Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : New content for Virgin Media (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703462)

denphone 02-10-2018 14:04

Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35965167)
Sound riveting :D

l prefer the HP variety personally.;)

OLD BOY 02-10-2018 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35965172)
l prefer the HP variety personally.;)

And presumably, you prefer star gazing for Pluto!

cheekyangus 02-10-2018 17:24

Given NowTV boxes are rebranded Roku, I presume Pluto TV is on them already (I can't say I've noticed it).

OLD BOY 02-10-2018 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35965196)
Given NowTV boxes are rebranded Roku, I presume Pluto TV is on them already (I can't say I've noticed it).

Yes, it's on Roku as well. The channels are different, though. They include:

TV Kids
Xive TV
TV Movies
TV Explore
TV Sports
TV Fight
Glory Kickboxing
WPT (poker)
IGN
Rifftrax
MST 3K
Failarmy
The Pet Collective

I expect they will add more with time!

cheekyangus 02-10-2018 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35965201)

TV Kids
Xive TV
TV Movies
TV Explore
TV Sports
TV Fight
Glory Kickboxing
WPT (poker)
IGN
Rifftrax
MST 3K
Failarmy
The Pet Collective

Maybe it's due to Roku being US version and since NowTV is UK they can target different tastes?

I read Sky has a stake in Pluto (as they also do with Roku) so I can see this being a hurdle to VM having app.

OLD BOY 02-10-2018 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35965222)
Maybe it's due to Roku being US version and since NowTV is UK they can target different tastes?

I read Sky has a stake in Pluto (as they also do with Roku) so I can see this being a hurdle to VM having app.

No, this appears to be the European version. The US version contains a lot more channels.

Chad 03-10-2018 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35965201)

TV Kids
Xive TV
TV Movies
TV Explore
TV Sports
TV Fight
Glory Kickboxing
WPT (poker)
IGN
Rifftrax
MST 3K
Failarmy
The Pet Collective

Gave it a try last night. Content isn't must watch to put it lightly. There's better to be seen on YouTube imo

OLD BOY 18-10-2018 12:47

Maybe 4K Universe will launch on Virgin Media soon. This would make a nice little addition to its UHD offering.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2018...h-across-emea/

[Extract]

4KUNIVERSE, a 4K, high dynamic range (HDR) general entertainment channel, is due to launch over Europe, the Middle East and Africa after agreeing a deal with Eutelsat.

The channel is due to launch on Eutelsat’s Hotbird video neighbourhood on November 1 and will be capable of reaching cable and IPTV networks.

4KUNIVERSE will air original TV series, movies, documentaries, sports and primetime programming and will be encoded with Wide Colour Gamut, at 50 frames per second, and HLG HDR colour space.

denphone 18-10-2018 13:21

But l thought linear channels were going the way of the dodo according to the gospel of OB.

Raider999 18-10-2018 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35966970)
But l thought linear channels were going the way of the dodo according to the gospel of OB.

Probably doesn't apply to UHD channels;)

Does anyone stream in UHD?

OLD BOY 18-10-2018 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35966970)

In the future, Den, in the future.

denphone 18-10-2018 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35967030)
In the future, Den, in the future.

Well many will disagree with that sentiment OB.

Mad Max 18-10-2018 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35967034)
Well many will disagree with that sentiment OB.

Come on now, Den, you cannot deny that streaming services and on demand aren't changing the way people watch TV, there has been loads of articles published regarding the swing to more people using streaming, and watching TV when it suits them, the only linear TV that I watch, and the majority of my friends as well watch, is when there's live football on, I really don't know anyone who sits down to watch a TV show, or drama etc, when its being shown at the scheduled time.

denphone 19-10-2018 05:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35967049)
Come on now, Den, you cannot deny that streaming services and on demand aren't changing the way people watch TV, there has been loads of articles published regarding the swing to more people using streaming, and watching TV when it suits them, the only linear TV that I watch, and the majority of my friends as well watch, is when there's live football on, I really don't know anyone who sits down to watch a TV show, or drama etc, when its being shown at the scheduled time.

Streaming services are used by some as a extra add on to their main Linear TV viewing MM but for someone to say they are the complete future and that Linear TV is going the way of the dodo is complete and utter codswallop.

---------- Post added at 05:43 ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35967049)

Strange that MM as we must be in opposite worlds as most of the people l know do the exactly the opposite.

OLD BOY 19-10-2018 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35967074)
Streaming services are used by some as a extra add on to their main Linear TV viewing MM but for someone to say they are the complete future and that Linear TV is going the way of the dodo is complete and utter codswallop.

---------- Post added at 05:43 ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 ----------

Strange that MM as we must be in opposite worlds as most of the people l know do the exactly the opposite.

It's a generational thing, Den. However, I wouldn't have thought that many people in their 50s would agree with your view on this.

Younger people, not being retired, tend to lead busy lives and do not want to be slaves to the TV schedule. These days, I never hear anyone saying they won't come out because they are following a drama or because their favourite programme is on (unless it's football!). That's because they are watching it on demand or recording it, which is how we watch all our programmes, and have done for the last decade or so.