Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The budget (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712542)

jfman 09-03-2024 11:50

Re: The budget

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171734)

My inner self really hates them. Nothing in the budget to tackle the housing crisis. Rather than build more houses, they go for the soft target, such as people with second homes whose Council Tax will double in 2025 so that the wretched councils can waste even more of our money.

Yeah yeah; I can already see what some of you are thinking: most people don’t have second homes. But that’s not the point. Instead of building more houses, take them away from those who have a spare house. How Trotsky/Marx is that? From the Conservatives!

A shit budget from an even shitter government.

Nobody wants to solve the housing crisis - it's the base upon which the whole pyramid scheme is built.

TheDaddy 09-03-2024 12:50

Quote:

My inner self really hates them. Nothing in the budget to tackle the housing crisis. Rather than build more houses, they go for the soft target, such as people with second homes whose Council Tax will double in 2025 so that the wretched councils can waste even more of our money.

Yeah yeah; I can already see what some of you are thinking: most people don’t have second homes. But that’s not the point. Instead of building more houses, take them away from those who have a spare house. How Trotsky/Marx is that? From the Conservatives!

A spare house, with language as vulgar as that is it any wonder there is a housing crisis :rolleyes:

1andrew1 09-03-2024 13:19

Quote:

House-building in the richer parts of the country seems to be costing the Conservative Party votes so only natural that they try and free up second homes for regular occupation. We voted in June 2016 not to return small boat immigrants to France, so they all need to live somewhere.
https://www.politicshome.com/news/ar...lection-losses

Sephiroth 09-03-2024 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36171741)
A ≠ B

How does increasing someone’s Council Tax on a Second Home become taking the Second Home away from them?

Well, Hugh, when the Council Tax rises from say, £3,000 pa to £6,000 a lot of people will have to sell due to unavailability.

A typical case may be a previous family home with nostalgic memories. The owners would split their time between homes but the legislation makes no allowance for this.

They are bustards for doing this. The bustards should have ensured more houses would have been built.

---------- Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36171748)
A spare house, with language as vulgar as that is it any wonder there is a housing crisis :rolleyes:

The most stupid comment you have ever made.

There is a housing crisis for one singular reason: The equally stupid government has not met its promises on house building. There are subsidiary reasons such as immigration but that is a different debate with huge depth of causes.

Hugh 09-03-2024 13:30

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171750)
Well, Hugh, when the Council Tax rises from say, £3,000 pa to £6,000 a lot of people will have to sell due to unavailability.

A typical case may be a previous family home with nostalgic memories. The owners would split their time between homes but the legislation makes no allowance for this.

They are bustards for doing this. The bustards should have ensured more houses would have been built.

New definition of "a typical case" I hadn’t come across before…

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...0&d=1709990976

Look on the bright side - more Government revenue on the CGT when they sell the second home.

Sephiroth 09-03-2024 13:40

Have you anything useful to contribute to the topic?

Hugh 09-03-2024 15:11

Amusing, coming from someone who posted

Quote:

and

Quote:

Instead of building more houses, take them away from those who have a spare house.

Ms NTL 09-03-2024 16:22

Pass on the second house to one of your off-springs and if you have a second off-spring, pass your third house to that one.. This way you solve the IHT problem too.

How do you pass on the first house? that's the real problem.

Pierre 09-03-2024 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36171768)
Pass on the second house to one of your off-springs and if you have a second off-spring, pass your third house to that one.. This way you solve the IHT problem too..

I don’t think that’s entirely accurate!

Ms NTL 09-03-2024 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36171777)
I don’t think that’s entirely accurate!

7 year rule. You buy them on their name

Sephiroth 09-03-2024 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36171778)
7 year rule. You buy them on their name

But if the house is unoccupied, it still gets caught by the 100% Council Tax uplift.

Hugh 09-03-2024 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171779)
But if the house is unoccupied, it still gets caught by the 100% Council Tax uplift.

Or…

They could live in it.

Sephiroth 09-03-2024 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36171780)
Or…

They could live in it.

Why would they if it was not in a convenient location?
Didn't you think of that?

Paul 09-03-2024 21:46

If its not occupied, sell it.
Hanging onto an empty house you dont need is just nuts.

Sephiroth 09-03-2024 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36171783)
If its not occupied, sell it.
Hanging onto an empty house you dont need is just nuts.

... unless there are memories one doesn't want to give up.
A past family home, etc.