Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Boris Johnson (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706701)

Damien 13-08-2018 10:00

Re: Boris Johnson

I hope the Tories see sense and go for some like Gove over Boris. The former has a proven track record of competence in government departments, unlike Boris, and is less of a extravagant attention seeker. It also seems like Gove did us all a favor when he identified Boris' inability to take things seriously so ran against him last time.

ianch99 13-08-2018 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35959240)
I hope the Tories see sense and go for some like Gove over Boris. The former has a proven track record of competence in government departments, unlike Boris, and is less of a extravagant attention seeker. It also seems like Gove did us all a favor when he identified Boris' inability to take things seriously so ran against him last time.

I doubt the teachers (and many parents) would agree with you. Gove is hated within the teaching profession for what he did there while in charge.

daveeb 13-08-2018 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35959247)
I doubt the teachers (and many parents) would agree with you. Gove is hated within the teaching profession for what he did there while in charge.

Agreed, my wife is a teacher and she's still feeling the effects of his meddling with the National Curriculum...roman numerals and being able to name wild flowers etc for five year olds. He also said if teachers aren't really stressed then the head teacher must be doing something wrong. The man is a complete joke. :mad:

denphone 13-08-2018 12:41

Quote:

He has quite a lot in common with Marcus Junius Brutus the Younger.;)

Damien 13-08-2018 12:48

Quote:

He has a better record at Justice and Environment where he generally has a better reputation.

Maggy 13-08-2018 15:37

No Gove was useless in Education..Not one of my old colleagues has a good word for him. He basically privatised education through the academies..

Julian 13-08-2018 17:42

The Education Secretary from 1970-1974 was unpopular with some yet went on to be PM for many years ;)

Pierre 13-08-2018 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35959290)
No Gove was useless in Education..Not one of my old colleagues has a good word for him. He basically privatised education through the academies..

Academies are, in the whole, doing very well.

Mr K 13-08-2018 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35959240)

I think the Tories will rip themselves apart and self destruct as usual... Always very entertaining :). P.S. I do hate to be pedantic but I hate American spellings. We're British and proud. It's 'favour'.

denphone 13-08-2018 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35959331)
I think the Tories will rip themselves apart and self destruct as usual... Always very entertaining :). P.S. I do hate to be pedantic but I hate American spellings. We're British and proud. It's 'favour'.

Both parties are doing a very good job of that with Jezza the sympathiser again in the news today and with some Conservatives highlighting the underbelly of Islamophobia which is pretty endemic in Tory political ranks..

1andrew1 13-08-2018 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35959320)

Academies do not perform better than maintained schools.
https://schoolsweek.co.uk/epi-report...tant-findings/

Maggy 13-08-2018 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35959350)
Academies do not perform better than maintained schools.
https://schoolsweek.co.uk/epi-report...tant-findings/

Exactly!

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35959320)

If you mean that the organisations running them are paying themselves very well and are making profit at the expense of the pupils then you are right.

ianch99 14-08-2018 13:07

Here's a very revealing interview with Boris. He does not come across PM material to me, maybe others will disagree?

Mick 14-08-2018 13:45

Define what makes a good Prime Minister... ?

Tony Blair - former PM - Liar and chief when it came to WMD and the Iraq war.

Gordon Brown - Former PM - Sold Gold at rock bottom prices.

John Major - Former PM - Famous for Black Wednesday financial crisis, exit from ERM, billions wasted - almost resigned as PM.

David Cameron - Former PM - Failed to properly prepare the UK for possible departure from the EU, resigned when he said he would be around to enact the result of the EU Referendum, leave was never expected to win.

So what makes a good PM, because the last few, including the current one, over the last few decades, were/are not up to scratch IMO.

Mr K 14-08-2018 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35959430)
Define what makes a good Prime Minister... ?

Tony Blair - former PM - Liar and chief when it came to WMD and the Iraq war.

Gordon Brown - Former PM - Sold Gold at rock bottom prices.

John Major - Former PM - Famous for Black Wednesday financial crisis, exit from ERM, billions wasted - almost resigned as PM.

David Cameron - Former PM - Failed to properly prepare the UK for possible departure from the EU, resigned when he said he would be around to enact the result of the EU Referendum, leave was never expected to win.

So what makes a good PM, because the last few, including the current one, over the last few decades, were/are not up to scratch IMO.

So who do you rate to be a good PM Mick ?