Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Updated: Large Global Scale Cyber-Attack (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704880)

Mr K 13-05-2017 10:31

Re: Large Scale Cyber-Attack Hits 40 NHS Hospitals

Do you not think it handy, that all your GP/hospital records, results, x-rays, should be available to any Dr. at the click of a button? The NHS is still dependent on faxs !. The IT industry seriously let the country down again on a big project and reaped the profits.

pip08456 13-05-2017 10:44

One possible way to mitigate this type of attack would be for emails to be opened in a sandbox.

The cost for businesses to implement throughout their network could be prohibitive.

A back-up on the other hand costs a damn site less. Any Hospitals down today???

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35898656)
Do you not think it handy, that all your GP/hospital records, results, x-rays, should be available to any Dr. at the click of a button? The NHS is still dependent on faxs !. The IT industry seriously let the country down again on a big project and reaped the profits.

What planet are you on?

I go to the doctor with say a knee complaint, he sends me the the hospital for an X-ray.

When I go back to him he clicks on a button and can see the X-ray result on screen and can make a decision on treatment.

This actually happened to me and enabled me to have a knee replacement within a year!

No FAX's!

Mr K 13-05-2017 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35898657)
One possible way to mitigate this type of attack would be for emails to be opened in a sandbox.

The cost for businesses to implement throughout their network could be prohibitive.

A back-up on the other hand costs a damn site less. Any Hospitals down today???

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

What planet are you on?

I go to the doctor with say a knee complaint, he sends me the the hospital for an X-ray.

When I go back to him he clicks on a button and can see the X-ray result on screen and can make a decision on treatment.

This actually happened to me and enabled me to have a knee replacement within a year!

No FAX's!

The planet of having a wife who works in the NHS. Running out of fax toner brings the clinic to a halt.

pip08456 13-05-2017 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35898665)
The planet of having a wife who works in the NHS. Running out of fax toner brings the clinic to a halt.

Then perhaps it's a failing in the NHS Trust in your area.

But you never thought of that did you before you opened your big mouth.

You'd rather blame the NHS as a whole.

Osem 13-05-2017 12:23

Put all our eggs in one NHS basket and fax issues in a clinic extrapolated to NHS issue. What a crock of...

:rofl:

papa smurf 13-05-2017 12:51

sounds like someone disabled doctor google .

pip08456 13-05-2017 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35898681)
Put all our eggs in one NHS basket and fax issues in a clinic extrapolated to NHS issue. What a crock of...

:rofl:

I can imagine the convo when she got home.

Mr K: How was your day dear?

Mrs K: It was hell, we ran out of FAX toner catridges.

Mr. K: It's the Governments fault! Have a drink dear.

Osem 13-05-2017 16:40

Just heard that, of the 48 NHS trusts affected, all but 6 are now back up and running normally.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39909441

Thankfully not quite the paralysis and doom some predicted then but let's hope that what lessons needed to be learned have been.

MalteseFalcon 13-05-2017 16:53

My local NHS trust was hit. Disgusting attack by cowards.

Osem 13-05-2017 23:01

Quote:

A UK security researcher has told the BBC how he "accidentally" halted the spread of the malicious ransomware that has affected hundreds of organisations, including the UK's NHS.
The 22-year-old man, known by the pseudonym MalwareTech, had taken a week off work, but decided to investigate the ransomware after hearing about the global cyber-attack.
He managed to bring the spread to a halt when he found what appeared to be a "kill switch" in the rogue software's code.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39907049

pip08456 14-05-2017 01:40

Microsoft issues ‘highly unusual’ ransomware patch for XP and other old Windows versions

Matth 14-05-2017 01:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35898609)
I doubt it as it operates via a type of backdoor. Once activated it looks for any other machine vulnerable on the network and infects them. That machine then does the same so the rate of infection is expotential, thats how it's been so successful in such a short time.

All because a 2 month old security patch wasn't installed by the relevant IT departments of the companies.

From what I read, it appears that it drops a file in the Windows directory, so while lockdowns may not prevent it using the exploit to spread, they might be able to stop the payload

pip08456 14-05-2017 02:15

Apparently the spread of it has been "accidentally" stopped.

Most if not all NHS systems are back up now.

Sirius 14-05-2017 08:53

If Microsoft was not so hell bent on moving everyone to there super dupper windows 10 :rolleyes: and instead kept on updating the security of previous OS's that people paid good money for then this might not of happened so easily. The fact that they have released this patch shows they can do it.

papa smurf 14-05-2017 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35898766)
If Microsoft was not so hell bent on moving everyone to there super dupper windows 10 :rolleyes: and instead kept on updating the security of previous OS's that people paid good money for then this might not of happened so easily. The fact that they have released this patch shows they can do it.

if we didn't have progress we would just grind to a halt ,this is the governments fault for not investing in the technology not microsoft's for developing it