Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Updated: Large Global Scale Cyber-Attack (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704880)

heero_yuy 14-05-2017 09:46

Re: Large Scale Cyber-Attack Hits 40 NHS Hospitals

M$ still support embedded* XP systems (until ~2020) so they're just making public a patch that exists anyway.

*Gaming machines, pub quiz, airport schedule displays etc

Osem 14-05-2017 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35898767)
if we didn't have progress we would just grind to a halt ,this is the governments fault for not investing in the technology not microsoft's for developing it

It's not just government though is it. Far more commercial organisations have been hit.

Maybe MS could just develop products which don't have so many serious vulnerabilities that require patching in the first place. ;)

Damien 14-05-2017 10:04

XP is a very old operating system at this point and for major architectural changes they need to move on with new releases. XP was supported for 12 years and the British government had a contract for even further support which they, foolishly, cancelled in 2015. How long can Microsoft be expected to continue providing support for an operating system released in 2001? The world has moved on.

As papa smurf said the fault here lies with the Government and the NHS. You simply cannot justify using XP so long after it's release and long past it's generous support window ending. They had more than enough time to to update or commission new software that was dependent on XP. They had more than enough time to update the hardware. Microsoft have been aggressively warning about the end of support for over 5 years.

An XP machine connected to the internet is a recipe for disaster.

arcimedes 14-05-2017 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35898769)
Maybe MS could just develop products which don't have so many serious vulnerabilities that require patching in the first place. ;)

Well you can always use Apple instead :D

I can remember sitting in front of a terminal and it would go unresponsive. Ah yes the computer is about to crash and restart and thats back in the 1980's.

Damien 14-05-2017 10:07

Windows 10 is more secure. The nature of software means it's always an arms-race with these things and the nature of the threat evolves.

heero_yuy 14-05-2017 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35898771)

I beg to differ, my XP SP2 machine is permanently connected to the net, has never been patched since the OS was installed over 10 years ago and does not get infected. The issue is NOT the age of the OS but the stupidity/naivety of the staff using the computers.

This worm affects all versions of windows upto and including W10.

Damien 14-05-2017 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35898776)
I beg to differ, my XP SP2 machine is permanently connected to the net, has never been patched since the OS was installed over 10 years ago and does not get infected. The issue is NOT the age of the OS but the stupidity/naivety of the staff using the computers.

This worm affects all versions of windows upto and including W10.

XP2 stopped receiving security patches years ago. It may be possible to keep to secure if you know what you're doing but vulnerabilities remain.

I hadn't heard Windows 10 was vulnerable to this. Ars state it's not: https://arstechnica.co.uk/security/2...dows-versions/ whereas previous ones such as Windows 8 and 7 are still in their extended support cycles so should have been patched already. Any Windows 8 or 7 machine that kept up to date would also not be vulnerable.

This post better explains what happened: https://www.troyhunt.com/everything-...pt-ransomware:

Quote:

It's able to do this where the machine supporting the protocol has not received the critical MS-17-010 security patch from Microsoft which was issued on the 14th of March and addresses vulnerabilities in SMBv1 (Microsoft doesn't mention SMBv2 but Kaspersky has stated that WannaCry targets v2 as has Symantec). In other words, you had to be almost 2 months behind in your patch cycle in order to get hit with this. Windows 10 machines were not subject to the vulnerability this patch addressed and are therefore not at risk of the malware propagating via this vector. Likewise, I've seen no commentary suggesting that other SMB implementations such as Samba are impacted.
So the flaw in previous versions of Windows allowed this to spread so fast. A single computer might be hit by the negligence of staff but unpatched computers caused to to spread.

OLD BOY 14-05-2017 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35898771)
XP is a very old operating system at this point and for major architectural changes they need to move on with new releases. XP was supported for 12 years and the British government had a contract for even further support which they, foolishly, cancelled in 2015. How long can Microsoft be expected to continue providing support for an operating system released in 2001? The world has moved on.

As papa smurf said the fault here lies with the Government and the NHS. You simply cannot justify using XP so long after it's release and long past it's generous support window ending. They had more than enough time to to update or commission new software that was dependent on XP. They had more than enough time to update the hardware. Microsoft have been aggressively warning about the end of support for over 5 years.

It's not the date of release that we should be looking at, but the date it ceased to be sold. I've had to replace my Windows Vista with Windows 10 after only about 7 years' or so use out of it. They should continue to support software for about 15 years at least after the last date they stopped selling it. Not everyone can afford to replace their computer on a regular basis, which is what I had to do.

Osem 14-05-2017 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcimedes (Post 35898773)
Well you can always use Apple instead :D

lol The NHS would be bankrupt if they did that. ;)

I've managed to stay trouble free since the days of Win 3.1 (touching wood :erm: ) so quite happy with with what MS have provided. Then again I don't go surfing dodgy sites and blindly clicking on every email I receive.

I know personal responsibility seems to be going out of fashion in some areas of our lives but maybe HMG should launch a new public information campaign. How about:

THINK before you CLICK!!

Stephen 14-05-2017 11:47

Now over 200,000 people affected in 150 countries.

Cyber-attack threat escalating - Europol - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39913630

RizzyKing 14-05-2017 11:53

I actually saw on a gaming forum someone admitting they were now opening any email so they could see what this does and it was ok because if anything happened to his laptop he would get his dad to sort it out. Suddenly made it clear to me how these things spread so quick.

Osem 14-05-2017 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35898790)
I actually saw on a gaming forum someone admitting they were now opening any email so they could see what this does and it was ok because if anything happened to his laptop he would get his dad to sort it out. Suddenly made it clear to me how these things spread so quick.

There really are some very simple//stupid people out there and no matter what HMG (or anyone else for that matter) does they can't really prevent naive idiots or even dangerous individuals with terrorist sympathies from doing such things.

Damien 14-05-2017 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35898785)
lol The NHS would be bankrupt if they did that. ;)

I've managed to stay trouble free since the days of Win 3.1 (touching wood :erm: ) so quite happy with with what MS have provided. Then again I don't go surfing dodgy sites and blindly clicking on every email I receive.

I know personal responsibility seems to be going out of fashion in some areas of our lives but maybe HMG should launch a new public information campaign. How about:

THINK before you CLICK!!

Yup.. Although you can also get infected from visiting mainstream sites. There are cases where someone manages to place malicious code into those ad networks which in turn exploits a bug in the browser or OS to install itself and then game over man, game over.

papa smurf 15-05-2017 08:22

Smurf-mad IT expert who saved the world from ransomware virus now helping GCHQ prevent new attacks

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...e-virus-lives/

heero_yuy 15-05-2017 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35898801)
Yup.. Although you can also get infected from visiting mainstream sites. There are cases where someone manages to place malicious code into those ad networks which in turn exploits a bug in the browser or OS to install itself and then game over man, game over.

That's why I use a script blocker. It's the most likely way for a malicious website to gain access to your machine. I also blacklist all those trackers that target advertising.