Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704203)

Media Boy UK 21-12-2017 00:58

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Just found out that Channel 4 +1 has been added to Virgin Media Ireland.

It on Virgin Ireland Channel 161 and did launch sometime in December.

The Yank 21-12-2017 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35929628)
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. Hope you all have a great time.

you too Dave and everyone else on Cable Forum.

vincerooney 22-12-2017 10:51

Odd question- have the american talk shows ie the tonight show stopped broadcasting in the UK? I had a tivo series link on my old box and tried to reset it now i have my V6 and its not showing up.

They had both the tonight show and the late night series but they appear to now be missing

spiderplant 22-12-2017 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35929796)
Odd question- have the american talk shows ie the tonight show stopped broadcasting in the UK? I had a tivo series link on my old box and tried to reset it now i have my V6 and its not showing up.

They had both the tonight show and the late night series but they appear to now be missing

Do you mean your series links have gone missing or the just aren't recording anything?

Try Seach or a WishList to see if the programmes have moved channel

vincerooney 22-12-2017 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35929799)
Do you mean your series links have gone missing or the just aren't recording anything?

Try Seach or a WishList to see if the programmes have moved channel

Aye i mean it appears i cant add the series anymore to record as it doesnt appear to be on british tv anymore

ozsat 22-12-2017 15:18

The Tonight Show was on E! in the UK - but they stopped showing it in October. Nobody else has picked it up.
Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35929796)

fox35 22-12-2017 18:58

Have you searched for Late Night With Seth Meyers on CNBC ?
Although it appears to be only broadcast at weekends in the UK.

RichardCoulter 23-12-2017 02:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35929540)
RTE News Now to close:

https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36393796.html

I'm assuming that this is on VM Ireland and/or VM in NI.

As usual they're blaming a lack of money, but RTE is appallingly mismanaged from my dealings with them.

Will VM be creating a news channel to replace this?

A few years ago, just before the Irish version of Freeview started (Saorview), TV3 (which of course Malone now owns) wanted to open a news and a childrens channel, but scrapped the idea because the carriage costs were too high.

In February 2016 the Irish Times reported that Malone said he was going to open three Irish channels in the genres of news, children and sport.

He's invested heavily in Ireland in property and land, not just television and intends to retire there.

---------- Post added at 02:57 ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 ----------

Re: The rebranding of his existing Irish channels, apparently, VM are awaiting the results from marketing and media consultancies before making any decision.

SonicMaster 23-12-2017 11:28

Episode 7 "A Gay Olde Christmas" from the new season of Will & Grace is now available on Virgin Media as a special preview ahead of the new season on Channel 5 from 5th Jan.

Mad Max 23-12-2017 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35929871)
Episode 7 "A Gay Olde Christmas" from the new season of Will & Grace is now available on Virgin Media as a special preview ahead of the new season on Channel 5 from 5th Jan.

Brilliant :rolleyes:

OLD BOY 23-12-2017 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35929853)

A few years ago, just before the Irish version of Freeview started (Saorview), TV3 (which of course Malone now owns) wanted to open a news and a childrens channel, but scrapped the idea because the carriage costs were too high.

In February 2016 the Irish Times reported that Malone said he was going to open three Irish channels in the genres of news, children and sport.

He's invested heavily in Ireland in property and land, not just television and intends to retire there.

---------- Post added at 02:57 ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 ----------

Re: The rebranding of his existing Irish channels, apparently, VM are awaiting the results from marketing and media consultancies before making any decision.

To be honest, I doubt very much that VM would establish its own news channel. They are expensive to run (I believe Sky News operates at a loss) and in any case goes against his philosophy of not owning content but taking it from other providers.

Of course, people do often change their principles when it comes to their own personal interests, so maybe if he is retiring in Ireland, he will make an exception in this case!

Don't hold your breath though, Richard, I think the odds are against it!

Mad Max 23-12-2017 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35929907)
To be honest, I doubt very much that VM would establish its own news channel. They are expensive to run (I believe Sky News operates at a loss) and in any case goes against his philosophy of not owning content but taking it from other providers.

Of course, people do often change their principles when it comes to their own personal interests, so maybe if he is retiring in Ireland, he will make an exception in this case!

Don't hold your breath though, Richard, I think the odds are against it!

spot on, OB

RichardCoulter 24-12-2017 01:42

Well, it's what Malone said in an interview; whether it comes to fruition or not is another matter.

---------- Post added at 01:42 ---------- Previous post was at 00:52 ----------

Is BBC Alba on channel 188 in Scotland?

It's on 161 on my box, but after tonight's rugby it said Freeview 7, VM 188, Sky 142, Freesat 109 :confused:

jj20x 24-12-2017 02:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35929853)

It would be difficult for any broadcaster to make a rolling news service attractive in Ireland. I suppose they could take more filler items from international news rather than items such as the fire service rescuing a cat stuck in a tree in Cork. Then again, RTE could have done that too.

spiderplant 24-12-2017 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35929922)
Is BBC Alba on channel 188 in Scotland?

It's on 161 on my box, but after tonight's rugby it said Freeview 7, VM 188, Sky 142, Freesat 109 :confused:

Someone is using out-of-date info. It used to be on 188.