Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Las Vegas: Mass shooting in Mandalay Bay (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705462)

Mick 02-10-2017 13:45

Re: Las Vegas: Mass shooting in Mandalay Bay shooting

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35918736)
I sincerely hope that this tragedy will cause a re-think of gun laws in the same way Dunblane did here in the UK.

I read this on the BBC report and was appalled:

The sad thing is, it won't. Obama tried and was defeated at every turn. The NRA, is a powerful gun lobby in America and they endorsed Trump.

Americans cherish the 2nd Amendment, right to bear arms like we do fresh air. But it is absolutely crazy how they can buy assault rifles and ammunition that would suit a small army.

But for goodness sake let them keep their 2nd Amendment but ban automatic assault rifles.

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

They are saying on news latest police update, the gunman had 8 guns. :erm:

denphone 02-10-2017 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35918748)

They are saying on news latest police update, the gunman had 8 guns. :erm:

You would have thought there would be some system which flags it up when any citizen has a abnormal amounts of guns as l find it staggering how one individual can get his hands on 8 guns..

Osem 02-10-2017 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35918757)
You would have thought there would be some system which flags it up when any citizen has a abnormal amounts of guns as l find it staggering how one individual can get his hands on 8 guns..

The trouble is there are very different laws on gun ownership in different states. I believe Nevada's are some of the most lax in the US.

Mick 02-10-2017 14:01

Correction, he had 10 rifles. TEN! Absolute crazy.

adzii_nufc 02-10-2017 14:18

Re: Las Vegas: Mass shooting in Mandalay Bay

But he needed those 10 rifles to defend himself from a small army attacking his home. Plus, allowing people to bear arms stops things like this from happening!? :confused:

The NRA horse crap over the next few days will be as useless as always.

Osem 02-10-2017 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35918761)
Correction, he had 10 rifles. TEN! Absolute crazy.

You only have to watch some of those cable TV channels which show programmes about shooting, gun makers etc. in the US to see what sort of weapons some of these people go for and even have custom made. They'll argue it's all perfectly safe and for leisure only but they have access to some seriously deadly stuff and I don't see how anyone who can obtain such weapons (legally or otherwise) in one state can be prevented from taking them off to any other. :shrug:

I don't buy the "I've got a bigger gun than you" school of deterrents, all that happens is people buy more of them which is exactly what the makers and NRA want.

Damien 02-10-2017 14:33

They didn't go anything when dozens of young children were shot at Sandy Hook, they won't do anything now.

Osem 02-10-2017 14:53

About the gunman:

Quote:

"We have no idea what his belief system was. Right now, we believe he was the sole aggressor and the scene is static," Sheriff Lombardo said, adding that the attack was not related to terrorism.

He described the suspect as a "distraught person intending to cause mass casualties", adding that he killed himself as police approached the hotel room.

He had no prior "derogatory" interactions with police, said Sheriff Lombardo, except for one citation several years ago which the sheriff declined to describe.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41472462

TheDaddy 02-10-2017 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35918763)
But he needed those 10 rifles to defend himself from a small army attacking his home. Plus, allowing people to bear arms stops things like this from happening!? :confused:

The NRA horse crap over the next few days will be as useless as always.

They'll say more guns is the answer, if more people were armed they could have defended themselves, they said the same about the cinema massacre because everyone blasting away in the dark can only decrease the death toll

denphone 02-10-2017 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35918738)
50 people are now confirmed dead, the deadliest mass shooting in US history.

Sadly its 58 people confirmed dead now.

Maggy 02-10-2017 16:47

Quote:

So-called Islamic State later claimed to be behind the attack, saying that Paddock had converted to Islam some months ago.

We will see..but I have serious doubts.

Osem 02-10-2017 16:48

You have to wonder what sort of person, no matter how distraught, could just mow down complete strangers - men, women, children, young, old etc. etc. :confused:

denphone 02-10-2017 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35918787)

We will see..but I have serious doubts.

l have to agree with you as l have serious doubts about those claims.

Hom3r 02-10-2017 17:59

Sorry but I fed up of these stories from the US overtaking our radio/TV programs.

I'll explain

:rant:I have a soon to be ex-friend on facebook, who says Guns protect againts guns. I'm going to say to her, so the 500+ people who where killed/shot at are to blame as they weren't armed to protect themselves then?

Assult rifles have one and only one purpose, and that is to kill, and that is on a battlefield, and has no place for non-military purpose.

Why isn't it being treated as a terrorist attack, is it beacuse he is white?0

We need to ban any NRA members from entry into the UK and treat the NRA as a terrorist group.

I would fell safer walking in NK with a US flag on my back with death to Kim, than going to the US ATM.

:rant:

Damien 02-10-2017 18:02

To be a terrorist attack it would have to have had some sort of ideological component, either political or religious, we don’t know his motivations yet.