Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   New SkyQ packages (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703469)

Paul 21-08-2016 16:48

Re: New SkyQ packages

Why does Sky Q need a new dish ?

I dont recall that mentioned anywhere on the site.

Bob 21-08-2016 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35855059)

Quite. I have read various things online which suggested that it was a straight forward upgrade and that Sky had been prepping for it since last summer :)

muppetman11 21-08-2016 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35855059)

It doesn't it requires a new wideband lnb or you can ask for a hybrid lnb if you have existing freesat equipment.

martyh 21-08-2016 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35855062)
It doesn't it requires a new wideband lnb or you can ask for a hybrid lnb if you have existing freesat equipment.

some cabling may need changing as well if it's too old as mine did yesterday .Even though the test the engineer did passed the cable the actual box said no sat signal until a new cable was installed

muppetman11 21-08-2016 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35855069)
some cabling may need changing as well if it's too old as mine did yesterday .Even though the test the engineer did passed the cable the actual box said no sat signal until a new cable was installed

Agreed usually the Installer will check the condition of your existing dish and cabling , mine just required an lnb switch.

martyh 21-08-2016 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35855077)
Agreed usually the Installer will check the condition of your existing dish and cabling , mine just required an lnb switch.

you'd think wouldn't you :D

muppetman11 21-08-2016 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35855079)
you'd think wouldn't you :D

In an ideal world in which all installers had the same work standards.:D

martyh 21-08-2016 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35855081)

I am trying to go easy on my installer as i had a fully working sky+ service and i suppose certain assumptions could be made but i am not an engineer and do not know how sensitive the new system is to dodgy signals or settings on the HDMI ports

S_james 21-08-2016 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35855084)
I am trying to go easy on my installer as i had a fully working sky+ service and i suppose certain assumptions could be made but i am not an engineer and do not know how sensitive the new system is to dodgy signals or settings on the HDMI ports

Don't for get your "fully working" sky+ service had over 10 year development behind it. It did not start out the service you had. Go look through the history of TiVo on Virginmedia it did not start well , same for YouView.

SkyQ will get there, and it will get there because users like you give feedback on public forums,

jb66 21-08-2016 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35855081)

And tools and time

martyh 21-08-2016 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_james (Post 35855087)
Don't for get your "fully working" sky+ service had over 10 year development behind it. It did not start out the service you had. Go look through the history of TiVo on Virginmedia it did not start well , same for YouView.

SkyQ will get there, and it will get there because users like you give feedback on public forums,

That's a good point ,essentially the few thousand punters that have taken Q are essentially beta testers for the first 12 months which i have no issues with and up to now the Q seems superior to the sky + in every way