Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702913)

oliver1948uk 06-10-2019 14:01

Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

That link is completely stable on my phone

jfman 06-10-2019 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36011862)
Has Virgin even pushed to have it?

Virgin have sent out surveys to customers discussing the TV service and showing mock up “future” user interfaces. It was Horizon.

Not a gimme, but if a Virgin keep TiVo it’ll be TiVo software running on Horizon boxes.

fox35 06-10-2019 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36012978)
Virgin have sent out surveys to customers discussing the TV service and showing mock up “future” user interfaces. It was Horizon.

Not a gimme, but if a Virgin keep TiVo it’ll be TiVo software running on Horizon boxes.

Both the Horizon 4 and TiVo software run on the same box, "Project EOS" Box by ARRIS. The VM version in the UK is just branded V6, referring to its 6 tuners. However, the European version does not have a hard drive, so uses The Cloud for recording and storage. But essentially they are the same boxes with the same hardware, but running different software according to territory.
Both Liberty Global and TiVo renewed their licensing contract just last year, so the TiVo software will still be here for a while at least, albeit as a full User Interface or patents used in the Horizon software.
https://www.multichannel.com/news/ti...al-deal-416177
https://www.libertyglobal.com/libert...orm-horizon-4/

denphone 14-10-2019 09:52

Virgin Apps & Games section now reduced to 22 apps from 31 apps.

Well that is a long way from hundreds of apps that is for sure.

Mr K 14-10-2019 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36013799)

Could reduce it to one as far as I'm concerned (iPlayer), and that's quicker to access via my smart TV.

RobboEdin 14-10-2019 12:23

Quote:

Are the Games now being delivered differently?
Select the Games, rather than All, and see what happens.

OLD BOY 14-10-2019 13:29

Quote:

It's only the games that have disappeared, but there appears to be a lot more content in the 'Games' section.

The video streaming apps are going nowhere, Den. Expect more to be added before much longer.

denphone 14-10-2019 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36013821)
It's only the games that have disappeared, but there appears to be a lot more content in the 'Games' section.

The video streaming apps are going nowhere, Den. Expect more to be added before much longer.

Yes l have noticed that now thanks as there are certainly far more games in the games section then before.

We shall see how many video streaming apps are added in the coming months OB.

alwaysabear 14-10-2019 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36013804)
Could reduce it to one as far as I'm concerned (iPlayer), and that's quicker to access via my smart TV.

All apps are quicker to Access via my smart TV.

vincerooney 14-10-2019 19:26

Hello all- my v6 in my boxroom is incredibly quick (this is where the box connects from outside. the downstairs bedroom is also quick but its just below my bedroom so makes sense.....)

Back room doesnt have the same wonder, signal is low. tivo box often fails to connect etc. so much so that the tv guide isnt connected and then you try to check another channel it goes back to the log in screen.

any suggestions? they're just sending a new box out at this point. will this fix ? i think its more a network issue in my house to go from 300meg in my room and then barely any wireless in the backroom which is 2 metres away

wildfruit 14-10-2019 19:46

Just tried a little test on my second V6 that is WiFi not hard wired. Netflix takes one second or less. IPlayer takes 4 seconds. Seems quick enough.

OLD BOY 14-10-2019 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36013883)
Hello all- my v6 in my boxroom is incredibly quick (this is where the box connects from outside. the downstairs bedroom is also quick but its just below my bedroom so makes sense.....)

Back room doesnt have the same wonder, signal is low. tivo box often fails to connect etc. so much so that the tv guide isnt connected and then you try to check another channel it goes back to the log in screen.

any suggestions? they're just sending a new box out at this point. will this fix ? i think its more a network issue in my house to go from 300meg in my room and then barely any wireless in the backroom which is 2 metres away

It might be gour wifi signal, but I would point out that the V6 is far quicker than the TiVo. Maybe you need one of those wifi boosters, although I don't know how good they are.

fox35 14-10-2019 20:34

Quote:

I had a similar problem with connection drop outs on my 2nd V6 box through Wifi in the bedroom. I split the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz in the Hub 3 settings menu and reconnected to the Virgin Media Service Now in the V6 box setting, with no problems since. Now the bedroom WiFi box is just as fast if not equal to the main living room wired box. Also, I assume you have tried disconnecting all your unused "other" devices or turned on the Hub 3 "intelligent" connect setting in the Hub 3 menu?

Tricky Trevor 15-10-2019 06:29

Quote:

Vince,Download the Virgin Connect app onto your phone and test your wifi for blackspots. I did this and they sent we free wifi extenders for the weak signal to the back bedroom

1701-e 15-10-2019 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor (Post 36013943)
Vince,Download the Virgin Connect app onto your phone and test your wifi for blackspots. I did this and they sent we free wifi extenders for the weak signal to the back bedroom

I did the same and it made a big difference around the house. 5ghz throughout.

heavyside 20-10-2019 11:06

Recently my V6 has recorded programmes that it has already recorded. It's happened twice in the last week or so with unwatched recordings, the most recent example being Match of the Day on Saturday evening and then the Sunday morning repeat both on BBC One. I don't know if this is a sign of a faulty box or the EPG incorrectly tagging repeats as 'new'. Anyone experienced anything similar?

cheekyangus 20-10-2019 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36014493)
Recently my V6 has recorded programmes that it has already recorded. It's happened twice in the last week or so with unwatched recordings, the most recent example being Match of the Day on Saturday evening and then the Sunday morning repeat both on BBC One. I don't know if this is a sign of a faulty box or the EPG incorrectly tagging repeats as 'new'. Anyone experienced anything similar?

Faulty boxes don't result in wrongly recorded programmes, that's always either series link settings or the EPG data being wrong, and usually the latter. So I think your second guess is correct, the Sunday morning repeat was likely wrongly tagged.

ozsat 20-10-2019 11:49

There were no duplications of Match of the Day here using a SL+.

Was the first recording complete?

heavyside 20-10-2019 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36014501)
There were no duplications of Match of the Day here using a SL+.

Was the first recording complete?

I assume both recordings were complete - I only watched the first one. It was a one-off recording (rather than a series link plus) and used the default setting of 'new and reruns' with 5 mins added padding but this should not have duplicated an unwatched recording made only a few hours previously. My suspicion is that the rerun was wrongly tagged with 'new' as the V6 has been behaving normally for all other functions.

On the bright side a duplicate recording is preferable to a missed one (which has happened in the past - again usually as a result of misinformation on the EPG).

ozsat 20-10-2019 15:44

The NEW tag is nothing to do with "recording as NEW". I wondered if the first recording was incomplete and so marked as a not recorded. I didn't get the Sunday repeat here - so doesn't seem to be a data issue.

A one-off recording does not prompt you for 'new and reruns' - that only comes up when Series Links are selected.

heavyside 20-10-2019 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36014516)
The NEW tag is nothing to do with "recording as NEW". I wondered if the first recording was incomplete and so marked as a not recorded. I didn't get the Sunday repeat here - so doesn't seem to be a data issue.

A one-off recording does not prompt you for 'new and reruns' - that only comes up when Series Links are selected.

It remains a mystery.

OLD BOY 20-10-2019 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36014519)
It remains a mystery.

The only thing I can think of is that two recordings were set (eg one for BBC1 and the other for BBC1HD).

spiderplant 20-10-2019 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36014519)
It remains a mystery.

If you've deleted them, please can you fish them out of the bin, then have a look at the metadata in more detail? (Channel, start time, duration etc). I want to know what happened!

heavyside 21-10-2019 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36014530)
If you've deleted them, please can you fish them out of the bin, then have a look at the metadata in more detail? (Channel, start time, duration etc). I want to know what happened!

I've no idea how to retrieve any metadata but I fished the recordings from the deleted folder. The only difference that I could see initially is that the first recoding was 1.30 long and the second 1.40. I am not someone who views recordings through to the bitter end (such as the credits to movies and 'in the next episode' trailers) and I delete them once I have seen what interests me. So, if the first recoding was incomplete for some reason, I would not have been aware of it. Of course this raises the question of why the first recording was cut short (I don't recall any overrun of the previous programme at the start of the recording) if indeed that's the reason for the second recording of the same programme.

spiderplant 21-10-2019 10:49

Saturday's showing was scheduled to be 1:30 long, and Sunday's 1:35, so you may have got two complete recordings, allowing for padding. Were they both recorded from the same channel?

Are you sure you haven't got a Series Link or WishList that recorded one of them? Another possibility is one was a Suggestion?

heavyside 21-10-2019 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36014594)
Saturday's showing was scheduled to be 1:30 long, and Sunday's 1:35, so you may have got two complete recordings, allowing for padding. Were they both recorded from the same channel?

Are you sure you haven't got a Series Link or WishList that recorded one of them? Another possibility is one was a Suggestion?

Both were recorded from BBC One HD - Saturday evening and Sunday morning - and I have padding added to all recordings. I neither have a series link plus for Match off the Day nor a wishlist set up. Long ago I turned 'suggestions' off as I find it useless for the kind of programmes I enjoy.

Joedm45 21-10-2019 13:19

One random theory on this:

The box rebooted itself at some point between the show finishing and the recording finishing? When it came back online there was nothing left to record
That way you would be none the wiser as you've watched what you need to but the box counts it as a failed recording and automatically records the next showing for you.

A bit out there but could be possible. It may be too late to check now but if you have one or more tuners on channel 999 then that signifies a re-boot took place.

heavyside 21-10-2019 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 36014611)
One random theory on this:

The box rebooted itself at some point between the show finishing and the recording finishing? When it came back online there was nothing left to record
That way you would be none the wiser as you've watched what you need to but the box counts it as a failed recording and automatically records the next showing for you.

A bit out there but could be possible. It may be too late to check now but if you have one or more tuners on channel 999 then that signifies a re-boot took place.

Certainly a possibility. Searching for an explanation I did look at my tuners list the following day and three of them were on 999 which struck me as unusual as it's a channel I never visit. However, when I looked in recording hiccups there was nothing untoward there.

denphone 27-04-2020 09:06

There seems to be a fault with the C5 channel and its variants as the programming info only goes up to Friday morning then it says "to be announced" as l am trying to record a series that starts on Friday but l can't.

SnoopZ 27-04-2020 09:09

Done the usual in rebooting the box properly?

denphone 27-04-2020 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36032787)
Done the usual in rebooting the box properly?

l have done that SnoopZ as that was the first thing l did.

cheekyangus 27-04-2020 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36032785)
There seems to be a fault with the C5 channel and its variants as the programming info only goes up to Friday morning then it says "to be announced" as l am trying to record a series that starts on Friday but l can't.

It's just this Friday. I looked and Saturday onto the next Friday is there on both 105 and 154.

joglynne 27-04-2020 09:36

Same here Den, Manchester area 20. Channel 5/+ on Friday does seem to be the only day involved though.

denphone 27-04-2020 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36032793)
Same here Den, Manchester area 20. Channel 5/+ on Friday does seem to be the only day involved though.

Thanks Jo as dozey me :dozey: did not look beyond this Friday as l have now gone to the following Friday now to set a series record.:D

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36032792)
It's just this Friday. I looked and Saturday onto the next Friday is there on both 105 and 154.

Thanks Cheekyangus.:)

joglynne 27-04-2020 09:52

Glad to see you are sorted Den. :tu:

Raider999 27-04-2020 12:15

Quote:

Presumably will be ok later in the week - not as though you are going anywhere

denphone 27-04-2020 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36032844)
Presumably will be ok later in the week - not as though you are going anywhere

No l won't be going anywhere for the forseeable future Raider as l saw the series advertised but could not set a series record but the wise sages of CF plotted the road ahead for dozey me.:)

ozsat 27-04-2020 15:07

C5 for Friday was missing on all platforms and was only released today. It is now appearing fine here on my V6 after a callback.
Quote:

Bob 27-04-2020 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36032896)
C5 for Friday was missing on all platforms and was only released today. It is now appearing fine here on my V6 after a callback.

Was going to say, I spotted this on my Sky box too :)

denphone 27-04-2020 17:00

Quote:

Thanks for that.

japitts 27-04-2020 18:57

Quote:

Thanks ozsat. I've noticed a few weeks running now, that C5 has been one of the slower channels to completely populate. Prone to the odd day missing while others are perfectly fine.

denphone 27-04-2020 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 36032942)
Thanks ozsat. I've noticed a few weeks running now, that C5 has been one of the slower channels to completely populate. Prone to the odd day missing while others are perfectly fine.

Yes as you stated C5 out of all of them is definitely the slowest to populate as l always check on a Saturday what possible programmes l can record in the 14 days ahead and it always seems to be a week behind the others channels.

japitts 28-04-2020 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36032953)
Yes as you stated C5 out of all of them is definitely the slowest to populate as l always check on a Saturday what possible programmes l can record in the 14 days ahead and it always seems to be a week behind the others channels.

And whilst this isn't the first it's happened, I'm sure it's in-hand and will be corrected in plenty of time.... the EPG for those affected days has quite a few programs with not much more than a title and pretty basic precis. Sufficient to set series-links which will then settle down later, I'm sure.

denphone 25-06-2020 06:35

Both V6 boxes seem to have different error codes this morning as one has error code C133 and the other has error code C233.

l have rebooted both boxes this morning but still the different error codes are still showing on the home page.

SnoopZ 25-06-2020 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36041113)
Both V6 boxes seem to have different error codes this morning as one has error code C133 and the other has error code C233.

l have rebooted both boxes this morning but still the different error codes are still showing on the home page.

Does the service status show anything and done the usual full reboot?

joglynne 25-06-2020 09:10

Just checked mine den and no error codes are showing though we have had some picture and sound problems which were also noticed by the Breakfast TV team on BBC.

I also checked out our Freeview link and that seems to be having the same problems.

denphone 25-06-2020 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36041122)
Does the service status show anything and done the usual full reboot?

l rebooted it early this morning and still the error codes were showing but alas 20 minutes ago l rebooted them again and the error codes have disappeared now.

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36041123)
Just checked mine den and no error codes are showing though we have had some picture and sound problems which were also noticed by the Breakfast TV team on BBC.

I also checked out our Freeview link and that seems to be having the same problems.

Thanks jo as thankfully things have sorted themselves out with the V6 boxes as we did not experience any picture and sound problems but l hope they have been sorted out by now for those who did have those problems..

newapollo 25-06-2020 12:15

This may explain the issues earlier, seems to still be ongoing
https://downdetector.co.uk/status/virgin-media/map/
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...rk-outage.html

Media Boy UK 26-06-2020 17:21

My TiVo box was playing up on Thursday at 4am to 9am with tv picture breaking up on channels.

Was fine after 9am ish. Fix before Bless This House started.

But Catch up was down until 9pm.

Mr K 26-06-2020 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36041340)
My TiVo box was playing up on Thursday at 4am to 9am with tv picture breaking up on channels.

Tbh, it would've been best if your TiVo had totally failed before 'Bless This House' was inflicted on you ;)

Hugh 26-06-2020 19:44

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36041350)
Tbh, it would've been best if your TiVo had totally failed before 'Bless This House' was inflicted on you ;)

https://media.tenor.com/images/fbcdc...6d75/tenor.gif

Media Boy UK 26-06-2020 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36041361)
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

I has an idea it was an UK Wide thing - it happen the few months back.

vincerooney 26-06-2020 21:39

Quote:

how fortunate. i went to bed around 3am that night and woke up at 9.30am for work haha.

japitts 27-06-2020 11:24

I know the SL copy function has always been a bit intermittent judging by previous posts, but it's completely non-functional for me.

Had a box swapped out via QuickStart yesterday, and I've run the "copy SL & thumbs" process perhaps 15 times so far. Not a sausage, not a bean, nothing.

Fortuntely I have all my SL listed in an Excel file, so it's just the inconvenience of recreating them - but that won't cover non-active ones that are effectively lost.

I could understand if the option wasn't widely publicised, but it's quite well documented on the website and on all the glossies in the box. So a tad frustrating, really.

spiderplant 27-06-2020 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 36041402)
I know the SL copy function has always been a bit intermittent judging by previous posts, but it's completely non-functional for me.

I'll look into it.

ozsat 27-06-2020 13:13

I've not been able to get it to work at all for a couple of weeks - same as users in the community forum.

As said - when it does work it seems hit and miss as to what is copied.

vincerooney 01-07-2020 00:11

anyones v6 been acting sluggish recently. my broadband has been over 350mbps and hasnt dropped. the v6 in my bedroom next to the router is perfectly fine. the v6 in the back bedroom has been really slow and same downstairs. netflix has been doing the whole "problem with this programme" and apparently mentioning router settings or something. nothing has changed though?

I did get a wifi booster to help with cctv cameras in my back garden but i cant imagine that hurting the wifi to the tivo boxes?

Tricky Trevor 01-07-2020 08:45

We got a Wi-Fi booster as part of the Oomph package and they are a waste of time. This Intellegent Wi-Fi doesnt seem to work in our house especially with the constant drop outs that we have been getting.

I don't suppose the upgrade to 600mbps will make much difference,

spiderplant 01-07-2020 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36041811)
anyones v6 been acting sluggish recently. my broadband has been over 350mbps and hasnt dropped. the v6 in my bedroom next to the router is perfectly fine. the v6 in the back bedroom has been really slow and same downstairs. netflix has been doing the whole "problem with this programme" and apparently mentioning router settings or something. nothing has changed though?

Try rebooting your Superhub.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36041811)
I did get a wifi booster to help with cctv cameras in my back garden but i cant imagine that hurting the wifi to the tivo boxes?

I can! Try turning it off and see if the problem goes away.

Gavin-D 22-08-2022 11:21

A new software update has gone out today, probably nothing exciting but if your box isn't on 24/7 it may update when you next power on

Mad Max 22-08-2022 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36131982)
A new software update has gone out today, probably nothing exciting but if your box isn't on 24/7 it may update when you next power on

For which box, V6?

cheekyangus 22-08-2022 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36132015)
For which box, V6?

It's a V6 thread.

Cheile48 23-08-2022 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36131982)

Haven't noticed anything changed much without looking too closely.

Mad Max 23-08-2022 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36132042)
It's a V6 thread.

:upyours:;)