Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   UK Timeline : Day of the Triffids (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33642176)

Maggy 30-12-2009 01:32

Re: Day of the Triffids

Well the only two things that it had in common with the book were the triffids and the mass blinding.Apart from that it was a total rewrite.:erm:

dilli-theclaw 30-12-2009 10:11

Really? I found it very similar to what happened in the book. A lot of the same situations just told in different ways.

It does make the sequel a bit pointless now though, still a good read though.

joglynne 30-12-2009 10:25

Day of the Triffids along with Kraken Wakes and War of the Worlds and were the first 3 books that introduced me to science fiction in my teens. I was loath to watch this rendition in case it left a bad impression but have recorded both parts.

Now the question is do I watch the recordings or not? Decisions decisions. :(

Kymmy 30-12-2009 10:48

Never ever take a film or TV show as a truthful rendition of the book.. If it was then the show/movie would be a few days long...

As a programme in it's own right I'd say yes watch it, it was good TV

LSainsbury 30-12-2009 10:55

I could'nt get into this...watch the first half hour of the first episode and then switched over to something even more boring!!

Mick Fisher 30-12-2009 12:06

I quite enjoyed it. :)

joglynne 30-12-2009 14:35

Think I will give it a spin then. :D Thanks for all your opinions. :tu:

Paul 03-01-2010 22:21

Just watched part 1 tonight and loved it. :)

joglynne 04-01-2010 09:03

Watched both parts on New Years Day and really enjoyed them. I was glad we had the second part to view straight away, wouldn't have liked to have to wait in suspense. Now to go back and read the original. :)

dilli-theclaw 04-01-2010 09:18

When Natalie was here she watched the older BBC one. And preferred that, me well I liked both in different ways.

aliferste 04-01-2010 09:27

Loved the book and really enjoyed the first BBC series - this one was equally as good in its own way - I dunno - I actually liked Izzard - I thought his acting was better than a lot of these so called career actors you see on the telly - or in movies for that matter.

I did miss the original BBC music though from the original series - here was nothing more sinister than the wailing and people looking up at the green sky....oooooOOOoh - still gives me shivers that does :)

Maggy 04-01-2010 09:27

Praying that the next production of a John Wyndham novel is NOT the Midwich Cuckoos.It has been so overdone.

Even a reprise of Chocky would be welcome but I'd love them to try The Kraken Wakes or the Chrysalids.

dilli-theclaw 04-01-2010 09:33

I've just ordered all four of those on DAISY not read the midwich cuckoos before and only seen chocky on tv.