Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704203)

denphone 25-01-2017 21:54

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

No it looks pretty a pretty abrupt parting of the ways to me but it would be nice to know what others think?

Dave42 25-01-2017 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882258)
No it looks pretty a pretty abrupt parting of the ways to me but it would be nice to know what others think?

it good no one can blame VM for that :LOL: see VM aint always the bad guys after all people

denphone 25-01-2017 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35882259)
it good no one can blame VM for that :LOL: see VM aint always the bad guys after all people

Oh dear Dave l don't want you upsetting our Sky fan boys on this forum.;):D

muppetman11 25-01-2017 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35882202)
Should be interesting to see how this plays out. Discovery will lose a lot of viewers if it's pulled from SKY. I'm a big fan of the Discovery Channel but not the other variations of the channel that broadcast. Would be sad to see it go but not a deal breaker for me.

Had a look at BARB figures for the Discovery Channel through 2016. It pulls in around 430,000 viewers per day. SKY households must account for around 70% of their total viewers. Can't see Discovery Channel lasting too long with around 129,000 viewers each day. Some of the other Discovery branded channels are only pulling in around 60,000 viewers per day.

Something has to give.

I'm willing to bet anyone who is annoyed should this happen can get out of contract owing to serious changes being made. You can bet people will be scouring the T&C's.

Stephen 25-01-2017 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35882251)

Haha I love how Sky are trying to make it sound like it was their choice and then trying to promote their sports channels lmao.

Chad 25-01-2017 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35882251)

Kind of thing I expected from SKY. Get the announcement in early and monitor how many people give 30 days notice to cancel their TV service. SKY will already have worked out what their break even figure is. If cancellation requests don't come flooding in between now and the weeks after the channels go off air I can't see SKY breaking a sweat.

2 ways this can pan out. SKY see minimal impact which justifies their position that Discovery Network content isn't worth paying the asking price for. This puts Discovery Network in a position of losing the vast majority of their audience, carriage fee and loss of advertising revenue and having to face the reality of having to accept even less to get their channels back on the SKY platform.

The second outcome is SKY get more requests to cancel than they expected forcing them to go back to Discovery Network and paying more than they wanted to get the channels back.

I suspect SKY have already been preparing for the loss of these channels. SKY Sports Mix to cover Eurosport, Viceland to cover the Discovery Channels plus who knows maybe SKY Bravo might finally turn up to cover the nonsense broadcast on TLC, Quest and DMAX? :D

muppetman11 25-01-2017 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35882265)
Haha I love how Sky are trying to make it sound like it was their choice and then trying to promote their sports channels lmao.

As I say this happens all the time in the USA , apparently Discovery now have things rolling periodically across their channels. It's a game between the two which will no doubt get sorted somewhere in the middle. To be fair both parties can't afford for it to happen like Chad says be interesting to see how it plays out.

alwaysabear 25-01-2017 22:16

This of course could be the first salvo of a proxy war, as we know the two combatants behind the scenes.

muppetman11 25-01-2017 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35882271)
This of course could be the first salvo of a proxy war, as we know the two combatants behind the scenes.

What is the link with Discovery and Malone ?

Murdoch's Fox of course own majority stakes in the Nat Geo channels which of course compete for viewing with Discovery.

alwaysabear 25-01-2017 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35882273)
What is the link with Discovery and Malone ?

Murdoch's Fox of course own majority stakes in the Nat Geo channels which of course compete for viewing with Discovery.

He owns 29% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Communications.

theone2k10 25-01-2017 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35882259)

For once vm are innocent lol.

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35882263)
I'm willing to bet anyone who is annoyed should this happen can get out of contract owing to serious changes being made. You can bet people will be scouring the T&C's.

You can, although different company when BT lost Fox people were allowed to cancel their BT without penalty.

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35882275)

Coming next VM lose Fox, nat geo, sky channels lol. I honestly wouldn't put it past Sky.

Chad 26-01-2017 00:07

Desperate stuff from Discovery:

http://keepdiscovery.co.uk/

"CALLING ALL SKY AND NOW TV VIEWERS: YOU MAY LOSE YOUR FAVOURITE DISCOVERY PROGRAMMES AND CHANNELS"

"Sky and NOW TV subscribers in the UK and Ireland could soon lose all of Discovery’s channels and programmes. Every week, more than five and a half million people watch one of our shows on Sky. Our fans are amongst the most loyal in TV and we have invested significantly to bring world class channels and high quality programmes to the UK for nearly 30 years.

We are committed to finding a solution with Sky in order to keep bringing you the channels you love."

It's emotional black mail. It's like they are staring into the abyss desperately appealing to SKY customers to step in and save the day.

Forget Gold Rush, Say Yes to the Dress and Tanked the "SKY carriage war" is the most entertaining thing Discovery have done in years.

theone2k10 26-01-2017 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35882294)
Desperate stuff from Discovery:

http://keepdiscovery.co.uk/

"CALLING ALL SKY AND NOW TV VIEWERS: YOU MAY LOSE YOUR FAVOURITE DISCOVERY PROGRAMMES AND CHANNELS"

"Sky and NOW TV subscribers in the UK and Ireland could soon lose all of Discovery’s channels and programmes. Every week, more than five and a half million people watch one of our shows on Sky. Our fans are amongst the most loyal in TV and we have invested significantly to bring world class channels and high quality programmes to the UK for nearly 30 years.

We are committed to finding a solution with Sky in order to keep bringing you the channels you love."

It's emotional black mail. It's like they are staring into the abyss desperately appealing to SKY customers to step in and save the day.

Forget Gold Rush, Say Yes to the Dress and Tanked the "SKY carriage war" is the most entertaining thing Discovery have done in years.

Thing is Discovery channels are quite poor now and their pleas won't be heard, seems like they realised they've royally screwed up and are trying emotional blackmail now.
Only shows i'd miss would be dual survival, ed stafford but they're all on kodi anyway but then again i have bt tv so not affected i don't think.
Gives me a good excuse to use to drop sky multiscreen might be able to barter a bit as in contract lol.

Chad 26-01-2017 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882295)
Thing is Discovery channels are quite poor now and their pleas won't be heard, seems like they realised they've royally screwed up and are trying emotional blackmail now.
Only shows i'd miss would be dual survival, ed stafford but they're all on kodi anyway but then again i have bt tv so not affected i don't think.
Gives me a good excuse to use to drop sky multiscreen might be able to barter a bit as in contract lol.

I do love a bit of Ed Stafford but he's only on about 6 weeks in the year. Also used to love Mythbusters but that's finished. They don't have much on that I'd watch week in, week out. It's mainly 1 off documentaries I catch.

They've went the way of the History channel in recent years. I remember when both used to have quality documentaries. Now it's all about dumb ass reality shows.

1andrew1 26-01-2017 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882223)
Good grief your household Arthur must switch between suppliers every few months.;)

Arthur's household is one of those households which have one window saying Vote Labour and the other saying Vote Conservative. :)

---------- Post added at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882295)

I'm sure the two will come to an agreement. After all, Sky sells their advertising last time I checked.
I think Discovery's content has decreased in quality but increased in viewer numbers. Whether such viewers are as attractive to advertisers is another matter.

denphone 26-01-2017 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35882265)

Its called Sky's inconvenient truth...;)

---------- Post added at 06:19 ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882281)

You can, although different company when BT lost Fox people were allowed to cancel their BT without penalty.

Coming next VM lose Fox, nat geo, sky channels lol. I honestly wouldn't put it past Sky.

A leopard never changes his spots and they certainly ain't changed their's..

1andrew1 26-01-2017 07:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35882299)
I think Discovery's content has decreased in quality but increased in viewer numbers. Whether such viewers are as attractive to advertisers is another matter.

On reflection a few hours later, Discovery has been investing heavily in its Eurosport channel, most famously with the Olympics.
I'm sure Discovery and Sky will come to an arrangement eventually but until then, Sky and Now TV customers won't be happy to potentially see the loss of these channels especially when Sky's landline prices are going up nearly 10%.
I think long-term, this could encourage Discovery to sell its channels directly to consumers via an app on smart TVs and other streaming devices. It already has Eurosport Player as the basis for this

---------- Post added at 07:09 ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35882267)
I suspect SKY have already been preparing for the loss of these channels. SKY Sports Mix to cover Eurosport, Viceland to cover the Discovery Channels plus who knows maybe SKY Bravo might finally turn up to cover the nonsense broadcast on TLC, Quest and DMAX? :D

Now we know how Sky can freeze its TV prices for some customers for five years. Up line rental by nearly 10% and then reduce the number of channels each year. Job done. ;)

OLD BOY 26-01-2017 07:54

Another interesting fact to emerge from this is Sky's reference to linear TV being in decline.

Discovery’s portfolio of channels includes many which are linear-only where viewing is falling.

If there is no deal forthcoming with Sky, there will be insufficient viewers left to keep Discovery channels going. This will inevitably lead to fewer channels being broadcast.

This is the first real sign that linear channels will be in decline in future years due to on demand viewing increasing in popularity and ultimately becoming dominant.

Having said that, I would be surprised if a last minute deal was not made on this occasion. Nonetheless, Sky's comment is significant.

Horizon 26-01-2017 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882258)

The real bun fight is to come.

This is Murdoch vs Malone, again. For one last fight before they go to the big bank in the sky.

Malone is hoping to recreate in America what was done here, ie create one gigantic cableco, and film/tv company.

He has Discovery, including Eurosport. He has a share in Lionsgate. He wants to create a powerful competitor to the big 6 media companies in the US, especially Murdoch's. Eventually he may sell out to one of them.

Malone almost snatched Murdoch's company away from him once and this Discovery move, I think, is part of a wider fight to come.

Those lovely old grandads with their slippers and their cocoa and their billions to throw around, who said retirement was boring??:)

denphone 26-01-2017 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882321)
Another interesting fact to emerge from this is Sky's reference to linear TV being in decline.

Discovery’s portfolio of channels includes many which are linear-only where viewing is falling.

If there is no deal forthcoming with Sky, there will be insufficient viewers left to keep Discovery channels going. This will inevitably lead to fewer channels being broadcast.

This is the first real sign that linear channels will be in decline in future years due to on demand viewing increasing in popularity and ultimately becoming dominant.

Having said that, I would be surprised if a last minute deal was not made on this occasion. Nonetheless, Sky's comment is significant.

Nice to see you pick out bit and pieces that you like OB.;)

OLD BOY 26-01-2017 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35882322)
The real bun fight is to come.

This is Murdoch vs Malone, again. For one last fight before they go to the big bank in the sky.

Malone is hoping to recreate in America what was done here, ie create one gigantic cableco.

He has Discovery, including Eurosport. He has a share in Lionsgate. He wants to create a powerful competitor to the big 6 media companies in the US, especially Murdoch's. Eventually he may sell out to one of them.

Malone almost snatched Murdoch's company away from him once and this Discovery move, I think, is part of a wider fight to come.

Those lovely old grandads with their slippers and their cocoa and their billions to throw around, who said retirement was boring??:)

Well, if John Malone now capitalised on his recent purchases such as Lionsgate and launched some exclusive channels on the back of it, that would certainly deal a big blow to Sky in terms of paying customers. It would put VM in a much more competitive position.

Horizon 26-01-2017 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882325)
Well, if John Malone now capitalised on his recent purchases such as Lionsgate and launched some exclusive channels on the back of it, that would certainly deal a big blow to Sky in terms of paying customers. It would put VM in a much more competitive position.

That will probably happen eventually, but at the moment Sky has the rights to all new films in the UK.

Media Boy UK 26-01-2017 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882281)

Virgin Media UK did lost Sky Basic years old.

heero_yuy 26-01-2017 09:34

Maybe Discovery will push their Discoverygo streaming offering rather than bowing to Sky?

OB's prediction of the demise of linear broadcast TV might just be starting to happen.

1andrew1 26-01-2017 09:47

In terms of Discovery's response, could it launch its own pack and sell directly to Sky's customers in the same way that BT does say for £4.99pm? It could also ally with other pay-TV channels and launch a competing offering to Sky on its own platform. Or do a big deal with BT and let Sy sell access to its channels on the Sky platform?
Discovery could offer inclusive access to an app on Smart TVs and streaming devices and eventually migrate customers over to these devices instead of satellite.

There is a parallel situation with Sky in Germany too which could see Discovery's portfolio leave the platform on 1st February.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...iage-contract/

As I mentioned yesterday, Sky Media sells advertising for Discovery's channels. May be a bit stressful at Sky Media at the moment! A new deal was only signed in October last year. Don't think this includes Eurosport.
https://www.skymedia.co.uk/news/disc...ip-uk-ireland/

Discover's shares were down 3.19% 4pm Eastern Time yesterday.

muppetman11 26-01-2017 09:48

Sky to offer full TV service without a dish for the first time

https://www.theguardian.com/business...e-rights-costs

http://www.techradar.com/news/sky-q-...lite-from-2018

Horizon 26-01-2017 10:14

.... I knew it and said it here. They're turning into a cableco!

I said in the streaming or linear tv threads, that rather than Now TV being a defensive move, to mop up some cancelled tv subs, its an offensive one as it gradually transitions from a satellite tv company to a cableco in all but name.

heavyside 26-01-2017 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35882341)

That's an interesting development. I wonder if Virgin Media will follow suit and deliver its TV service via broadband to non-cabled areas?

1andrew1 26-01-2017 10:19

Quote:

As well as cutting installation costs, does this mean that it is a closed platform and that companies like BT will only be able to sell their channels on Sky's satellite platform?

theone2k10 26-01-2017 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882321)

No it is pure greed from both parties plain and simple.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882325)

If and if it is Malone and Murdoch swinging their bits at each other then VM will also suffer as no doubt SKY will retaliate and refuse a deal in the future for Sky owned channels to be on VM and those include the Nat geo channels i believe aswell as FOX.
It's going to get very messy.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35882337)
Maybe Discovery will push their Discoverygo streaming offering rather than bowing to Sky?

OB's prediction of the demise of linear broadcast TV might just be starting to happen.

If the discoverygo app that launches here is anything like the USA one forget it, it is buggy as hell.
But then again it is relatively new so i guess bugs are to be expected.

OLD BOY 26-01-2017 10:45

Quote:

Smart move by Sky. VM could do the same if it had its own content to offer.

Then again, I guess VM could still offer its bundles by this method and link it in with their broadband deals, although such a link could not be extended to those parts of the country VM doesn't reach.

Having said that, they could still provide their full channel offering with a new VM streaming stick or box connected to the internet and maybe link it with a discount offer relating to their mobile phone part of the business. In that way, you would be able to get VM TV packages anywhere in the UK that was connected to the internet.

I don't see Discovery being able to make it on its own with their type of programming on a new subscription based Discovery On Demand platform, but as part of a larger offering, it would remain attractive to subscribers. If Sky dig in their heels and Discovery becomes reliant on the smaller players like Virgin Media and BT, I don't think it will be viable any more. Extending Virgin Media to the rest of the country could be a solution.

These times are becoming very interesting!

Parkinjw 26-01-2017 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazz (Post 35880756)
Got an email from virgin yesterday saying I was getting Sky Sports free for 6 weeks

Me too. A little odd seeing as I cancelled it in December. And then only in SD. Its hardly going to make me nostalgic, and think ahh the good old days of fuzzy TV, lets shell out that £50 a month again

OLD BOY 26-01-2017 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35882326)
That will probably happen eventually, but at the moment Sky has the rights to all new films in the UK.

Don't forget that Lionsgate produce more than just feature films.

https://www.lionsgate.com/channels/

BenMcr 26-01-2017 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882354)
Smart move by Sky. VM could do the same if it had its own content to offer.

Then again, I guess VM could still offer its bundles by this method and link it in with their broadband deals, although such a link could not be extended to those parts of the country VM doesn't reach.

Having said that, they could still provide their full channel offering with a new VM streaming stick or box connected to the internet and maybe link it with a discount offer relating to their mobile phone part of the business. In that way, you would be able to get VM TV packages anywhere in the UK that was connected to the internet.

I'm not sure Sky and Virgin Media have the same business approach to expansion. Sky are very much a content provider, so are keen to have their channels and content available as widely as possible, but don't have much scope if a dish can't be installed.

Virgin Media aren't currently at the same content level, although there are moving to head back in that direction. Currently TV and TiVo / V6 are there to persuade customers to take out services using the VM network. There wouldn't seem to be much advantage for VM to offer to resell TV without that connection.

And as Virgin Media are doing a network build, then they have other ways of extending their offering into new areas.

OLD BOY 26-01-2017 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35882367)
I'm not sure Sky and Virgin Media have the same business approach to expansion. Sky are very much a content provider, so are keen to have their channels and content available as widely as possible, but don't have much scope if a dish can't be installed.

Virgin Media aren't currently at the same content level, although there are moving to head back in that direction. Currently TV and TiVo / V6 are there to persuade customers to take out services using the VM network. There wouldn't seem to be much advantage for VM to offer to resell TV without that connection.

And as Virgin Media are doing a network build, then they have other ways of extending their offering into new areas.

Yes, good points. And there is plenty of scope to extend into other urban areas, which should increase income to the level at which it makes good sense to go back into content.

I guess the idea of extending Virgin Media into country areas away from urban conurbations is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future, unless they move into the satellite broadband arena. If they can tap into Government subsidies, this could just be a viable option.

Horizon 26-01-2017 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882357)
Don't forget that Lionsgate produce more than just feature films.

https://www.lionsgate.com/channels/

I know, lots of tv too.

This news today, as someone has already said, is directly relevant, I believe, to your linear channels discussion thread.

Netflix is a game changer, a disrupter. More stuff is going on demand. Something has to give somewhere...

Figures from Disney revealed last year, that interest in premium sports is declining at least on their ESPN service in favour of younger people preferring to "consume" box sets on demand. If this trend continues, this has major ramifications for all the big media cos, including Murdoch's.

This move by Discovery, is, I think, not for the interest of consumers like they're spinning, but, a positioning move as part of their masters' grand plan.

RichardCoulter 26-01-2017 16:28

Perhaps the Discovery V Sky thing might affect VM customers after all.

If negotiations fail and Discovery lose 70% of their viewers, it may not be financially viable for them to carry on eg Current TV.

Having said that, I believe that the original Discovery Channel was cable only in the UK until joining the Sky Multichannels package in 1993.

denphone 26-01-2017 16:40

l somehow doubt this will affect Virgin Richard.

OLD BOY 26-01-2017 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882406)
l somehow doubt this will affect Virgin Richard.

I think Richard came to that conclusion because Discovery will lose a substantial proportion of their UK income if they were no longer available on the Sky platform. We could see fewer channels from them as a result, but I doubt that Discovery would disappear from our screens altogether.

However, they do now have a financial shortfall to address, so it will be interesting to see how they go about that.

I do wonder, though, whether this might be part of a grand plan, the true nature of which will be revealed at a later date. What that is, is anybody's guess, but I suspect it is designed to be some sort of Murdoch repellant.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

This may be a clue to Discovery's whole strategy, which involves the exclusion of Sky from the scene. Given that Virgin Media has been promised continued access to the Discovery channels, this could put them in a very good position in the content game.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/d..._joint_venture

Discovery and BAMTech announce European joint venture

Eurosport owner Discovery Communications has agreed a partnership with digital technology and streaming specialist BAMTech to create BAMTech Europe.

BAMTech, a subsidiary of Major League Baseball’s (MLB) digital business, will work with Discovery on a new joint venture to deliver better digital reach and performance to rights holders, broadcasters and the operators of OTT platforms across Europe. The new company's first partner will be Eurosport Digital, which has signed a long-term deal to incorporate BAMTech's back-end services into all of its services, including Eurosport.com and the Eurosport Player, a subscription-based direct-to-viewer channel.

The partnership also allows for a collaboration on future rights partnerships, including current and future rights held by BAMTech, which has major long-term deals in place with the likes of the National Hockey League (NHL), and the prospect of future joint acquisitions.

The deal comes months after The Walt Disney Company spent US$1 billion on a one-third stake in BAMTech, with an option for further investment in the years ahead, and with Discovery keen to push subscriber numbers on its Eurosport Player towards the one million mark.....

...BAMTech was spun off from Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM) in August 2015, having supplied white-label digital streaming services to the likes of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and the premium US entertainment network HBO.....

“Discovery has been investing internationally in new business models and brands for decades, resulting in the most extensive global footprint in media,” said Discovery Communications president and chief executive David Zaslav. “The formation of this world-class technology provider, BAMTech Europe, with our partners at BAMTech, accelerates Discovery’s long-term strategy to bring our premium content to more viewers across more screens than ever before.”

Bob Bowman, the MLB president for business and media, added: "The collaboration of Discovery’s breadth of live sports content, including the Olympic Games, and BAMTech will bring European fans access to these valuable events like never before. Discovery has been a global leader in media and will be a great partner in expanding BAMTech to Europe, with an eye to developing new models for delivering content in the best interests of customers. We can’t wait to get started."

denphone 26-01-2017 17:34

Well we have had project purple and project Ethan from Sky and it seems they might require a even bigger project as their rivals and enemies start to park more tanks on their lawn.;)

alwaysabear 26-01-2017 17:48

Good find OB. Things are getting interesting!

theone2k10 26-01-2017 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35882420)
Good find OB. Things are getting interesting!

It's ok these companies swinging their parts at each other but the bottom line is it will be the consumer who suffers in the end.

alwaysabear 26-01-2017 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882433)
It's ok these companies swinging their parts at each other but the bottom line is it will be the consumer who suffers in the end.

There is no doubt about that!:(

muppetman11 26-01-2017 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882223)
The thing is Sky found it easy to bully before but might find the piper plays a rather different tune now.

I'm pretty sure Sky aren't the first platform in Europe to accuse Discovery of asking to much for their channels and Talk Talk completely removed them.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...canal-digital/
http://www.digitaltveurope.net/63676...sian-platform/

theone2k10 26-01-2017 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35882443)
I'm pretty sure Sky aren't the first platform in Europe to accuse Discovery of asking to much for their channels and Talk Talk completely removed them.

There are certain people who think the sun shines out of Malones backside and he can't do no wrong so SKY,BT,TT will always be the bad guys.
This Discovery fiasco could backfire big time on Malone, i wouldn't be surprised if VM kiss goodbye to Sky/fox owned channels when the current deal is up.

dodgem22 26-01-2017 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882446)
There are certain people who think the sun shines out of Malones backside and he can't do no wrong so SKY,BT,TT will always be the bad guys.
This Discovery fiasco could backfire big time on Malone, i wouldn't be surprised if VM kiss goodbye to Sky/fox owned channels when the current deal is up.

Does anyone know when the current deal is up please?

alwaysabear 26-01-2017 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgem22 (Post 35882447)

I believe its in 2019.

denphone 26-01-2017 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35882443)

Agreed but Sky coming out with the line of unrealistic price demands is a bit like calling the kettle black as Sky are one of the biggest culprits in the regard MM.

theone2k10 26-01-2017 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgem22 (Post 35882447)

Quite awhile left on it i think 2019 MB would know more.

SonicMaster 26-01-2017 21:18

Viceland has popped up on TV Anywhere (channel 215) with a Coming Soon listing so the launch must be imminent.

theone2k10 26-01-2017 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35882455)
Viceland has popped up on TV Anywhere (channel 215) with a Coming Soon listing so the launch must be imminent.

tonight i think.

OLD BOY 27-01-2017 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882446)

Well, it seems that Discovery are reacting to the insistence of these operators that prices should not increase at all, despite the operators increasing their charges. That does sound a little unreasonable to me, at least on the face of it.

As for Sky/Fox channels, I am becoming ambivalent. If we lose Sky 1, I will not be as upset now as I was when the Sky channels were withdrawn a few years ago, because the content
has deteriorated since then, in my opinion. I watch very little on that channel now.

Sky Living does have a few programmes that appeal, such as Madam Secretary, and Sky Arts has some good things on occasionally. I'd be cross about losing Sky Atlantic, but then we don't get that anyway. The Sky Sports and Cinema channels are unlikely to be affected by such a move, if it were to be made.

Fox, however, I would miss, because they do have some good stuff on there.

For me personally, the loss of these channels on VM would not be reflected in a loss of content because I have Now TV, but I might re-consider the packages I take from Virgin Media, assuming that they do not add other channels to replace them.

If VM suspect any hanky panky from Sky in 2019, I hope that they are planning good substitute channels to put on in their place.

1andrew1 27-01-2017 10:57

Assuming that the Discovery channels leave Sky on the 1st February, which platform has the strongest line-up; Sky or VM.

Sky's main non-VM channel will be Sky Atlantic whilst VM's main non-Sky channels will be Eurosport, TLC and Discovery.

Even Stevens or does Eurosport or Atlantic tip the balance in one direction?

muppetman11 27-01-2017 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35882516)
Assuming that the Discovery channels leave Sky on the 1st February, which platform has the strongest line-up; Sky or VM.

Sky's main non-VM channel will be Sky Atlantic whilst VM's main non-Sky channels will be Eurosport, TLC and Discovery.

That's down to each individuals own requirements , I personally think it's a storm in a tea cup and will get resolved pretty sharpish that's not to say the channels won't dissappear short term.

denphone 27-01-2017 11:30

Well if it follows the road of the Sky basics dispute between Sky and Virgin it could take a little bit longer then a short period but alas your knowledge of these things is far better then l MM.

OLD BOY 27-01-2017 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35882518)
That's down to each individuals own requirements , I personally think it's a storm in a tea cup and will get resolved pretty sharpish that's not to say the channels won't dissappear short term.

Unless of course Discovery don't want Sky to have these channels any more, just as Sky don't want VM to get Sky Atlantic.

But.... maybe.. .LG could let Sky have the Discovery bouquet if we can have Atlantic!

theone2k10 27-01-2017 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35882516)

Strange as it might seem but if Discovery networks do depart with SKY then BT tv would be stronger than SKY for doc fans, VM would be in the strongest position overall but coverage and lack of own content could be vms undoing in the long run.

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882521)
Unless of course Discovery don't want Sky to have these channels any more, just as Sky don't want VM to get Sky Atlantic.

But.... maybe.. .LG could let Sky have the Discovery bouquet if we can have Atlantic!

Or knowing SKY they'll launch their own doc channel and hoover up as much content as possible.
However a lot of Discovery content will be safe as Discovery make most of heir own programming.
I agree with MM it's just a storm in a tea cup it's a case of my dingaling is bigger than your dingaling, it'll get resolved one feels in time.

muppetman11 27-01-2017 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882521)

This website setup by Discovery says otherwise

http://www.keepdiscovery.co.uk

OLD BOY 27-01-2017 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35882530)
This website setup by Discovery says otherwise

http://www.keepdiscovery.co.uk

...And if they get enough support from Sky satellite subscribers, Sky will really want to do a deal to get them back.

Let's hope that works to VM's advantage!

passingbat 27-01-2017 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882539)
Let's hope that works to VM's advantage!

Not sure what you mean by that.

OLD BOY 27-01-2017 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35882542)
Not sure what you mean by that.

I mean, Sky get the Discovery channels back in exchange for Sky Atlantic!

I know....!

denphone 27-01-2017 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882554)

I know....!

You ain't serious are you OB?.:nono:

OLD BOY 27-01-2017 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882555)
You ain't serious are you OB?.:nono:

Hence, my last couple of words, Den, but never say never!

theone2k10 27-01-2017 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882554)

I know....!

Yeah vm are going to get all wwe ppv events plus boxing, sky cinema and sports including ultra hd included in their M pack as part of the deal too. :rolleyes:

OLD BOY 27-01-2017 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882559)
Yeah vm are going to get all wwe ppv events plus boxing, sky cinema and sports including ultra hd included in their M pack as part of the deal too. :rolleyes:

Ha, ha, didn't think of that!

theone2k10 27-01-2017 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882561)
Ha, ha, didn't think of that!

At least you knew my post was in jest mate :D

Regarding the discovery fiasco vm seem to having a lot of fun on twitter with it all https://twitter.com/SkyHelpTeam/stat...92532202401792
Not doing themselves any favours with Sky are they 2019 isn't really that far away vm may be digging their own grave.

denphone 27-01-2017 15:17

Really?.

theone2k10 27-01-2017 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882565)
Really?.

Keep your head in the sand bud this is the beginning of a very messy fight.

denphone 27-01-2017 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882567)
Keep your head in the sand bud this is the beginning of a very messy fight.

You stated that Virgin are not doing themselves any favours with Sky and that Virgin might be digging their own grave which is absolute codswallop in both cases.

mike_gain 27-01-2017 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882562)
At least you knew my post was in jest mate :D

Regarding the discovery fiasco vm seem to having a lot of fun on twitter with it all https://twitter.com/SkyHelpTeam/stat...92532202401792
Not doing themselves any favours with Sky are they 2019 isn't really that far away vm may be digging their own grave.

VM appear to be responding directly to people showing an interest in switching. Seems a pretty acceptable business practice, can't see sky going in the huff over it. Be different if they were all over the Sky forums but it's twitter.

theone2k10 27-01-2017 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_gain (Post 35882569)
VM appear to be responding directly to people showing an interest in switching. Seems a pretty acceptable business practice, can't see sky going in the huff over it. Be different if they were all over the Sky forums but it's twitter.

This is SKY we're talking about here.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882568)
You stated that Virgin are not doing themselves any favours with Sky and that Virgin might be digging their own grave which is absolute codswallop.

Ofcourse i forget you are the all knowing genie my apologies sir genie.
However on the plus side it is nice seeing someone give SKY a bloody nose, maybe more will follow.

Aguero9320 27-01-2017 22:57

If Discovery are pulling their channels off Sky, I wouldn't rule out the likes of Viacom and other US companies demanding higher prices. After 1/2/17, I could see a further exodus if TV companies get their own way.

More good news for VM!

1andrew1 27-01-2017 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 35882634)
If Discovery are pulling their channels off Sky, I wouldn't rule out the likes of Viacom and other US companies demanding higher prices. After 1/2/17, I could see a further exodus if TV companies get their own way.

More good news for VM!

These suppliers would then ask VM for increases too and guess who ends up paying?

theone2k10 28-01-2017 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35882636)
These suppliers would then ask VM for increases too and guess who ends up paying?

It starts with one then others jump on the bandwagon the companies would ask sky,vm,bt etc for more money and that money must be recouped somehow and ultimately it is the consumer who ends up paying.
As much as i find it funny SKY getting a bloody nose i still applaud them for not giving in to greedy Malones demands.
Despite getting accused of speaking codswallop by our resident genie i stand by what i said SKY will retaliate and VM will be at the forefront of the retaliation due to vms behaviour in this, yes by all means drum up custom but given the circumstances vm could of just put a pinned post on their social media pages saying "Discovery and Eurosport will be available on virgin media" rather than childishly jumping on tweets to skyhelpteam and bragging that discovery will be on vm, it makes vm stoop to SKY and discoverys pathetic level.
Then again since LG took over VM they have got quite childish, maybe SKY should go crying to ofcom now afterall Malones vm would if it was sky threatening toremove channels.
SKY and vm are as bad as each other, Dicover are being very childish too telling people to contact SKY to keep discovery this creates issues for genuine concerns aka technical issues or customers needing to phone SKY for real reasons.
All 3 sky,vm and discovery need to grow up.

denphone 28-01-2017 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882570)
This is SKY we're talking about here.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Ofcourse i forget you are the all knowing genie my apologies sir genie.
However on the plus side it is nice seeing someone give SKY a bloody nose, maybe more will follow.

If l was back in school l would be known as the dunce of the school as there are many many on here who are far more knowledgeable then l Sir.:dunce:

theone2k10 28-01-2017 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882646)
If l was back in school l would be known as the dunce of the school as there are many many on here who are far more knowledgeable then l Sir.:dunce:

At least you knew i meant it in jest :)

OLD BOY 28-01-2017 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882642)
It starts with one then others jump on the bandwagon the companies would ask sky,vm,bt etc for more money and that money must be recouped somehow and ultimately it is the consumer who ends up paying.
As much as i find it funny SKY getting a bloody nose i still applaud them for not giving in to greedy Malones demands.
Despite getting accused of speaking codswallop by our resident genie i stand by what i said SKY will retaliate and VM will be at the forefront of the retaliation due to vms behaviour in this, yes by all means drum up custom but given the circumstances vm could of just put a pinned post on their social media pages saying "Discovery and Eurosport will be available on virgin media" rather than childishly jumping on tweets to skyhelpteam and bragging that discovery will be on vm, it makes vm stoop to SKY and discoverys pathetic level.
Then again since LG took over VM they have got quite childish, maybe SKY should go crying to ofcom now afterall Malones vm would if it was sky threatening toremove channels.
SKY and vm are as bad as each other, Dicover are being very childish too telling people to contact SKY to keep discovery this creates issues for genuine concerns aka technical issues or customers needing to phone SKY for real reasons.
All 3 sky,vm and discovery need to grow up.

But what were Discovery going to do? Sky had been paying the same money for years despite providing more channels. Sky would have no qualms in doing exactly the same, as indeed they have done in the past.

Nice to see Sky getting a taste of its own medicine but I suspect there will be adverse consequences down the line.

muppetman11 28-01-2017 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882665)
But what were Discovery going to do? Sky had been paying the same money for years despite providing more channels. Sky would have no qualms in doing exactly the same, as indeed they have done in the past.

Nice to see Sky getting a taste of its own medicine but I suspect there will be adverse consequences down the line.

Let's wait and see your reaction in however many years when VM's renewal with Discovery comes around

denphone 28-01-2017 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35882667)
Let's wait and see your reaction in however many years when VM's renewal with Discovery comes around

And we await yours with just as much anticipation too MM.;)

Chad 28-01-2017 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882665)

I'd like to know who's next?

Discovery Network channels vanished from Talk Talk last year then only a few months ago Discovery Network removed Quest on Demand from Youview. Now their channels are set to be removed from the SKY platform. It won't be long until TV Player and BT have their troubles I suspect.

Whilst through time the channels might end up exclusive to Virgin Media what kind of audeince and viewing figures would remain?

I think Eurosport might shock us with bids for Champions League and EPL rights!

denphone 28-01-2017 11:56

These are interesting times ahead as MM said.

theone2k10 28-01-2017 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882671)
These are interesting times ahead as MM said.

Absolutely.

johnathome 28-01-2017 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35882670)
I'd like to know who's next?

Discovery Network channels vanished from Talk Talk last year then only a few months ago Discovery Network removed Quest on Demand from Youview. Now their channels are set to be removed from the SKY platform. It won't be long until TV Player and BT have their troubles I suspect.

Whilst through time the channels might end up exclusive to Virgin Media what kind of audeince and viewing figures would remain?

I think Eurosport might shock us with bids for Champions League and EPL rights!

It's almost as if they are setting themselves up to offer a separate pay service via an app.

Chad 28-01-2017 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35882692)
It's almost as if they are setting themselves up to offer a separate pay service via an app.

Certainly looks that way. Would be interesting to see their price point. Eurosport Player is £59.99 for a 12 month subscription. TV player offers most of the Discovery Network channels as part of their £5.99 per month subscription. Got a feeling they'll go in at about £7.99.

RichardCoulter 28-01-2017 15:43

Apparantly, Sky are telling their customers that "BT & Virgin are letting Discovery go as well" according to their Twitter feed.

denphone 28-01-2017 15:58

Is there no low depths Sky will go too...

Mr Banana 28-01-2017 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35882712)
Apparantly, Sky are telling their customers that "BT & Virgin are letting Discovery go as well" according to their Twitter feed.

Well looks like they are telling lies - look here

https://twitter.com/DiscoveryUK/stat...46675250626560

Dave42 28-01-2017 16:06

sky lying again never in the world :LOL:

RichardCoulter 28-01-2017 16:25

I know that Sky are lying, however, i've been told that VM get their HD feeds by fibre and SD feeds via the satellite.

Can't remember if it was an SD or a HD channel that I was watching on VM last night, but the ticker advice for Sky customers appeared at the top (think it was Discovery Science).

I don't think that this has a HD variant, so perhaps this explains why the ticker is being shown to VM customers??

Could this mean that for technical reasons, as opposed to the Sky/Discovery dispute itself, that we will lose access to the SD Discovery channels from the 1st February??

heero_yuy 28-01-2017 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35882719)
I know that Sky are lying, however, i've been told that VM get their HD feeds by fibre and SD feeds via the satellite.

Can't remember if it was an SD or a HD channel that I was watching on VM last night, but the ticker advice for Sky customers appeared at the top (think it was Discovery Science).

I don't think that this has a HD variant, so perhaps this explains why the ticker is being shown to VM customers??

Could this mean that for technical reasons, as opposed to the Sky/Discovery dispute itself, that we will lose access to the SD Discovery channels from the 1st February??

I saw this on the Discovery SD +1 channel this afternoon on VM. Didn't see all of it. If so VM will have to rejig the way they get their feeds if they're to continue offering +1.

theone2k10 28-01-2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35882712)

Link please or screenshot as can't see nothing like that on their twitter feed.
See planty of dirty tactics from Discovery and vm though.
Not saying SKY aren't saying that, just can't see it on their feed.
Also worth noting and this surprised me tbh SKY have actually told Discovery that Discover or Eurosport does not have to be in a SKY package to be on the SKY platform.
The plot thickens.

RichardCoulter 28-01-2017 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882737)
Link please or screenshot as can't see nothing like that on their twitter feed.
See planty of dirty tactics from Discovery and vm though.
Not saying SKY aren't saying that, just can't see it on their feed.
Also worth noting and this surprised me tbh SKY have actually told Discovery that Discover or Eurosport does not have to be in a SKY package to be on the SKY platform.
The plot thickens.

It's what a customer claims she was told as opposed to Sky openly saying this.

Sky are technically correct in that the Discovery channels could stay on the Sky platform as Free To Air, Free To View or standalone subscription channels.

How viable this would be as a business model is another question...

theone2k10 28-01-2017 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35882738)

Sky are technically correct in that the Discovery channels could stay on the Sky platform as Free To Air, Free To View or standalone subscription channels.

Discovery have form for this behaviour they did the same in Norway, Romania and Germany, they really aren't doing themselves any favours also it's quite pathetic of them to go to social media to get SKY customers to pressure SKY i hope SKY stick to their guns.
Talktalk have certainly stuck to their guns with Discovery.
VM and BT should stop being so cocky too as their turn will come soon enough to negotiate with Discovery.

nodrogd 28-01-2017 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35882738)

Quest is FTA anyway via Freeview. It hasn't appeared on FTA satellite, but this may be due to the sports coverage overflow from Eurosport. Discovery was on cable long before it arrived on satellite via Sky. Not to mention that all the channels are Pan-European so have an audiance that extends far beyond the UK/Ireland.

Discovery have seperate agreements with Virgin & BT, & clearly state on their website that only Sky customers are affected:

http://www.keepdiscovery.co.uk/faq/

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Quote:

Anything going through the Discovery channels UK output suite will appear on all customers TV's. They cannot add it seperately to the satellite uplink. HD channels are fibre fed & VM has access to several distribution satellites which the channels could also use. Also, as with the BT Sports channels, there is nothing to stop them using the Astra transponders privately for distribution & giving reception cards to Virgin, even as a short term solution.

Mr Banana 28-01-2017 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35882742)
Discovery have form for this behaviour they did the same in Norway, Romania and Germany, they really aren't doing themselves any favours also it's quite pathetic of them to go to social media to get SKY customers to pressure SKY i hope SKY stick to their guns.
Talktalk have certainly stuck to their guns with Discovery.
VM and BT should stop being so cocky too as their turn will come soon enough to negotiate with Discovery.

Is John Malone involved in Discovery, VM may find it easier to negotiate with them if he is?

denphone 28-01-2017 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35882761)
Is John Malone involved in Discovery, VM may find it easier to negotiate with them if he is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Malone

Mr Banana 28-01-2017 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882763)

Thanks Denphone - looks like he owns 29%

denphone 28-01-2017 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35882765)
Thanks Denphone - looks like he owns 29%

Yes which is quite a considerable stake Mr B.

theone2k10 28-01-2017 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882766)
Yes which is quite a considerable stake Mr B.

Indeed it is but discoverys behavioyr could make things very difficult for malones companies in the future we all know what SKY are like and they will likely retaliate by making negotiations difficult for vm in 2019 and this could include fox, nat geo channels too.
Then say if Discovery pull the same crap to BT, BT could retaliate too when negotiations for BT sports come around.
End of the day it's going to get very messy and there will only be one loser and that is us the consumer.

spiderplant 28-01-2017 19:45

Quote:

No, VM will not be losing any Discovery channels