one from Sky shop for around £60?

I think your meaning wifi in the sense of getting the Internet into that room , the wireless phone extender works like home plugs but rather than sending Internet around your house it sends your phonline cutting the need for phone wiring?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RTX-WIRELESS.../dp/B000NJQHL4

LexDiamond 26-02-2012 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35388502)
I think your meaning wifi in the sense of getting the Internet into that room , the wireless phone extender works like home plugs but rather than sending Internet around your house it sends your phonline cutting the need for phone wiring?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RTX-WIRELESS.../dp/B000NJQHL4

I had never heard of those so will have to some reading on those.

Edit: Just realised I was thinking of something completely different :o:

muppetman11 26-02-2012 19:56

Set the BBC news to record at 18.30 off my mobile on BBC One HD , the football overran and the news only started at 19.15 just checked and the box has readjusted and recorded it , pretty impressive feature the dynamic EPG , just wish it was implemented on all channels.

muppetman11 27-02-2012 14:44

Animal Planet HD added to EPG , channel number 525

colin25 27-02-2012 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35389304)
Animal Planet HD added to EPG , channel number 525

sky is goimg to the dogs, though it looks a beast of a channel :D

pk1 29-02-2012 11:09

New Sony movie channel to launch on Sky.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...ch-on-sky.html

denphone 29-02-2012 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by pk1 (Post 35390453)

Will it ever arrive on Virgin is now the answer we need to know.

pk1 29-02-2012 11:18

[QUOTE=denphone;35390456]Will it ever arrive on Virgin is now the answer we need to know.[/QUOTE

No doubt it will be coming soon or Virgin are in talks to carry this channel.

So don't expect any time soon lol

muppetman11 29-02-2012 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35390456)
Will it ever arrive on Virgin is now the answer we need to know.

Probably , wouldn't like to narrow the year down though :D

Hugh 29-02-2012 16:42

Miaow......;)

Doz007 29-02-2012 22:39

What screen do I need to be in to reorder series links and set recording priorities?

Alan Fry 01-03-2012 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by pk1 (Post 35390453)

Will it be a renamed Movies4Men?

muppetman11 01-03-2012 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35390809)
What screen do I need to be in to reorder series links and set recording priorities?

Whats the problem your having ?

muppetman11 01-03-2012 12:18

Sky Sports F1 HD added to Sky EPG channel no 408.

Doz007 01-03-2012 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35390947)
Whats the problem your having ?

No problem MM just can't seem to find a way to make 'recording C' a priority over 'recordings A & B' in the event of a clash. I assume I'm missing something obvious? :dunce:

denphone 01-03-2012 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35390517)
Probably , wouldn't like to narrow the year down though :D

Two thousand and something.:D

muppetman11 02-03-2012 12:24

Fogle brings weather series ‘Storm City’ to Sky Atlantic, Sky 3D

Quote:

Sky Atlantic and Sky 3D have commissioned a one of a kind four-part series, hosted by Ben Fogle, the captures the effects that the Earth’s natural forces can have on the human environment. In order to try and understand the natural disasters which can dominate our news, the*series will look at the science behind the destructive forces and hear witness accounts of what it feels like to be caught in the midst of nature’s fury.

Using advanced engineering technology and science, a team of experts set out to recreate the impact of natural forces to investigate what the effects are.

Filmed on a mix of real-world locations and sets in both Canada and the UK, the team simulate what happens during earthquakes, extreme winds, avalanches and floods. Cameras were fitted to a purpose built two-storey house as weather conditions are reconstructed and tests carried out to fully demonstrate the catastrophic damage that extreme natural forces can cause.

Using 3D cameras, every move is captured, blow-by-blow for Sky 3D and 2D for Sky Atlantic/HD. Viewers are able to visualise the impact on everything including people, buildings and the infrastructure of a city.

Ben Fogle said, “This is an extraordinary series to work on and it will look incredible too. I’ve been staggered by the scale and how much I’ve learned about the effects that nature can have on our environment. I hope people enjoy watching it as much as I’ve enjoyed making it.”

Filming for the series is currently taking place in Canada, and will reach screens in Summer of this year.
http://www.imediamonkey.com/fogle-br...lantic-sky-3d/

Doz007 04-03-2012 11:38

Have you got this weeks new movies available on Anytime Muppetman?

muppetman11 04-03-2012 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35392517)
Have you got this weeks new movies available on Anytime Muppetman?

I most certainly have in HD on both boxes. :)

Doz007 04-03-2012 13:24

The only movie I've got on Anytime is In Time from Sky Store HD. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm looking forward to Senna next week and I've seen a couple of adverts for Hanna which looks good. If I could get these to appear on Anytime along with the other premieres that would be great. :)

muppetman11 04-03-2012 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35392572)
The only movie I've got on Anytime is In Time from Sky Store HD. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm looking forward to Senna next week and I've seen a couple of adverts for Hanna which looks good. If I could get these to appear on Anytime along with the other premieres that would be great. :)

It seems strange you've not had them on any box :confused:

Try this on each box but only when you have nothing scheduled to record
http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky...anner-rebuild/
Follow the instructions for planner rebuild

Vicki 04-03-2012 14:12

@DOZ

Do you leave your boxes on over night? Or in standby ,it is possible to switch off a sky box by holding down the power button on the remote if you do this your anytime won't update over night. I also assume you are looking in showcase? As that's where the pre downloaded stuff goes??

muppetman11 04-03-2012 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicki (Post 35392607)
@DOZ

Do you leave your boxes on over night? Or in standby ,it is possible to switch off a sky box by holding down the power button on the remote if you do this your anytime won't update over night. I also assume you are looking in showcase? As that's where the pre downloaded stuff goes??

He only has Anytime as his BB is with VM so no showcase graphics or Anytime+. The procedure I've outlined in my previous post would be the same as what Sky would advise should he ring with this issue , however you make a valid point about unplugging the STB it's surprising how many do that unaware that Anytime is downloaded to the STB during the early hours.

Doz007 04-03-2012 15:35

Hi chaps,

Yeah the box is left on 24/7 and I'm still getting other things on Anytime on my 1TB box. I've just checked the standard Sky+HD box and all the Movies are present and correct!

See the pictures below taken about 10 minutes ago showing the differences in the Movies tab on Anytime.

1tb box:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...012/03/112.jpg

Sky+HD box:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...012/03/113.jpg