Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704203)

Mr Banana 28-01-2017 20:12

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882770)
Indeed it is but discoverys behavioyr could make things very difficult for malones companies in the future we all know what SKY are like and they will likely retaliate by making negotiations difficult for vm in 2019 and this could include fox, nat geo channels too.
Then say if Discovery pull the same crap to BT, BT could retaliate too when negotiations for BT sports come around.
End of the day it's going to get very messy and there will only be one loser and that is us the consumer.

Yes and now Malone owns Formula 1, who knows what bun fights there will be in the future with rights to show that?

denphone 28-01-2017 20:31

The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last... The great battle of our time.;)

alwaysabear 28-01-2017 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882792)
The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last... The great battle of our time.;)

The two main pieces are getting on a bit now Murdoch is 85 and Malone 75.

denphone 28-01-2017 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35882799)
The two main pieces are getting on a bit now Murdoch is 85 and Malone 75.

It was meant in jest AB but perhaps if you put two well known forum grandee's together :waving::waving: it could be handbags at ten paces.;):D

Aguero9320 28-01-2017 22:21

A potential tactic for Discovery to take is to close down Quest and allow DMAX to go FTA. Furthermore, I would keep Discovery, Discovery Science, Animal Planet, TLC, ID and Eurosport 1 & 2 HD behind a pay wall and allow the re-launched DMAX, Discovery History, Discovery Turbo, Discovery Shed, Home & Health and Eurosport 1 & 2 SD to become available to Freeview and Freesat as well.

Bananaman_007 28-01-2017 23:57

This has been brewing for a few years. Not sure if you all remember the failed launch of Quest on Freeview? Well i have it on good authority that it was Sky that was the reason behind this. Discovery planned to launch Quest with a range of programming that had only just aired or was about to air on the main Discovery channels. Sky got its legal team involved as they believed that Discovery were in breach of contract with regards to showing its content on other channels.

Discovery had to basically scrap 80% of its proposed line up and had to ready different content for Quest which is why it took a few months after the original date to come on air.

Sky have also reduced the amount it pays to some other content providers which is one of the reasons Home appeared on Freeview. Sky wanted to pay a certain amount for the UKTV channels which like we have seen with Discovery was lower then the current amount. The agreement was Home would not be included in the new deal therefore making it available for Freeview when previously it was part of a pay tv deal with Sky that prevented that.

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 35882815)
A potential tactic for Discovery to take is to close down Quest and allow DMAX to go FTA.

That may not be needed the Tru Tv slots on Freeview are up for sale and people on Digitalspy seem to think it was Discovery who were the highest bidders. My inital thought was that Eurosport or a version of would come to Freeview due to Discovery need to broadcast a percentage of its Olympics coverage on Freeview. However i am wondering in if in the mean time they may use this for DMax.

nodrogd 29-01-2017 00:04

Quote:

A potential tactic for Discovery to take is to close down Quest and allow DMAX to go FTA. Furthermore, I would keep Discovery, Discovery Science, Animal Planet, TLC, ID and Eurosport 1 & 2 HD behind a pay wall and allow the re-launched DMAX, Discovery History, Discovery Turbo, Discovery Shed, Home & Health and Eurosport 1 & 2 SD to become available to Freeview and Freesat as well.

You won't be finding Eurosport moving from encrypted form on satellite. The UK services are on Astra 2F which has a Pan-European beam & would effectively allow free access to the channels from all over Europe.

SonicMaster 29-01-2017 11:43

Quote:

Not going to happen.

Discovery's main channels are Pay TV, having the relevant programme rights, and they are locked into long term carriage agreements with Virgin Media and BT.

Why on earth would they want to close down the hugely successful and established Quest and replace it with the dire DMAX.

RichardCoulter 29-01-2017 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 (Post 35882827)
This has been brewing for a few years. Not sure if you all remember the failed launch of Quest on Freeview? Well i have it on good authority that it was Sky that was the reason behind this. Discovery planned to launch Quest with a range of programming that had only just aired or was about to air on the main Discovery channels. Sky got its legal team involved as they believed that Discovery were in breach of contract with regards to showing its content on other channels.

Discovery had to basically scrap 80% of its proposed line up and had to ready different content for Quest which is why it took a few months after the original date to come on air.

Sky have also reduced the amount it pays to some other content providers which is one of the reasons Home appeared on Freeview. Sky wanted to pay a certain amount for the UKTV channels which like we have seen with Discovery was lower then the current amount. The agreement was Home would not be included in the new deal therefore making it available for Freeview when previously it was part of a pay tv deal with Sky that prevented that.

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:52 ----------

That may not be needed the Tru Tv slots on Freeview are up for sale and people on Digitalspy seem to think it was Discovery who were the highest bidders. My inital thought was that Eurosport or a version of would come to Freeview due to Discovery need to broadcast a percentage of its Olympics coverage on Freeview. However i am wondering in if in the mean time they may use this for DMax.

Discovery have been testing two new frequencies off the Sky EPG.

First they were showing foreign feeds from their international channels, now they are showing Discovery Shed +1 and Home & Health +2.

Not sure if these are connected to the dispute or not.

SonicMaster 30-01-2017 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35882929)
Discovery have been testing two new frequencies off the Sky EPG.

First they were showing foreign feeds from their international channels, now they are showing Discovery Shed +1 and Home & Health +2.

Not sure if these are connected to the dispute or not.

Not at all related.

Discovery Shed and Home & Health recently moved from the old Lifestyle section to the Entertainment section on the EPG, they will lose their two previous slots unless they put something on them.

Media Boy UK 30-01-2017 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgem22 (Post 35882447)
Does anyone know when the current deal is up please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35882449)
I believe its in 2019.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882454)
Quite awhile left on it i think 2019 MB would know more.

We do not see any real paperwork on deals with broadcasters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35882455)
Viceland has popped up on TV Anywhere (channel 215) with a Coming Soon listing so the launch must be imminent.

Thanks for info that the Channel number we was working on for Viceland when it launches.

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35883082)
Not at all related.

Discovery Shed and Home & Health recently moved from the old Lifestyle section to the Entertainment section on the EPG, they will lose their two previous slots unless they put something on them.

They only moved in Scotland, Wales and England on Sky.

They are still on their old channel numbers in N. Ireland via Sky.

Some Irish channels are using their EPG Channels in N. Ireland.

RichardCoulter 30-01-2017 16:55

Viceland has appeared on TV Anywhere (channel 215) with a Coming Soon listing so the launch must be imminent.

It looks like Sky are going to lose the Discovery channels.

The following preparations have been made:

4461 11.836 H 27.5 5/6 DVB-S OPSK now showing a caption saying "Unfortunately Sky is not able to bring you this channel as the broadcaster has withdrawn it from the Sky platform".

The EPG info says "Programme is no longer available".

I've been reassured that VM will not be affected. I was led to believe that their SD Discovery channels were taken from the satellite used to broadcast the Discovery suite of channels on Sky, but they are now delivered via fibre in the same way as the HD variants.

Media Boy UK 30-01-2017 18:12

Base on info we have WORLDBOX International Packs prices news:

-FRENCH BOUQUET - £6.99 p/month
BFM TV
Euro Channel

-POLISH IMPREZA - £8.00 p/month
No channels on this pack as far as we know...

-RUSSIAN PREMIYERA - £10.00 p/month
CTC

-SPANISH VIVA -£5.99 p/month
Canal 24 Horas (Spain).
VIVA

-PORTUGUESE COLETA -£6.99 p/month
-Coleta
-Sic International

We just got this information from our sources (Channel names not confirm).

Due to not having TiVo can anyone confirm?

SonicMaster 30-01-2017 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35883098)
Viceland has appeared on TV Anywhere (channel 215) with a Coming Soon listing so the launch must be imminent.

Yes that's what I posted on here 4 days ago...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...5#post35882455

...any particular reason why you have copied and pasted my exact words?

RichardCoulter 30-01-2017 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35883118)
Yes that's what I posted on here 4 days ago...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...5#post35882455

...any particular reason why you have copied and pasted my exact words?

In this thread we share information received for the benefit of others.

It is not some sort of competition and it does sometimes occur where information is duplicated.

SonicMaster 30-01-2017 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35883116)

BFM TV
Euro Channel

CTC

Canal 24 Horas (Spain).
VIVA

-Coleta
-Sic International

I've just checked, the correct details are:

France 2
France 3
France 5
Cartoon TV (Coming Soon)

BFM TV and Eurochannel are free

iTVN
iTVN Extra
TVN 24

Planeta HD
Moolt
Bestseller

CTC is free

-SPANISH VIVA - £5.99 p/month
Antena 3
Atreseries (aka A3Series)
MIS
TVE

Canal 24 Horas and VIVA are free

-PORTUGUESE COLETA - £6.99 p/month
Benfica TV
TVI International
TVI Ficcao
Crinca TV

Sic International is free

-EUROPEAN

TGCOM24, 1 +1 and TVRI are free

-ARABIC

Nessma is free

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35883120)
In this thread we share information received for the benefit of others.

It is not some sort of competition and it does sometimes occur where information is duplicated.

I don't see the point of "sharing" information which has already been posted by someone else only a few days ago by copying and pasting it. That's deliberately duplicating information for no reason, and is of no benefit to anyone on here.

jj20x 30-01-2017 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35883116)

BFM TV
Euro Channel

CTC

Canal 24 Horas (Spain).
VIVA

-Coleta
-Sic International

I was looking at those over the weekend and found it a little strange that the separate Spanish / Portuguese pay apps have been dropped and the foreign pay tv channels had been lumped in with the free ones in the main Worldbox app. Possibly a little confusing to anyone not noticing the BUY logo on the pay tv channels and thinking that these are just extra free channels.

The price points are possibly a little high. I would have thought that anyone desperate to receive these channels would have been using "unofficial" streaming services for quite some time. It could be difficult to persuade such people to pay for this service, rather than use the "unofficial" streams offering the same channels plus many more but for zero cost. In short, the packages seem to be lightweight and overpriced.

Russian channel CTC is written in the Cyrillic alphabet, so STS in the Roman / Latin alphabet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS_(TV_channel)

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35883122)
-ARABIC

Nessma is free

Still no "Hafla" for the Arabic bouquet...

RichardCoulter 31-01-2017 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35883122)
I've just checked, the correct details are:

France 2
France 3
France 5
Cartoon TV (Coming Soon)

BFM TV and Eurochannel are free

iTVN
iTVN Extra
TVN 24

Planeta HD
Moolt
Bestseller

CTC is free

-SPANISH VIVA - £5.99 p/month
Antena 3
Atreseries (aka A3Series)
MIS
TVE

Canal 24 Horas and VIVA are free

-PORTUGUESE COLETA - £6.99 p/month
Benfica TV
TVI International
TVI Ficcao
Crinca TV

Sic International is free

-EUROPEAN

TGCOM24, 1 +1 and TVRI are free

-ARABIC

Nessma is free

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

I don't see the point of "sharing" information which has already been posted by someone else only a few days ago by copying and pasting it. That's deliberately duplicating information for no reason, and is of no benefit to anyone on here.

Sometimes information gets duplicated on here. No copy/pasting from you was involved; the information came from another forum member.

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35883210)
I was looking at those over the weekend and found it a little strange that the separate Spanish / Portuguese pay apps have been dropped and the foreign pay tv channels had been lumped in with the free ones in the main Worldbox app. Possibly a little confusing to anyone not noticing the BUY logo on the pay tv channels and thinking that these are just extra free channels.

The price points are possibly a little high. I would have thought that anyone desperate to receive these channels would have been using "unofficial" streaming services for quite some time. It could be difficult to persuade such people to pay for this service, rather than use the "unofficial" streams offering the same channels plus many more but for zero cost. In short, the packages seem to be lightweight and overpriced.

Russian channel CTC is written in the Cyrillic alphabet, so STS in the Roman / Latin alphabet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS_(TV_channel)

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

Still no "Hafla" for the Arabic bouquet...

Odd isn't it :confused:

Aguero9320 31-01-2017 22:27

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/01/d...e-reached.html

BREAKING NEWS:

Discovery and Sky settle ongoing dispute just four-and-a-half-hours before the channels were scheduled to disappear from Sky's EPG.

Mad Max 31-01-2017 23:03

What's with all the above crap about French, Russian, Polish TV etc etc, does anyone really give two monkeys!

Chad 31-01-2017 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 35883401)
http://www.a516digital.com/2017/01/d...e-reached.html

BREAKING NEWS:

Discovery and Sky settle ongoing dispute just four-and-a-half-hours before the channels were scheduled to disappear from Sky's EPG.

The dispute is not over yet.

SKY UK CEO Stephen van Rooyen:

"The deal has been concluded on the right terms after Discovery accpeted the proposal we gave them over a week ago."

Discovery have responded:

"The deal we reached with SKY is meaningfully better than our former agreement and their proposal. Furthermore, our new arrangement enables us to control our destiny in more ways, with even more opportunities to invest and launch channels and consumer services. Stay tuned in the coming weeks."

Read into that what you will. Got the feeling Discovery are planning their own streaming service. One thing for sure SKY where more than prepared to let the Disovery Network channels go. SKY also confirmed earlier today a deal with PBS America to offer “the best of PBS’ factual programming.” SKY also confirmed they are to add more than 1,000 hours of on-demand programming from nonfiction channels including History and National Geographic.

I'm happy with the outcome. Discovery Network channels continue plus even more factual on demand content than ever before.

RichardCoulter 01-02-2017 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35883413)

"The deal has been concluded on the right terms after Discovery accpeted the proposal we gave them over a week ago."

"The deal we reached with SKY is meaningfully better than our former agreement and their proposal. Furthermore, our new arrangement enables us to control our destiny in more ways, with even more opportunities to invest and launch channels and consumer services. Stay tuned in the coming weeks."

Read into that what you will. Got the feeling Discovery are planning their own streaming service. One thing for sure SKY where more than prepared to let the Disovery Network channels go. SKY also confirmed earlier today a deal with PBS America to offer “the best of PBS’ factual programming.” SKY also confirmed they are to add more than 1,000 hours of on-demand programming from nonfiction channels including History and National Geographic.

I'm happy with the outcome. Discovery Network channels continue plus even more factual on demand content than ever before.

The deal settled upon appears to involve Sky paying the lower carriage costs that they wanted, but with some other tweaks eg Sky taking back the TLC slot and putting Pick on there and more freedom for Discovery to run their business as they see fit.

Apparently, Pick is moving to 125, Challenge to 152 and TLC to 145.

Both parties are claiming victory, so I suspect, to reflect the fact that Discovery are being paid less than what they wanted, Sky have agreed to allow Discovery to have the increased control and flexibility that has been mentioned.

I suspect that this involves allowing them to make some of their channels FTA and have a suspicion that this is how UKTV managed to get Really, Drama and Yesterday onto Freesat and Home onto Freeview.

As part of their contingency plans, Sky threw some money at PBS America to make some documentary programmes, which Sky, Freesat and Virgin Media customers will all be able to enjoy :D

spiderplant 01-02-2017 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35883405)
What's with all the above crap about French, Russian, Polish TV etc etc, does anyone really give two monkeys!

Here's a clue
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18234930

denphone 01-02-2017 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35883443)

If we looked a bit more into our history we have been having a foreign influx of people into this country for hundreds of years and more so its nothing new in some aspects so l can certainly see why TV providers have these foreign language channels on their platforms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._Great_Britain

Mr K 01-02-2017 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35883449)
If we looked a bit more into our history we have been having a foreign influx of people into this country for hundreds of years and more so its nothing new in some aspects so l can certainly see why TV providers have these foreign language channels on their platforms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._Great_Britain

Beleive its called globalisation Den. Brits are the first to complain if they go to Spain and there are no English tv channels, although why they want to spend holiday time watching Eastenders I don't know :rolleyes:

Media Boy UK 01-02-2017 13:21

Radio Times: Sky Cinema to launch Sky Cinema Valentine on Monday.

Radio Times has confirmed that Sky Cinema Drama and Romance will become know as Sky Cinema Valentine from Monday till February 19th.

You watch Sky Cinema Valentine on:

-Sky Cinema Valentine on Virgin UK Channel 440.
-Sky Cinema Valentine HD on Virgin UK Channel 410.
-Sky Cinema Valentine on Virgin Ireland Channel 308.
-Sky Cinema Valentine HD on Virgin Ireland Channel 338.

jj20x 01-02-2017 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35883405)

It's the "Coming Soon" thread, not everything that eventually arrives will be of interest to everyone.

jj20x 02-02-2017 17:56

Ofcom has revoked the licences of channels operated by ARY Networks Limited (in liquidation).

ARY Networks operated channels 818 and 819 on Virgin Media. Both are now showing as "Channel No Longer Available" on the EPG.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse...iquidation.pdf

RichardCoulter 02-02-2017 18:38

Is UKTV Play on VM?

I thought that we now had it, but am unable to find it.

denphone 02-02-2017 19:07

Yes its there Richard.

SonicMaster 02-02-2017 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35883683)
Is UKTV Play on VM?

I thought that we now had it, but am unable to find it.

Yes, but it's been broken for over 5 months, since the last TiVo software update in August last year. Press red on any UKTV channel to try to access it, but most commonly you'll get an error like 'Channel Not Available' or it will load under a semi transparent screen.

Inactive Digital 02-02-2017 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35883698)
Yes, but it's been broken for over 5 months, since the last TiVo software update in August last year. Press red on any UKTV channel to try to access it, but most commonly you'll get an error like 'Channel Not Available' or it will load under a semi transparent screen.

I seem to recall that pressing red for a second time (once it had finished not loading properly) seemed to do the job. I don't have TV now, so memory is a bit flaky!

Horizon 04-02-2017 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35883413)

Just in case it were not known here, National Geographic is in effect the factual arm of Fox.

Murdoch bought a controlling interest in nat geo a few years ago.

And for those that remember the early days of Sky, Murdoch always put restrictive measures in place to prevent competition if they did not allow themselves to be controlled, or part owned by Sky.

So, if we're assuming that Sky is the "baddie" here, I'd imagine there has been long standing restrictive covenants placed on Discovery so that they don't get too competitive to Sky. Although, how Discovery could ever be viewed as a serious broadcaster these days with the rubbish they now show, is beyond me.

Chad 05-02-2017 22:58

"Vodafone has put its plans to join Britain’s crowded pay-TV market on pause indefinitely as it battles tough trading on home turf and strives to build its share of the broadband market."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...odafone-sales/

Stephen 05-02-2017 23:08

I find that article a little odd. Considering things I've heard.

theone2k10 06-02-2017 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35884165)
"Vodafone has put its plans to join Britain’s crowded pay-TV market on pause indefinitely as it battles tough trading on home turf and strives to build its share of the broadband market."

Strange if they have put it on pause as they've been trialing it to some customers and increased the trialist base last week.

OLD BOY 06-02-2017 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35884171)
Strange if they have put it on pause as they've been trialing it to some customers and increased the trialist base last week.

I agree, theone, and a big reason why they are not getting more broadband customers is that their rivals offer telly - but they don't!

denphone 06-02-2017 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35884165)

l cannot say l am surprised by that.

Stephen 06-02-2017 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35884192)
I agree, theone, and a big reason why they are not getting more broadband customers is that their rivals offer telly - but they don't!

The broadband customer base is growing steadily. Mostly due to the no line rental on fibre.

I am surprised by the TV though they have spent a lot of money on it over the last few years and have tried to make a decent products

1andrew1 06-02-2017 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35884199)
The broadband customer base is growing steadily. Mostly due to the no line rental on fibre.

I am surprised by the TV though they have spent a lot of money on it over the last few years and have tried to make a decent products

Vodafone's offering in Ireland looks relatively threadbare against VM and Sky so I can understand if they decided not to enter the market. EE's TV offering in the UK had just 98,000 customers when BT bought the company so perhaps Vodafone felt like O2 and Three felt it was not worthwhile.
If Vodafone does want to enter the UK pay-TV market then perhaps it could acquire TalkTalk. It could operate TalkTalk the same way that BT does with Plusnet but use its infrastructure to launch a TV service.
Vodafone might want to pounce sooner than later as TalkTalk's founder and 30% shareholder Sir Charles Dunstone is now starting to pull the strings and Dido Harding is leaving with a nine-month pay-off.

Stephen 06-02-2017 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884210)
Vodafone's offering in Ireland looks relatively threadbare against VM and Sky so I can understand if they decided not to enter the market. EE's TV offering in the UK had just 98,000 customers when BT bought the company so perhaps Vodafone felt like O2 and Three felt it was not worthwhile.
If Vodafone does want to enter the UK pay-TV market then perhaps it could acquire TalkTalk. It could operate TalkTalk the same way that BT does with Plusnet but use its infrastructure to launch a TV service.
Vodafone might want to pounce sooner than later as TalkTalk's founder and 30% shareholder Sir Charles Dunstone is now starting to pull the strings and Dido Harding is leaving with a nine-month pay-off.

it wouldn't have been like the Ireland service nor was it competing with Sky and VM it would have been a rival to BT and Talk Talk and those who want more than just freeview.

theone2k10 06-02-2017 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35884192)

I do see the tv with BT as a bonus to my broadband ok i'm paying £10 extra a month but it's there if my other means goes pear shaped.
Also suprisingly SSE are rumoured to be trialing tv some point this year.

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884210)

From what little info i had, vodafone uk tv was going to be based on nowtv with a few additions aka nat geo, h2, tcm.
The details were always quite sketchy though.

Media Boy UK 06-02-2017 16:51

Comedy Central is being shown until 10pm tonight on Virgin UK Channel 100 with an other lineup.

Stephen 06-02-2017 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35884251)
I do see the tv with BT as a bonus to my broadband ok i'm paying £10 extra a month but it's there if my other means goes pear shaped.
Also suprisingly SSE are rumoured to be trialing tv some point this year.

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

From what little info i had, vodafone uk tv was going to be based on nowtv with a few additions aka nat geo, h2, tcm.
The details were always quite sketchy though.

They spent a lot of money on it over the last couple of years. Seems a strange choice when it would have only been near launch.

theone2k10 06-02-2017 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35884317)

They spent a lot of money on it over the last couple of years. Seems a strange choice when it would have only been near launch.

It is indeed strange, i'm going to do some digging around on this see if those in the know know anything about what's happening with vodafone tv.

Horizon 07-02-2017 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35884317)

Well, we won't know until Vodafone say something, but two thoughts here.

With Sky's announcement that they're launching their full tv service over broadband, I wonder if this has altered Vodafone's plans.

If it has, I wonder if Vodafone might then get into bed with Malone despite their reservations about how he runs his business' off debt and his extreme tax "planning" measures.

muppetman11 07-02-2017 16:05

I agree with 1andrew1 on this Talk Talk would be the perfect acquisition in this country , it would massively increse Vodafone's broadband userbase over night and give it a bigger pool with which to push a TV service and up sell other products.

SonicMaster 07-02-2017 18:22

Anything interesting on the horizon for Virgin TV this year...?

I hope that Amazon Video will finally appear on 205, justifying Virgin's claim of bringing together all the TV you love in one place.

Viceland looks to be launching on 215 very soon.

Is there more that we know about or is rumoured?

Maybe a few other missing HD channels like History HD, C+I HD, E! HD, Nick Jr HD, Boomerang HD, Disney Channel HD, Disney Junior HD and Disney XD HD?

An end to ITV Encore's exclusivity on Sky or AMC's exclusivity on BT? Not that there is much of value on either channel, in my opinion.

OLD BOY 07-02-2017 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35884472)
Anything interesting on the horizon for Virgin TV this year...?

I hope that Amazon Video will finally appear on 205, justifying Virgin's claim of bringing together all the TV you love in one place.

Viceland looks to be launching on 215 very soon.

Is there more that we know about or is rumoured?

Maybe a few other missing HD channels like History HD, C+I HD, E! HD, Nick Jr HD, Boomerang HD, Disney Channel HD, Disney Junior HD and Disney XD HD?

An end to ITV Encore's exclusivity on Sky or AMC's exclusivity on BT? Not that there is much of value on either channel, in my opinion.

Well, those are the questions of the day, SonicMaster, to which there are absolutely no answers at this time!

SonicMaster 09-02-2017 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35884477)
Well, those are the questions of the day, SonicMaster, to which there are absolutely no answers at this time!

The continuing absence of History HD, C+I HD and E! HD is particularly strange as all of them are available on BT in addition to Sky. History HD and C+I HD are even available in Virgin Media in Ireland, but not here!

1andrew1 09-02-2017 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35884867)
The continuing absence of History HD, C+I HD and E! HD is particularly strange as all of them are available on BT in addition to Sky. History HD and C+I HD are even available in Virgin Media in Ireland, but not here!

Good observation.

Horizon 09-02-2017 18:57

... Murdoch owns them, obviously VM don't want to pay the price.

Chad 09-02-2017 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35884875)

What's interesting is H2 is available in HD on Virgin Media but not SKY

theone2k10 09-02-2017 19:44

VM are knocking some decent offers out it seems or they are desperate for custom.
Had a phonecall of them today inviting me to return to vm and get a v6 box on full house tv pack, 200mb vivid broadband and weekend calls for £30p/m plus £14.99 activation.
Not a bad offer tbf but i declined as i' still in contract with BT and wouldn't tust VM as far as i could throw them.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35884881)
What's interesting is H2 is available in HD on Virgin Media but not SKY

H2HD is also on BT too so that puts to bed the vm cults shouting "murdoch won't et us have them."
Also i think my youview box glitched today or bt are getting sky channels very soon as 301 sky1 showed up on my EPG then vanished again.

SonicMaster 09-02-2017 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35884875)

Not sure that makes much sense, Virgin Media pay for History HD and C+I HD in Ireland, so why not in the UK...

Also as Chad says, they do pay for H2.

E! HD is nothing to do with Murdoch...

denphone 09-02-2017 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35884883)
VM are knocking some decent offers out it seems or they are desperate for custom.
Had a phonecall of them today inviting me to return to vm and get a v6 box on full house tv pack, 200mb vivid broadband and weekend calls for £30p/m plus £14.99 activation.
Not a bad offer tbf but i declined as i' still in contract with BT and wouldn't tust VM as far as i could throw them.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

H2HD is also on BT too so that puts to bed the vm cults shouting "murdoch won't et us have them."
Also i think my youview box glitched today or bt are getting sky channels very soon as 301 sky1 showed up on my EPG then vanished again.

My my you do seem to have a ongoing grudge against Virgin it seems.:shocked:

Mad Max 09-02-2017 20:06

Quote:

Not a bad offer tbf but i declined as i' still in contract with BT and wouldn't tust VM as far as i could throw them
That's a great offer, but it just shows you that ppl like myself are being ripped off, as we are paying over £100 for the very same or similar package, and looks like we are subsidising new customers!

theone2k10 09-02-2017 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35884889)
My my you do seem to have a ongoing grudge against Virgin it seems.:shocked:

After the way they treated me bud they could be the only broadband provider in the world i still wouldn't touch them, don't get me wrong the vm guys/women that post on here are a great bunch and it's a pity all vm staff aren't like them.

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35884897)
That's a great offer, but it just shows you that ppl like myself are being ripped off, as we are paying over £100 for the very same or similar package, and looks like we are subsidising new customers!

i agree it's same with BT had the price rise email today i phoned to negotiate they offered me 50p off to start with i kindly said no i'll go to talktalk for £27pm 38mbs.
BT suddenly found a offer on my account tv,btsport,upto 80mb infinty2 for £36.99pm 24 month contract ut these companies have price rises every 12 months or so so in a year i can re-negotiate.

Media Boy UK 10-02-2017 08:51

Sky Cinema Hits will be rebrand as Sky Cinema Pixar.

From February 11th til February 19th.

OLD BOY 10-02-2017 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35884897)

Special offers for new customers is nothing new, MM. If Sky do these deals and Virgin don't, then Sky will get the bulk of the new customers. We need Virgin to have lots of subscribers because this increases their ability to invest more in the service and provide increased content.

braysoj1 10-02-2017 19:21

spike channel is now on tv anytime

theone2k10 11-02-2017 11:38

Viacom to rebrand SPIKE in 2018 to Paramount Network credit to Epsom on dspy for info.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...73&postcount=1

Edit scrap that it's USA only.

nodrogd 11-02-2017 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35884886)
Not sure that makes much sense, Virgin Media pay for History HD and C+I HD in Ireland, so why not in the UK...

Also as Chad says, they do pay for H2.

E! HD is nothing to do with Murdoch...

The agreement in Ireland is the existing one with UPC (before the rebrand as Virgin Media Ireland) which is still run as a seperate company. We will have to see what happens when the agreement comes up for renewal.

OLD BOY 11-02-2017 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35885223)
The agreement in Ireland is the existing one with UPC (before the rebrand as Virgin Media Ireland) which is still run as a seperate company. We will have to see what happens when the agreement comes up for renewal.

Yes, Virgin seem to have an aversion to updating contracts part way through.

SonicMaster 11-02-2017 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35885241)
Yes, Virgin seem to have an aversion to updating contracts part way through.

It's just weird. Why on earth didn't they secure History HD and C+I HD when they signed up H2 HD!

theone2k10 11-02-2017 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35885242)
It's just weird. Why on earth didn't they secure History HD and C+I HD when they signed up H2 HD!

This is VM what did you expect?

denphone 11-02-2017 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35885243)
This is VM what did you expect?

Only what l expect from you.....;)

1andrew1 11-02-2017 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35885242)

I agree it's very strange but there must be a good reason for it.

theone2k10 11-02-2017 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35885247)
Only what l expect from you.....;)

I don't have a tv company though :p:
I reckon you're a secret VM CEO ;)

denphone 11-02-2017 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35885260)
I don't have a tv company though :p:
I reckon you're a secret VM CEO ;)

No the only job l would be fit for with them is the tea boy methinks.:)

Media Boy UK 13-02-2017 18:51

Irish Independent: Virgin Media backs new €3m TV3 drama as broadcaster develops indigenous programme output.

TV3 has secured funding from the Virgin Media group for a new €3m drama, as the broadcaster further develops its indigenous programme output.

TV3 also houses Virgin Media Solutions for the UK and Ireland, which is working on new 'addressable advertising' for the Virgin TV platform.

This will allow it to tailor ads to individuals.

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...dia-backs.html

Colors HD to launch tomorrow on Sky but Colors reveal that they are also in talks with other service providers.

"Colors UK has been an unprecedented audience entertainer which has provided diverse options for the South Asian audience for over seven years. We are committed towards showcasing top-notch content on our channels and are glad to join hands with Sky to bring HD quality content to viewers in the region, thereby making Colors UK HD the preferred entertainment destination for the audience. We are also in talks with other service providers and distributors in Europe to launch our HD service.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/tele...-14-feb-170213

theone2k10 13-02-2017 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35885569)
Irish Independent: Virgin Media backs new €3m TV3 drama as broadcaster develops indigenous programme output.

TV3 has secured funding from the Virgin Media group for a new €3m drama, as the broadcaster further develops its indigenous programme output.

TV3 also houses Virgin Media Solutions for the UK and Ireland, which is working on new 'addressable advertising' for the Virgin TV platform.

Colors HD to launch tomorrow on Sky but Colors reveal that they are also in talks with other service providers.

"Colors UK has been an unprecedented audience entertainer which has provided diverse options for the South Asian audience for over seven years. We are committed towards showcasing top-notch content on our channels and are glad to join hands with Sky to bring HD quality content to viewers in the region, thereby making Colors UK HD the preferred entertainment destination for the audience. We are also in talks with other service providers and distributors in Europe to launch our HD service.

So vm customers can now expect a £3pm price rise then? :p:

RichardCoulter 13-02-2017 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35885569)

I'm surprised at this as Colors stated that the HD variant had been created by "holding hands with Sky", so I had assumed that it would be another HD channel that would be a Sky exclusive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35885587)

I also wonder if the personalised ads will start with an apology for lying and messing long term customers about for three months and only doing the right thing after they received a solicitors letter?

From proactively wanting to help VM due to my opinion of Sky, I now view them as simply another service provider who will have to prove to me that they are worthy of each and every contract as they come up for renewal.

All this palava over a one off £10 overcharge will cost them dearly.

theone2k10 13-02-2017 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35885608)
I'm surprised at this as Colors stated that the HD variant had been created by "holding hands with Sky", so I had assumed that it would be another HD channel that would be a Sky exclusive.

I also wonder if the personalised ads will start with an apology for lying and messing long term customers about for three months and only doing the right thing after they received a solicitors letter?

From proactively wanting to help VM due to my opinion of Sky, I now view them as simply another service provider who will have to prove to me that they are worthy of each and every contract as they come up for renewal.

All this palava over a one off £10 overcharge will cost them dearly.

Mine is £340 apparantly despite me having letters saying i owe nothing but hey according to vm i'm a liar even a court ruled in my favour yet vm still persist.

denphone 14-02-2017 05:15

Quote:

You are very quick on the gun yet again Sir.:sniper:

OLD BOY 14-02-2017 10:55

Quote:

Possibly. But whether we will also get Colours HD is another question! ��

Ultimate.Conj 14-02-2017 11:41

That channel doesn't sound like my cup of tea lol

theone2k10 14-02-2017 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35885653)
Possibly. But whether we will also get Colours HD is another question! ��

Is VM even in colour they seem to be so far behind everyone else :p:

denphone 14-02-2017 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj (Post 35885655)

No surprise there then.;)

RichardCoulter 14-02-2017 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj (Post 35885655)

Me neither, but it does say something about the level of immigration in the UK if such a channel can not only survive, but go HD when a lot of other channels are still in SD.

---------- Post added at 21:49 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Euronews is to be renamed. Following a $30 million investment by NBC it will become known as Euronews NBC.

RichardCoulter 15-02-2017 10:03

As per Spot, the London-based morning show Squawk Box has been interrupted by fire warnings which could clearly be heard over speakers - the show was being hosted by Steve Sedgewick who first carried on the discussion with his guests, and the backroom staff who could be seen behind him seemed completely unmoved, then the show went to a planned break and has not come back. They are now running continuous on screen graphics with music, presumably automated.

Singapore now taken over.

Something similar happened on the Lorraine show not too long ago, let's hope that it's a false alarm and nothing too serious.

figgyburn 15-02-2017 11:11

Can someone tell me why we do not have CNN news in HD.Is there a big difference in price that virgin have to pay between SD and HD feeds.Does anybody have any idea what virgin pay for the SD feed and what the HD price would be.The CNN SD picture quality is garbage.

OLD BOY 15-02-2017 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by figgyburn (Post 35885904)
Can someone tell me why we do not have CNN news in HD.Is there a big difference in price that virgin have to pay between SD and HD feeds.Does anybody have any idea what virgin pay for the SD feed and what the HD price would be.The CNN SD picture quality is garbage.

I don't know the answer to that, but I really do think, as larger TVs become mainstream, VM should be ensuring that all channels are shown in HD as contracts come up for renewal. Those channels available only in SD are generally those showing repeats of repeats of repeats and perhaps it will soon be time to abandon them if they don't step up.

1andrew1 15-02-2017 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by figgyburn (Post 35885904)

There is no rate card price, it would all be down to what VM negotiates with the company and if any competitors have paid more for exclusitivity.

nodrogd 15-02-2017 13:32

CNN HD is FTA on the Sky platform, but no sign of them joining Freesat, which would be a big coup for them considering the lack of HD available (it can be tuned manually in STB mode). I would not think the deal is exclusive to Sky if the service is FTA.

RichardCoulter 15-02-2017 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35885907)
I don't know the answer to that, but I really do think, as larger TVs become mainstream, VM should be ensuring that all channels are shown in HD as contracts come up for renewal. Those channels available only in SD are generally those showing repeats of repeats of repeats and perhaps it will soon be time to abandon them if they don't step up.

At least one of the top bods in the industry agrees with you.

I recently read that one of the channel operators (can't remember which one) said that filling a (SD) FTA channel with old former pay TV material and hoping to make a profit are over.

I think it must have been Discovery during their recent dispute, or possibly TruTV.

Inactive Digital 15-02-2017 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35885952)
At least one of the top bods in the industry agrees with you.

I recently read that one of the channel operators (can't remember which one) said that filling a (SD) FTA channel with old former pay TV material and hoping to make a profit are over.

I think it must have been Discovery during their recent dispute, or possibly TruTV.

According the Broadcast, Discovery are set to launch a new FTA channel.

OLD BOY 15-02-2017 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 35885953)

That is correct.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...k-fta-channel/

Discovery confirms new UK FTA channel

Discovery Communications has confirmed that it will launch a second free-to-air channel in the UK later this year.

CEO David Zaslav revealed the plan during an earnings call with reporters, commenting: “While we never look forward to potential carriage standoff, the negotiation with Sky reaffirmed the strong value of our brand portfolio and the passion and engagement of our super fan communities. Our new agreement with Sky in the key UK and German markets includes new opportunities to launch new channels and services. So, we will be helped with more growth in the two biggest media markets in Europe in the years ahead. We will have more news to share in the coming weeks as we will be launching new services, including a second free-to-air channel in the UK, leveraging our strong existing IP to reach more viewers in the UK market, and the new free-to-air channel will make money for us this year.”

Discovery currently airs free-to-air channel Quest on Freeview, as well as Sky and Virgin, in the UK.

denphone 15-02-2017 18:34

And was it not your prediction that companies are going to get rid of some of their Linear channels OB instead of creating them.;)

RichardCoulter 15-02-2017 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35885962)
That is correct.

Discovery confirms new UK FTA channel

Discovery Communications has confirmed that it will launch a second free-to-air channel in the UK later this year.

CEO David Zaslav revealed the plan during an earnings call with reporters, commenting: “While we never look forward to potential carriage standoff, the negotiation with Sky reaffirmed the strong value of our brand portfolio and the passion and engagement of our super fan communities. Our new agreement with Sky in the key UK and German markets includes new opportunities to launch new channels and services. So, we will be helped with more growth in the two biggest media markets in Europe in the years ahead. We will have more news to share in the coming weeks as we will be launching new services, including a second free-to-air channel in the UK, leveraging our strong existing IP to reach more viewers in the UK market, and the new free-to-air channel will make money for us this year.”

Discovery currently airs free-to-air channel Quest on Freeview, as well as Sky and Virgin, in the UK.

I think it likely that Discovery Shed or DMAX could go FTA. Also, Quest is FTV on satellite, let's hope that there will be a cessation of this too.

Quote:

Thanks- looks like it wasn't Discovery that said it then.

Aguero9320 15-02-2017 21:20

According to an article on a516digital, it says that Eurosport 1, DMAX and TLC are all FTA on satellite in Germany.

I could see all three becoming available (Quest merging into DMAX) and Discovery purchasing a third spot on Freeview and Quest +1 also to cease on Freeview as a result.

OLD BOY 15-02-2017 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35885969)
And was it not your prediction that companies are going to get rid of some of their Linear channels OB instead of creating them.;)

In the future, yes, Den.

Inactive Digital 15-02-2017 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 35886007)
According to an article on a516digital, it says that Eurosport 1, DMAX and TLC are all FTA on satellite in Germany.

I could see all three becoming available (Quest merging into DMAX) and Discovery purchasing a third spot on Freeview and Quest +1 also to cease on Freeview as a result.

I suspect it could be a sport channel. Quest features a good amount of live sport and the last line of the quote sounds quite aggressive in terms of business expectations:
Quote:

...leveraging our strong existing IP to reach more viewers in the UK market, and the new free-to-air channel will make money for us this year.

theone2k10 15-02-2017 22:35

Quote:

Discovery shed going fta i think and discovery will launch discovery world too which will be behind a paywall.
Only guessing here as got no info on discovery at mo.

denphone 16-02-2017 05:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35886010)
In the future, yes, Den.

Spoken just like the modern day politicians of this country...;)

OLD BOY 16-02-2017 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35886031)
Spoken just like the modern day politicians of this country...;)

My linear channels thread is about the future, Den. The clue's in the title! ;)

denphone 16-02-2017 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35886038)
My linear channels thread is about the future, Den. The clue's in the title! ;)

Is that in the future of 2098 ;) or perhaps in the year 2156 ;)

OLD BOY 16-02-2017 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35886040)
Is that in the future of 2098 ;) or perhaps in the year 2156 ;)

I think your maths is a bit off there, old chap! We were talking about 20 years...:smokin:

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

Hopefully, Sony's takeover of TruTV will improve the programming on that channel.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...utv-in-the-uk/

Inactive Digital 16-02-2017 13:09

Broadcast now reporting Discovery''s new channel will be female-skewed and is being dubbed 'Quest Red'.

Media Boy UK 16-02-2017 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 35886074)
Broadcast now reporting Discovery''s new channel will be female-skewed and is being dubbed 'Quest Red'.

We have seen rumour that Quest Red may launch as early as March 15th on Virgin Media UK.

Also Sky Cinema Greats will become Sky Cinema Oscars from Monday until March 5th.

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35886048)
Hopefully, Sony's takeover of TruTV will improve the programming on that channel.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...utv-in-the-uk/

Move like:

TruTV closes with programming joining True Crime or Sony Channel and TruTV slot reuse for the relaunch of True Crime +1.

Sony did axe True Crime +1 on other networks yesterday.