Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Would you prefer to have Sky Atlantic instead of BT Sport in Full House/XL? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705530)

RichardCoulter 18-10-2017 19:30

Re: Would you prefer to have Sky Atlantic instead of BT Sport in Full House/XL?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35920616)
I've yet to meet anyone who cares about SA.

Aside from Game of Thrones, there isnt a single programme on it I watch.

It could cease broadcasting tomorrow and no tears would be shed here.

What did you think of Westworld? When it's repeated I might sub to Now TV for it as it's the only thing that caught my eye.

Media Boy UK 18-10-2017 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35920496)
If VM were to use the money saved to meet Sky halfway or even pay the asking price and bring Sky Atlantic to the top package instead, would you prefer this?

This is Sky you are talking about.:erm:

RichardCoulter 18-10-2017 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35920501)
A no brainer, very little on sky Atlantic that I watch, whereas there are loads of rugby and football on BT sports.

Also don't forget BT Sports has the uk rights for the coming Ashes series.

Your third option - not bothered should have been both. (If you're not bothered you won't bother to vote will you?)

Well, some people don't care about having either channel. Both would be nice as it would appease everybody, even those that don't care either way, but I suspect that this would push up bills even more at a time when people are getting fed up of the constant price increases. According to the news, inflation is rising, whilst wages are stagnating too, which will put pressure onto disposable income.

If VM take off BT Sport, offer nothing extra to replace it and don't decrease the price (very unlikely as it was marketed as 'free' and prices are already set to increase) I imagine that it would result in an increase in churn.

What VM could have done is say that BT Sport is being withdrawn from Full House, but that the TV part of the bill would be frozen this year.

How would people react to throwing in Premier Sports as a replacement? Maybe this is the reason why Freesports has not (yet?) been added as they're discussing this possibility with them??

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35920719)
This is Sky you are talking about.:erm:

Aye, this is true MB.

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35920681)
I detest sport, so was livid when VM decided we ALL wanted it and put up ALL our monthly bills.

It should have been an opt-in extra.

But Sky Atlantic? Nothing on there I'd like to watch. I'd rather have a lower bill.

A think that a lot of people feel the same way, but they are only able to offer it in Full House as non sports fans are indirectly subsidising sports fans.

It would be like putting Baby TV into Full House and forcing those without children having to pay a little extra every month!

Having said that, if throwing in BT Sport with the top package attracts/retains customers or encourages them to upgrade (which this, albeit not scientific, poll suggests it does), maybe the net result is extra sports channels at no extra cost to consumers when this extra revenue is taken into account (even if they never watch BT Sport)??

tweetiepooh 19-10-2017 11:49

BT Sport is where the AFL (Aussie rules) is. I wouldn't pay extra for it. A season pass is £125. To me that's a lot just for one sport. I don't care for boxing (legalised assault).

I think there is content on BT Sport that isn't covered anywhere else without a fee and having some included sport channels is a good thing.

Content is a sensitive matter but like the license fee spreading the cost around is less per person than it would be to charge varying amounts. There will be some losers who are very focussed in their viewing but if you do watch a wider range of content but are not a die hard fan of any then a more general approach works better.

Pster72 19-10-2017 11:56

It won’t happen unless they’ve got something big up there sleeve and Sky Atlantic by itself won’t be good enough

nicknewark 19-10-2017 12:35

I did like True Detective, although the second series was rubbish, and The leftovers was great.

There is one thing about SA, it always draws a reaction. It may one day arrive on Virgin Media, but expect Sky to pull another rabbit out of the hat, with a new exclusive channel.

Maggy 19-10-2017 12:58

How about an option of No?

Raider999 19-10-2017 14:46

Whatever happens with BT Sport I do not expect to have to pay any more to get what I currently have.

So split BT Sport out and charge £20pm for it and I expect my package to go down by £20 to reflect the real value of BT Sport not the fictional "free" crap.

RichardCoulter 19-10-2017 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35920813)
How about an option of No?

Well, this is a hypothetical poll which assumes that the rumour that BT Sport is to be withdrawn from the Full House pack is true.

My interest is whether using some/all of the money saved to get Sky Atlantic (the last major channel missing VM) would appease people.

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35920802)
BT Sport is where the AFL (Aussie rules) is. I wouldn't pay extra for it. A season pass is £125. To me that's a lot just for one sport. I don't care for boxing (legalised assault).

I think there is content on BT Sport that isn't covered anywhere else without a fee and having some included sport channels is a good thing.

Content is a sensitive matter but like the license fee spreading the cost around is less per person than it would be to charge varying amounts. There will be some losers who are very focussed in their viewing but if you do watch a wider range of content but are not a die hard fan of any then a more general approach works better.

Don't VM employees get TV for free anymore (only paying tax on the net worth of the free packages)?

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicknewark (Post 35920810)
I did like True Detective, although the second series was rubbish, and The leftovers was great.

There is one thing about SA, it always draws a reaction. It may one day arrive on Virgin Media, but expect Sky to pull another rabbit out of the hat, with a new exclusive channel.

100% agree.

Maybe their USP will be to offer more 4K and deny it to VM after making SA available.

Having said that, I was recently reading that 4K hasn't been as successful as was originally assumed. Apparently, there are still many people who, despite having HD sets, still go from the beginning of the EPG's and don't bother with the HD variants!

jj20x 19-10-2017 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35920841)
Whatever happens with BT Sport I do not expect to have to pay any more to get what I currently have.

So split BT Sport out and charge £20pm for it and I expect my package to go down by £20 to reflect the real value of BT Sport not the fictional "free" crap.

But the £20 would be the price charged to a limited number of subscribers to a premium package, not the price subsidised by all XL pack viewers, whether they are interested in the content or not.

spiderplant 19-10-2017 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35920849)
Don't VM employees get TV for free anymore (only paying tax on the net worth of the free packages)?

They never have done. There is a staff discount, but it's not free.

RichardCoulter 19-10-2017 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35920863)
They never have done. There is a staff discount, but it's not free.

Oh right! I was wondering why it would matter to tweetiepooh if BT Sport left Full House as it would have still been free anyway as a standalone package, but unfortunately this wouldn't be the case.

bubblegun 20-10-2017 03:45

I'd love this to be true but I doubt it.
Liberty Global and BT are just embarking on the same type of negotiation that Discovery tried with Sky previously. One will back down and the status-quo will probably continue.

I have in the past speculated that BT would eventually make BT Sports unaffordable, for Virgin to include in their competitive packages. This could be an early step into that new future, but I don't expect it yet.

BT Fibre covers a lot of the areas where there is also Virgin BB so they may get brave and try this in the future. Eventually.

OLD BOY 20-10-2017 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblegun (Post 35920935)
I'd love this to be true but I doubt it.
Liberty Global and BT are just embarking on the same type of negotiation that Discovery tried with Sky previously. One will back down and the status-quo will probably continue.

I have in the past speculated that BT would eventually make BT Sports unaffordable, for Virgin to include in their competitive packages. This could be an early step into that new future, but I don't expect it yet.

BT Fibre covers a lot of the areas where there is also Virgin BB so they may get brave and try this in the future. Eventually.

Well, if BT decide that they will abandon the wholesale deal, maybe it won't matter because other global players could take over these matches! One possible scenario is that Amazon dips its toe into the water by going for the smaller package before deciding whether to take on Sky. We are on the cusp of the market opening up, which will ultimately bring those lower prices people are looking for.

Joedm45 20-10-2017 10:18

BT Sport for me, I get Atlantic for as little as £3-4 a month through NowTV. If BT went standalone I'm sure it'll be an absolute fortune in comparison.

The poll is effectively asking are you a sports fan or TV show fan. You'll always get a mixed response