Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Virgin Media prices are going up again... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705209)

Mr K 29-08-2017 20:57

Re: Virgin Media prices are going up again...

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35914438)
From the T's&C's:
"If we and/or Virgin Media Payments increase our monthly charges under this agreement
you may cancel this agreement without penalty by giving us and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) at least 30 days' notice. The notice of termination must be given within 30 days of the increase in charges or changes to this agreement being notified to you.If you were not notified of these changes in advance, you must give notice of cancellation of the services affected to us and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) within 30 days of receipt of your first bill following such increase in charges."

So what VM are saying is there's a chance they won't notify all customers, and if you don't notice it on your bill then tough titty? Is this a new addition to the T&C's, seems very suspect.

BenMcr 29-08-2017 22:48

That term has always been there, and Virgin Media will always send out some form of price change notification where it affects a customer to the registered contact details.

However there many factors that can mean that a customer doesn't see the notification. From people not reading what Virgin Media sent, to not ensuring Virgin Media have the correct email or contact postal address, to the postal service losing the post, or an email ending up in SPAM folder.

So it's a prompt to say that people should also check their bills and speak to Virgin Media if there is change they want to query.

spiderplant 29-08-2017 22:55

Here's a reference to it 5 years ago
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...05&postcount=3

denphone 04-09-2017 14:40

Just received the price rise email this morning stating.

Quote:

Our prices are going up on 1st November But your bill won't change until your offer ends.
Quote:

As you're currently enjoying a special offer, these changes won't affect you right away. But when your offer ends, you'll start paying the full price for your package - and this will be going up by an extra £3.99 a month.

bubblegun 08-09-2017 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 35914426)
I am paid up to January with my years subscription so should be ok till then

Probably not. You'll find money you've paid up-front (apart from telephone line rental) will run out a bit sooner so you'll likely get a bill earlier than expected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35914494)
That term has always been there, and Virgin Media will always send out some form of price change notification where it affects a customer to the registered contact details.

However there many factors that can mean that a customer doesn't see the notification. From people not reading what Virgin Media sent, to not ensuring Virgin Media have the correct email or contact postal address, to the postal service losing the post, or an email ending up in SPAM folder.

So it's a prompt to say that people should also check their bills and speak to Virgin Media if there is change they want to query.

So, technically, customers have at least 60 days to cancel in these price rise circumstances since they should be notified at least 30 days before the first bill with a price rise included in it and then have another 30/31 days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35915208)

Cancel Now!!!

They're trying to trick you!

I'm just kidding, but they are..

Gary L 10-09-2017 22:07

Are these constant price rises due to people on benefits not being able to afford the packages no more so they're making other customers fill the big gap like I predicted would happen?

jb66 11-09-2017 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35916016)
Are these constant price rises due to people on benefits not being able to afford the packages no more so they're making other customers fill the big gap like I predicted would happen?

There are other providers. If someone can't afford virgin they can move to talktalk

pip08456 11-09-2017 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35916027)
There are other providers. If someone can't afford virgin they can move to talktalk

I think that's the point Gary is making.

Coffeeguy 11-09-2017 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35912867)
Still waiting for the letter/email to arrive guessing it will be within the next 2 weeks in order to meet the end of September deadline to cancel

Is everyone only getting till the end of September to cancel? I had the letter delivered earlier today and it reads:

Quote:

We hope you want to carry on enjoying all this with us. But if not, don't worry - you can change or cancel your package at any time before 31st October 2017 without paying any cancellation charges.
Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35915208)

Wording on my letter reads:

Quote:

From 1st November, your bill will be going up by £2.99 a month

Gary L 11-09-2017 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35916031)
I think that's the point Gary is making.

Yeh. obviously they have and are losing a lot of money from these kind of people. multiplied by I imagine thousands. so a big drop in revenue.

trying to claw some of it back by around £36 multiplied by how many millions?

Aye Up 16-09-2017 14:11

I had a bit of a whinge and the lad in retentions put it off till my contract ends in March, which I'm more than happy with.

Gavin-D 17-09-2017 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffeeguy (Post 35916101)
Is everyone only getting till the end of September to cancel? I had the letter delivered earlier today and it reads:

Wording on my letter reads:

Extra 4 weeks to cover those who's letters may get lost in the post or emails that end up in spam/junk folders

RobboEdin 17-09-2017 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35916854)
Extra 4 weeks to cover those who's letters may get lost in the post or emails that end up in spam/junk folders

No no no. The date in your letter is your date. There are two dates dependent on where you are in the billing cycle.

Gavin-D 17-09-2017 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35916863)
No no no. The date in your letter is your date. There are two dates dependent on where you are in the billing cycle.

T's&C's:

Quote:

If we and/or Virgin Media Payments increase our monthly charges under this agreement you may cancel this agreement without penalty by giving us and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) at least 30 days' notice.

The notice of termination must be given within 30 days of the increase in charges or changes to this agreement being notified to you.

If you were not notified of these changes in advance, you must give notice of cancellation of the services affected to us and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) within 30 days of receipt of your first bill following such increase in charges.

Arthurgray50@blu 18-09-2017 18:49

We received our increase letter today - £3.99 per month increase.

They can shove it. I have said before, how can they justify the increase. They cannot.

There has been NO increase in channels. This will be the FOURTH increase in a matter of 18 months.

Dave42 18-09-2017 19:01

got my email get price rise after the offer deal I'm on is done

Chad 18-09-2017 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35917013)
There has been NO increase in channels. This will be the FOURTH increase in a matter of 18 months.

There have been a few additions. Whether they represent good value for money, I'll let you be the judge.

Cartoon Network HD
4Seven HD
Kix Power
Quest Red
Talking Pictures TV
Blaze
Sony Movie Channel
Spike

2pence 18-09-2017 21:28

I've been sent a letter in July, saying there will be an increase of £2.99/month on top of the £47.25 I already pay for VIVID 300. Last month I upgraded to VIVID 350 so the new charge is £48/month now. Interestingly enough, I was promised by two VM Chat reps that their price rise should not affect me on 1st Nov as I recently upgraded to VIVID 350.

pip08456 18-09-2017 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2pence (Post 35917025)
I've been sent a letter in July, saying there will be an increase of £2.99/month on top of the £47.25 I already pay for VIVID 300. Last month I upgraded to VIVID 350 so the new charge is £48/month now. Interestingly enough, I was promised by two VM Chat reps that their price rise should not affect me on 1st Nov as I recently upgraded to VIVID 350.

You are now on a new contract, they have to contact you again if they wish to increase the price. The previous letter is only binworthy.

JPAC 19-09-2017 10:49

Well after three attempts to get a new reasonable deal, "oh the manager is on a meeting" etc, I've quit VM. No discounts, their best offer is twice what I'm paying now. Every call had a worse offer and the last one saying previous offers were "not possible or available, that offer has ended".

broadbandking 20-09-2017 18:59

My dad received his increase of £3.99 he is an OAP and is paying over £70 a month now this is just stupid.

JPAC 21-09-2017 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 35917256)
My dad received his increase of £3.99 he is an OAP and is paying over £70 a month now this is just stupid.

Have you gone through the farce of talking to VM? The retention's mob are useless now and to quote from my last chat with them; "I don't look at any discounts". I suspect VM's churn rate this year will at an all time high.

Ignitionnet 21-09-2017 11:13

Quote:

I don't think VM do age-dependent pricing.

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35917013)
We received our increase letter today - £3.99 per month increase.

They can shove it. I have said before, how can they justify the increase. They cannot.

That seems an excessive number of price increases in an 18 month period. I wasn't aware there were so many.

They can justify some increases though because of inflation and cost of providing services. Unless you're happy for VM staff to have indefinite pay freezes and VM to not invest in newer technology due to cost prices have to go up occasionally.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPAC (Post 35917327)
Have you gone through the farce of talking to VM? The retention's mob are useless now and to quote from my last chat with them; "I don't look at any discounts". I suspect VM's churn rate this year will at an all time high.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Increasing ARPU and profitability would be a good thing for them and due to Lightning they may not be as concerned by churn as previously.

JPAC 21-09-2017 11:34

It's not just the increases, they'll all way above inflation. I too am on, CPI linked pension, wished that would go up like VM bills have.

ARPU, that's the acronym I was looking for. However it's known that it costs from 5 to 25 times as much to acquire new customers as to retain existing ones, so it'll cost VM in the end. Source: Harvard Business Review.

Wish VM would give them a bigger room, I can hear the CSA next to them better to the one I'm dealing with.

Just had a call from VM on 0800 408 9340, Googled it and it's VM marketing.

1701-e 21-09-2017 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35917329)

I alaways ring when my parents get a price increase letter and they always give them something... this time they've waived the £3.99 increase until the end of May next year.

Last year I got a price reduction with a BB speed increase which I didn't ask for!!

I think there is a lot to be said in how customer speak to CS staff- I can honestly say that in 90% of calls I make I always get a result of sorts and nearly always good people....

(Thanks Eddie for sorting my £3.99 discount for 6 months!)

RobboEdin 21-09-2017 13:51

I've always found Retentions to be reasonable if you are reasonable in return and not having unreasonable expectations on price.
With my current small £4 loyalty discount ending and the £3.99 increase coming, a quick call and same price as today agreed.
Thanks, Elizabeth, in Bellshill.

OLD BOY 21-09-2017 17:03

Quote:

So why is he paying it, then? It must be worth it, or he would find an alternative means of finding his entertainment.

For example:

Freeview channels through an aerial, or if not available, through TV Player = Free
Now TV Movies and Entertainment Packs =£17.99
Amazon =£ 5.99
Netflix =£ 7.49

TOTAL= £31.47

That would give him all the terrestrial channels, Sky 1, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, Sky Arts and Sky Cinema, ITV Encore and the huge library of Netflix and Amazon Prime material. A saving of £40 or so per month.

Of course, there are other permutations, but my point is that your dad doesn't have to pay all that money every month if he doesn't want to, and he should still be able to view the material he wants to see.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPAC (Post 35917327)

Maybe they think that giving out all these discounts are counter productive. I think we should all be paying the same for our services. It was Sky that started this nonsense.

JPAC 21-09-2017 18:39

Both these companies, VM and sky rely on British apathy. People take out movie and sports packages etc and they forget and just pay out for stuff they don't watch or use, year after year.

btw since calling VM and being assured that I've been removed from VM's marketing and that it was 'instant' no more calls, I've received more from 08004089340, four so far today, roughly every two hours from 11am this morning. More VM lies.

Don't forget the November 10+% price increase on your calculations, and change of package = loss of discounts.

Arthurgray50@blu 29-09-2017 20:11

Can anyone explain why there is a difference in prices. One member has said that he cost has gone up by 2.99. But mine has gone up by 3.99.

In the past 18 months VM have increased three times. So how can they justify this. It appears VM just takes customers as a bottomless pit.

I knew there was something funny. As in Hounslow today. VM sales reps where in the High Street. And not outside ASDA, where they normally are. With no one there.

Sirius 30-09-2017 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35918449)
Can anyone explain why there is a difference in prices. One member has said that he cost has gone up by 2.99. But mine has gone up by 3.99.

In the past 18 months VM have increased three times. So how can they justify this. It appears VM just takes customers as a bottomless pit.

I knew there was something funny. As in Hounslow today. VM sales reps where in the High Street. And not outside ASDA, where they normally are. With no one there.

So did you check with the other person that you both have the same packages, broadband speed and phone package. If they are different then that is why there is a difference in prices, its not rocket science :shocked:

RichardCoulter 30-09-2017 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35917329)

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

That seems an excessive number of price increases in an 18 month period. I wasn't aware there were so many.

They can justify some increases though because of inflation and cost of providing services. Unless you're happy for VM staff to have indefinite pay freezes and VM to not invest in newer technology due to cost prices have to go up occasionally.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Not necessarily a bad thing. Increasing ARPU and profitability would be a good thing for them and due to Lightning they may not be as concerned by churn as previously.

There are many, many people who have had to manage with a pay freeze for years and years, whilst bills keep going up.

In fact, some working people and some reliant on benefits have had a reduction in income.

Ignitionnet 30-09-2017 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917387)
So why is he paying it, then? It must be worth it, or he would find an alternative means of finding his entertainment.

For example:

Freeview channels through an aerial, or if not available, through TV Player = Free
Amazon =£ 5.99
Netflix =£ 7.49

TOTAL= £31.47

That would give him all the terrestrial channels, Sky 1, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, Sky Arts and Sky Cinema, ITV Encore and the huge library of Netflix and Amazon Prime material. A saving of £40 or so per month.

Looks good. How exactly is the man going to access that without a broadband connection though?

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35918494)
There are many, many people who have had to manage with a pay freeze for years and years, whilst bills keep going up.

Indeed there are. There are many others who haven't. Should VM's suppliers be providing them equipment free of charge too? The past couple of years have been really expensive on the capital expenditure.

RichardCoulter 30-09-2017 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35918495)
Looks good. How exactly is the man going to access that without a broadband connection though?

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Indeed there are. There are many others who haven't. Should VM's suppliers be providing them equipment free of charge too? The past couple of years have been really expensive on the capital expenditure.

I'm toying with the idea of going down this route and using Plusnet for internet.

Ignitionnet 30-09-2017 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35918449)
Can anyone explain why there is a difference in prices.

Looks like it's been done. Can you explain why you're still a VM customer given how unhappy you are and have been for years looking at your posts?

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35918497)
I'm flying with the idea of going down this route and using Plusher for internet.

I'd consider also looking into replacement autocorrect ;)

RichardCoulter 30-09-2017 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917387)

For example:

Amazon =£ 5.99
Netflix =£ 7.49

TOTAL= £31.47

Of course, there are other permutations, but my point is that your dad doesn't have to pay all that money every month if he doesn't want to, and he should still be able to view the material he wants to see.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Maybe they think that giving out all these discounts are counter productive. I think we should all be paying the same for our services. It was Sky that started this nonsense.

When I was with Sky the only reduction they gave was for paying a year in advance! Sky started to try to limit discounts last year and found churn going up and profits going down.

It's better to make a reduced profit than none at all for those unable/unwilling to pay the full price.

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35918498)
Looks like it's been done. Can you explain why you're still a VM customer given how unhappy you are and have been for years looking at your posts?

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

I'd consider also looking into replacement autocorrect ;)

You were too quick :D. I've turned it off as it was creating more errors instead of less.

It would be interesting to find out how many customers actually want these constant increases to speeds that need new equipment.

I wasn't bothered about mine being doubled, not that it's made any difference.

Ignitionnet 30-09-2017 17:49

It's not really the speed increases that have required the new equipment, it's the increase in usage per customer. That's something that can't be avoided by holding tiers down.

RichardCoulter 04-10-2017 13:52

After ringing to complain about this, a member of staff was rude to me.

They are going to deal with him and his attitude and i've been given next month for free by way of an apology. The £3.99 per month price increase won't now apply to myself for six months either (no new contract).

At that point we will revisit the situation and can cancel with no penalty if no agreement can be reached.

Hugh 04-10-2017 13:53

In what way were they rude to you?

RichardCoulter 05-10-2017 14:14

He outright refused to supply information to me in a specified format, even though I stated that this was a formal disability access request. He then refused to escalate this to a manager or instigate the formal complaints procedure when instructed to.

On top of this his whole tone/attitude was disrespectful and unhelpful.

After listening to a recording of the call, VM have apologised profusely and are to provide him with appropriate training and discipline him, so I have agreed to settle this informally and accepted their gestures of goodwill on this occasion.

pip08456 05-10-2017 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35919137)
He outright refused to supply information to me in a specified format, even though I stated that this was a formal disability access request. He then refused to escalate this to a manager or instigate the formal complaints procedure when instructed to.

After listening to a recording of the call, VM have apologised profusely and are to provide him with appropriate training and discipline him, so I have agreed to settle this informally and accepted their gestures of goodwill on this occasion.

I suppose the gesture of goodwill is a price reduction as usual.

Hugh 05-10-2017 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35919137)

Thank you for the clarification - much appreciated.

Can I ask what format you requested the information in?

RichardCoulter 05-10-2017 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35919138)
I suppose the gesture of goodwill is a price reduction as usual.

Yes, as per post #137.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35919142)
Thank you for the clarification - much appreciated.

Can I ask what format you requested the information in?

Via a letter or email as opposed to verbally- the youth simply could not be bothered and developed an attitude when facts were spelled out to him. They think that they're invincible at that age and that disability won't ever affect them or their loved ones.

Edit: Ofcom were made aware of this treatment of the disabled; i've just received an email from them to say that they are going to tighten up the requirements for companies to treat disabled and vulnerable customers properly, particularly with regards to complaints, billing and debt collection.

This will apply to telephone and broadband, but curiously not TV!

RichardCoulter 06-10-2017 16:51

As stated above, I have been cushioned from the further increase to prices, so will no longer be leaving for at least 6 months.

Thought I'd post my findings for those not so fortunate. My research showed the best deal for standard broadband/phone is EE.

The broadband in the package is 'free', but still cheap after paying the line rental. It's an 18 month contract and you can either pay £300 upfront or you can pay £18.50 a month.

Once signed up, you can claim a prepaid MasterCard with £100 on it for you to spend as you wish.

Taking this into account, broadband/line rental works out at a fantastic £200 for a year or £11 per month!

https://shop.ee.co.uk/broadband/ee-r...tsrc=Affiliate

JPAC 07-10-2017 08:24

Price changes again?; https://www.choose.co.uk/deals/virgi...ost-speed.html

Inactive Digital 07-10-2017 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPAC (Post 35919337)

Only for new customers.

RichardCoulter 07-10-2017 20:29

So, they expect to lose customers by increasing bills again by between £1.99 to £3.99, so are trying to entice new customers by discounting a sum of £6!!!

Sirius 08-10-2017 05:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35919410)
So, they expect to lose customers by increasing bills again by between £1.99 to £3.99, so are trying to entice new customers by discounting a sum of £6!!!

It looks to me like they are referencing the earlier price rise and not a new one ?

Inactive Digital 08-10-2017 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35919410)

Churn is around 10-15 per cent, so let's say they expect to lose 1 in 8 existing customers each year. If they sign up an equal number of new customers at the new discount, they are still quids in with 7 in 8 customers potentially* paying increased bills.
* Obviously retention deals play a part here, so it's very unscientific!

OLD BOY 09-10-2017 14:12

Yes, I think it's the retention deals that are losing them money. Sky started this off, I think, and the whole thing has got out of hand.

If they stuck to one price for everyone, and Sky did the same, I'm sure their revenue would increase.

denphone 09-10-2017 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35919551)
Yes, I think it's the retention deals that are losing them money. Sky started this off, I think, and the whole thing has got out of hand.

If they stuck to one price for everyone, and Sky did the same, I'm sure their revenue would increase.

So much for your free market economics as that would be classed as a cartel OB in what you are suggesting?.

JPAC 09-10-2017 18:16

VM flash sale; https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...broadband.html

Kushan 10-10-2017 16:06

Quote:

All it would take is one provider out of the tens out there to undercut and everyone would flock to them.

spiderplant 10-10-2017 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35919703)
All it would take is one provider out of the tens out there to undercut and everyone would flock to them.

Don't TalkTalk do that? I don't see people flocking to them.

Kushan 10-10-2017 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35919704)

That's because there's plenty of competition and plenty of offers on from different providers. If they all (bar TalkTalk) agreed a fixed price, then people would move to TalkTalk.

denphone 10-10-2017 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35919704)

Virgin might have its critics but many would not touch Talk Talk with a bargepole at the end of the day even if they were cheaper.

daveeb 10-10-2017 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35910905)
It's a bit early for formal notification - it's the first week of August and the price rise isn't until 1st November, that's almost three months away.

Has anybody NOT had a price rise notification yet (apart from me) ?

richard s 11-10-2017 19:37

Would it not be a good idea if you could switch entertainment providers just like changing energy companies... I wonder if this would be feasible.

BenMcr 11-10-2017 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35919880)
Would it not be a good idea if you could switch entertainment providers just like changing energy companies... I wonder if this would be feasible.

It's not really the same. Generally for gas and electricity, where the supply comes to your home and the infrastructure in your home is exactly the same. That's not true of any broadband provider - even if the 'last mile' shared for BT based providers.

There was a project from BBC, ITV and Channel 4 to share a technology platform for content. It was blocked by the competition commission https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_(video_on_demand)

RichardCoulter 12-10-2017 01:55

Quote:

Sky tried to bring discounting to an end in early 2016, but had to abandon it.

It's better to retain/attract customers who can't or won't pay the full price and make less profit than losing them altogether, plus it costs VM less to discount and keep someone than processing the effects of churn.

jfman 12-10-2017 11:11

The key for Sky is that their costs are generally "fixed" in terms of TV. That is to say the cost to them to provide the service to say 1m extra customers in retentions is small. The extra cost is only that paid to third parties for content and we know that is small.

Phone and broadband on the other hand has infrastructure costs.

Virgin the opposite is true - extra subs results in more money out to Sky/BT/others for content.

noel43 12-10-2017 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35919732)
Has anybody NOT had a price rise notification yet (apart from me) ?

I have not had notification, so I rang up about it, was told I am not getting an increase. Have Full House, 200meg BB. Phone.

heero_yuy 12-10-2017 17:42

Ours turned up today: From November.

Got the TV XL pack but we hardly use it and the land line is a rip-off so it looks like a call to retentions is in order.

daveeb 12-10-2017 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35919967)
Ours turned up today: From November.

Got the TV XL pack but we hardly use it and the land line is a rip-off so it looks like a call to retentions is in order.

Mine finally came today a rise of £3.99, coincides with losing a £4 and £3 discount over the last couple of months so a total of £11. We have 100 MB BB, XL tv and free w/e landline (big kahuna i think). I think i'll be on to retentions as well.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by noel43 (Post 35919964)
I have not had notification, so I rang up about it, was told I am not getting an increase. Have Full House, 200meg BB. Phone.

Good result for you. ;) I thought the increases were across the board.

rovert 12-10-2017 19:14

Just thought I would warn others planning on leaving VM to be wary of what they are told by VM operators. I phoned today to advise them that I had signed up with a new provider. The news was not particularly well received but when the operator finally accepted that I had made my mind up he advised that there would be a cancellation charge of £82.77. When I questioned this he said it was because I was in contract till next May. At this point I resorted to quoting from their price rise email giving me till 31 October to change or cancel my package without penalty. He then conceded that the cancellation charge would not apply in my circumstances.

It also came to light that VM had already heard from my new provider about changing the phone number over from 26 October. The operator then turned to broadband which he said I needed to give 30 days notice for. I was given a date to cancel the broadband of 25 November. Again I had to query this by asking why the 30 days was starting from the phone changeover day rather than today when the notice was being given. He again had to concede that he was wrong and corrected the date to 11 November.

I should say that I have been a VM customer since 1999 and am not leaving lightly but like a lot of others have grown tired of the frequency of price rises whether direct increases or caused by expiring and reduced discounts.

RichardCoulter 12-10-2017 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by noel43 (Post 35919964)

If you are on the minimum phone, that's exactly what I have and before I complained, it was due to go up by £3.99.

If you spoke to the offshore call centre, i'd ignore anything that they said and do what I do and make sure that you speak to someone in the UK.

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovert (Post 35919975)
Just thought I would warn others planning on leaving VM to be wary of what they are told by VM operators. I phoned today to advise them that I had signed up with a new provider. The news was not particularly well received but when the operator finally accepted that I had made my mind up he advised that there would be a cancellation charge of £82.77. When I questioned this he said it was because I was in contract till next May. At this point I resorted to quoting from their price rise email giving me till 31 October to change or cancel my package without penalty. He then conceded that the cancellation charge would not apply in my circumstances.

It also came to light that VM had already heard from my new provider about changing the phone number over from 26 October. The operator then turned to broadband which he said I needed to give 30 days notice for. I was given a date to cancel the broadband of 25 November. Again I had to query this by asking why the 30 days was starting from the phone changeover day rather than today when the notice was being given. He again had to concede that he was wrong and corrected the date to 11 November.

I should say that I have been a VM customer since 1999 and am not leaving lightly but like a lot of others have grown tired of the frequency of price rises whether direct increases or caused by expiring and reduced discounts.

Was this the offshore call centre or in the UK (Re: my post above)?

I do find it odd that VM are prepared to lose long term customers like yourself, just as there's never been more competition for the services that they offer. Freeview & Freesat have never been better in terms of availability of free channels too.

This seems to have started since LG took over...

rovert 12-10-2017 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35919998)
If you are on the minimum phone, that's exactly what I have and before I complained, it was due to go up by £3.99.

If you spoke to the offshore call centre, i'd ignore anything that they said and do what I do and make sure that you speak to someone in the UK.

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

Was this the offshore call centre or in the UK (Re: my post above)?

I do find it odd that VM are prepared to lose long term customers like yourself, just as there's never been more competition for the services that they offer. Freeview & Freesat have never been better in terms of availability of free channels too.

This seems to have started since LG took over...

It appeared to be a UK call centre. All I was offered was a postponement of the £2.47 price rise for 6 months which was the same as I was offered 2 weeks ago. The expiry of a £3 discount was simply ignored.

I have recently heard of 2 households who have moved from Sky to Virgin suggesting they are making good offers to new customers. Perhaps it is time they looked after their existing loyal customers as well.

therock247uk 13-10-2017 01:06

Got our letter through the post today price is going up nice to see there looking after customers who have been with them since the old NTL days (not).

OLD BOY 13-10-2017 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35919574)
So much for your free market economics as that would be classed as a cartel OB in what you are suggesting?.

No, I mean everyone on VM should be charged the same in relation to each individual package.

How is it fair that a loyal person who doesn't make a fuss gets charged more than people who are constantly wingeing and threatening to leave?

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35919913)
Sky tried to bring discounting to an end in early 2016, but had to abandon it.

It's better to retain/attract customers who can't or won't pay the full price and make less profit than losing them altogether, plus it costs VM less to discount and keep someone than processing the effects of churn.

Well, that might have been the case at first, but when discounting is done on an industrial scale, I think it would pay them to charge everyone the correct price. Not all of them will leave; most are just trying it on now.

daveeb 13-10-2017 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35920094)
No, I mean everyone on VM should be charged the same in relation to each individual package.

How is it fair that a loyal person who doesn't make a fuss gets charged more than people who are constantly wingeing and threatening to leave?

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

Well, that might have been the case at first, but when discounting is done on an industrial scale, I think it would pay them to charge everyone the correct price. Not all of them will leave; most are just trying it on now.

I don't think ringing up to request a cheaper price is "whingeing".
For example do you just accept the inflated price for your car insurance renewal quote or do you get them to price match or give you a discount.
VM should give everyone the same fair price, but like most companies VM charge as much as they think they can get away with and rely on the apathy of customers to get away with it.
If you can't be bothered to challenge them on this then you pay the price, quite literally.

jfman 13-10-2017 20:07

It's capitalism. Just as big companies barter with each other over contracts why shouldn't you?

By offering discounts they are actually reducing the price you pay overall. Someone paying a contribution towards the fixed costs on the network paying less is better than having that customer paying BT/whoever and taking their money elsewhere.

Pea-Pod 14-10-2017 22:34

Another long term customer, with a nynex telephone socket still in place to prove it (pre 1999)... I called them with the intention of stripping my bundle back to just broadband only kissing farewell to Sky Sports, TV and phone line rental... they quoted 50MB only would be £33 per month.... yet to have an upgrade to 100MB, basic TV and Phone it would only be £7 extra a month at £40.. but I would have to enter in a new 12 month contract. I want to avoid this because I might be selling the house soon and moving on. I was quite surprised that initially I intended to cancel everything and he was ready to book the appointment to remove the equipment. There didn't seem to be any retention skills there. Like I said I still want to maintain the broadband here, so in the end just cancelled the Sky Sports. If I don't sell the house, I'll be looking for just broadband options. I can live with freeview TV only. As for the landline, it's now just an automated junk call receiver, that I long since pulled the line out of it's socket.

jb66 15-10-2017 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pea-Pod (Post 35920206)
Another long term customer, with a nynex telephone socket still in place to prove it (pre 1999)... I called them with the intention of stripping my bundle back to just broadband only kissing farewell to Sky Sports, TV and phone line rental... they quoted 50MB only would be £33 per month.... yet to have an upgrade to 100MB, basic TV and Phone it would only be £7 extra a month at £40.. but I would have to enter in a new 12 month contract. I want to avoid this because I might be selling the house soon and moving on. I was quite surprised that initially I intended to cancel everything and he was ready to book the appointment to remove the equipment. There didn't seem to be any retention skills there. Like I said I still want to maintain the broadband here, so in the end just cancelled the Sky Sports. If I don't sell the house, I'll be looking for just broadband options. I can live with freeview TV only. As for the landline, it's now just an automated junk call receiver, that I long since pulled the line out of it's socket.

Sounds like he knew you were bluffing, hes doing exactly what he is paid for, to retain you paying the maximum price he could

Kushan 16-10-2017 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35919880)

Feasible? Yes, very much so. Some countries do this and it's basically nationalised broadband infrastructure.

Likely to happen any time soon? Probably not.

spankysmagicpian 16-10-2017 17:40

Wow Virgin, just Wow.

I was paying £137 a month for the Big Daddy (500Mb Tivo and Samsung VHD+) Just phoned them -

Now back on the VIP Pack, 2 x V6, 300Mb, no activation fee and move one box to another room at no cost. Now paying £102 a month.

Thanks Virgin :clap: :woot:

PtolemyIV 17-10-2017 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian (Post 35920374)
Wow Virgin, just Wow.

I was paying £137 a month for the Big Daddy (500Mb Tivo and Samsung VHD+) Just phoned them -

Now back on the VIP Pack, 2 x V6, 300Mb, no activation fee and move one box to another room at no cost. Now paying £102 a month.

Thanks Virgin :clap: :woot:

New customers get it for £90... I am on £92.50 vip with only 200mbps broadband and that annoys me even now!

New customer only deals is quite unfair... won't even let me go to the limited edition full house sports bundle for £65 a month or even just give me 200->300mbps for free!!

Arthurgray50@blu 17-10-2017 17:47

I believe that its totally wrong where VM are various prices - New customers can get it cheaper, then loyal ones.
I spoke with a VM rep yesterday, and he said that he could give me a great deal on VM. And reduce my package by half in competition with Sky.

The deal would only last six months though when it goes up to a 'regular' price.

Its about time Sky, and VM realise that we are not a bottomless pocket of money.

richard s 17-10-2017 19:22

Too right Arthurgray... Just recently where I live I have noticed more SKY dishes going up. VM are loosing customers... Wake-up VM (aka Global Media) or fail.

batchain 18-10-2017 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35920556)
Too right Arthurgray... Just recently where I live I have noticed more SKY dishes going up. VM are loosing customers... Wake-up VM (aka Global Media) or fail.

They're committing accounting fraud. Is that what you're saying?

Mythica 18-10-2017 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by PtolemyIV (Post 35920499)
New customers get it for £90... I am on £92.50 vip with only 200mbps broadband and that annoys me even now!

New customer only deals is quite unfair... won't even let me go to the limited edition full house sports bundle for £65 a month or even just give me 200->300mbps for free!!

You should get 300Mb for free if available as it's part of the VIP package.

richard s 18-10-2017 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by batchain (Post 35920717)
They're committing accounting fraud. Is that what you're saying?

They are probably Ok at the moment but just wait and see what happens when the interest rates start going up.

batchain 18-10-2017 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35920722)
They are probably Ok at the moment but just wait and see what happens when the interest rates start going up.

So that's a no?

Kushan 19-10-2017 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by PtolemyIV (Post 35920499)

Are you sure that the "new customer" deal isn't a time limited one that'll shoot up in 6 months?

richard s 19-10-2017 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by batchain (Post 35920723)
So that's a no?

Thats a YES.

batchain 19-10-2017 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35920896)
Thats a YES.

No means no. You lied, get over it.

jfman 21-10-2017 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35920228)
Sounds like he knew you were bluffing, hes doing exactly what he is paid for, to retain you paying the maximum price he could

Indeed, if Virgin are to believed (and I've no reason to doubt) a customer cancelling Sky Sports but retaining basic services is more profitable for Virgin anyway as much of that revenue is pretty much handed over to Sky!

If you are willing to retain pretty much any phone and broadband package this is where Virgin make their profits.

Word has spread to phone up and "threaten to cancel". Websites like that of Martin Lewis give you a play by play guide in doing it. If you aren't willing to end call number 1 in your 30 day notice period they'll see right through you.

It's also better to have a compelling offer to go to. Phoned on behalf of my parents after the latest price rise and pretty much got laughed off the phone because they are on Mates Rates and it's impossible to get such a good deal elsewhere.

richard s 25-10-2017 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by batchain (Post 35920897)
No means no. You lied, get over it.

You get over it A H.

Mr K 25-10-2017 21:04

It's all a farce, why should you have to the amateur dramatics threaten to leave palava? VM customers will soon qualify for an Equity card ! Well deserved too !

We don't need to do this for any other household service. Gas/Electricity it's easy to change to the cheapest and prices aren't up for negotiation. You just switch, simple. Wish there was a similar open market on Cable suppliers, and switching was as easy. Prices would lower and VM wouldn't get away with these frequent inflation busting price rises. There is Sky but it's a hassle, they know it , and VM and Sky shareholders profit from it. A privatised 'duopoly'. I blame Thatcher/Murdoch/Branson ;)

daveeb 25-10-2017 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35921848)
It's all a farce, why should you have to the amateur dramatics threaten to leave palava? VM customers will soon qualify for an Equity card ! Well deserved too !

We don't need to do this for any other household service. Gas/Electricity it's easy to change to the cheapest and prices aren't up for negotiation. You just switch, simple. Wish there was a similar open market on Cable suppliers, and switching was as easy. Prices would lower and VM wouldn't get away with these frequent inflation busting price rises. There is Sky but it's a hassle, they know it , and VM and Sky shareholders profit from it. A privatised 'duopoly'. I blame Thatcher/Murdoch/Branson ;)

They realise that the inertia of most customers will let them get away with it and obviously there's no other mainstream cable provider to compete on price (i'm ignoring Sky as in my case the line is painfully slow) so VM are laughing all the way to the bank.
A different sector but I have the same problem with insurance companies sending out ridiculous renewal quotes and I invariably get a quote somewhere else much cheaper which the original will then usually match . Spend my life negotiating with greedy organisations. Really grinds my gears.

JPAC 26-10-2017 13:09

Interesting;

According to Ofcom, both Sky and Virgin Media have put up their charges by 47% above the rate of inflation since 2009.
At the same time the wholesale cost of providing the service has actually fallen by 27% in real terms.

Link

Hugh 26-10-2017 15:11

And VM's top speed in 2009 was 50Mb/s, and now it's 300Mb/s - 500% speed increase.

They had 5 HD channels in 2009, and now have have 50 - 900% increase.

Amazing what you can do with statistics... :D

denphone 26-10-2017 15:36

Yep statistics the bane of us all.:D

RobboEdin 26-10-2017 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPAC (Post 35921913)
Interesting;

According to Ofcom, both Sky and Virgin Media have put up their charges by 47% above the rate of inflation since 2009.
At the same time the wholesale cost of providing the service has actually fallen by 27% in real terms.

Link

Don't those figures just relate to standalone landline charges?

JPAC 26-10-2017 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35921930)
And VM's top speed in 2009 was 50Mb/s, and now it's 300Mb/s - 500% speed increase.

Your avatar is quite appropriate.

Looks like those numbers are for rental charges.

Kabaal 26-10-2017 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35921930)

My memory may be a bit off but i think i'm still paying roughly what i would have been paying in 2009 for 50mb + phone + basic TV, with the difference being currently on 100mb.

It's fluctuated up and down over the years depending on what offer i've taken up through either retentions or the odd offer they've given out of the blue, such as 200mb, free BTSport or cut price BT Sports, even had the full TV package for free for 6 months at one point from them phoning up and offering.

I grumble and moan about the price rises when they happen but for the most part i've paid round £35-£45 ish for the past 10 years and often having a package worth a lot more than i was paying. If retentions didn't exist i'd be a lot less happy but they do :)

Kushan 28-10-2017 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35921964)
My memory may be a bit off but i think i'm still paying roughly what i would have been paying in 2009 for 50mb + phone + basic TV, with the difference being currently on 100mb.

It's fluctuated up and down over the years depending on what offer i've taken up through either retentions or the odd offer they've given out of the blue, such as 200mb, free BTSport or cut price BT Sports, even had the full TV package for free for 6 months at one point from them phoning up and offering.

I grumble and moan about the price rises when they happen but for the most part i've paid round £35-£45 ish for the past 10 years and often having a package worth a lot more than i was paying. If retentions didn't exist i'd be a lot less happy but they do :)

I suppose that's one way to look at things, but another is that the 50Mbit was the top tier back in 2009 whereas now the 100mbit is the lowest tier. In other words, the only reason you're paying "about the same" is because you've dropped a few tiers along the way.

HughA 29-10-2017 16:14

Sorry but 100Mbps is only the lowest tier for bundles with TV. It's still 50Mbps for broadband only or with phone.

Kushan 29-10-2017 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughA (Post 35922398)
Sorry but 100Mbps is only the lowest tier for bundles with TV. It's still 50Mbps for broadband only or with phone.

Kabaal's comparison was for the BB+TV+Phone.

Arthurgray50@blu 29-10-2017 21:06

A small argument here regarding price increases.

I think that Sky will win by a mile.

In the last 18 months VM have increased l believe THREE TIMES and expecting to go up again in November of THIS year.

Sky increases go up YEARLY. And that's ONE per year. If my maths serves me correctly.

VM will make an argument of' giving customers the best of entertainment' Its always there excuse.

Ignitionnet 30-10-2017 02:11

Cool. When are you off to Sky? :)

Carth 05-11-2017 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35922321)
. . 50Mbit was the top tier back in 2009 whereas now the 100mbit is the lowest tier.

I'm paying about £45 monthly for 50Mb, TV Player (whatever that is) and Phone Talk weekends.

Funnily enough I just signed into my account and the 'free' upgrade to 100Mb popped onto the screen.

Personally I'd ditch the TV but the wife says no . . . even though she watches freeview for 95% of the time :shrug:

As far as the landline goes, £20 a month for something that sits in the corner and is ignored almost every time it rings (PPI, new double glazing/kitchen, scam crap, etc) isn't bargain of the century.

I'm just waiting for the wife to come to her senses so we can go BB only :cool: