Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33663196)

snowy! 02-11-2010 14:54

Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acathla (Post 35113512)

Just wondering, I've upgraded my DIR-615 D4 to the firmware on there, all is working well - actually really well http://www.speedtest.net/result/1014090376.png - and I was about to update to a newer firmware but really, are there any advantages?

Of course stability might become an issue, it's only been about 30 minutes since I upgraded to DD-WRT, but unless that happens I'm tempted to avoid upgrading and enjoy some speed for a change.

Thanks.

mjpartyboy 02-11-2010 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowy! (Post 35116857)
stability might become an issue, it's only been about 30 minutes since I upgraded to DD-WRT

I used to always use the scheduled reboot feature, but when I last updated the build I turned it off and the router was stable for nearly two weeks constant up-time, which is when I upgraded the firmware.

inneedofhelp 03-11-2010 00:22

Apologies if this is too much of a tangent, but can anyone give any pointers as to the best settings for Virgin Media (E.g. what to do about QoS) or are the defaults fine?

Chrysalis 03-11-2010 00:48

the average user has no need to play with QoS, that more depends on what your household does eg. if you have kids using p2p a lot you can use QoS to make p2p lower priority, however I would expect QoS to only be effective on uploading.

chambohambo 06-11-2010 17:49

Latest version

06-11-10-r15693

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

mjpartyboy 07-11-2010 12:53

I'm very happy with build 15506, so will not be changing for a while.

sbg 07-11-2010 14:55

Im pulling my hair out with this router. I have the 50 meg virgin connection when running through the router I dont get the full 50 meg speed through my newsgroups but doing a speedtest Im getting the full 50, ok so running direct to network card im getting full 50 through newsgroups. I upgraded to this firmware hoping this would help but still the same, get about 20 - 24 meg through router when raping the newsgroups, im sure its some sort of porting issue or perhaps something in win7 I really dont know! Tryed disabling wireless , still the same. :) Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks

Paul 07-11-2010 15:31

Since you seem to have just proved its not the router, you would be better starting your own thread. :)

Jayster 07-11-2010 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35117108)
the average user has no need to play with QoS, that more depends on what your household does eg. if you have kids using p2p a lot you can use QoS to make p2p lower priority, however I would expect QoS to only be effective on uploading.

Yep you really don't want to touch QoS unless you are prepared to put everything in a priority or else they get a 2nd grade service (at least in my experience).

rocklobster 08-11-2010 15:45

Hi all,

I've been running various versions of dd-wrt on my 615 for a month or so now, and while I like the control it gives, I just find it unstable :-(

iplayer appears to be a common thing to kill it. Last night it rebooted several times for no obvious reason. Also, it seems to have much worse performance via wireless.

I'm trying build 15506 for now, and will see how it goes but if it's no better I'd like to stick the dlink firmware (4.11?) or even the VM fw back on it - the reason I originally went down the dd-wrt route was for some diag work I was doing. No real need for it now (particularly as it seems unreliable). I see some people suggest a nightly reboot etc - that's not really an option (and wasn't ever needed before).

So, I've tried the VM image from dlink that was linked to from this thread, and I've tried the latest D build from dlink (4.11). Neither will load both say it's not a valid image for this router or something similar. I've tried installing by holding down reset while powering it on and then using the recovery interface - no joy.

Am I missing something here? Do I have to binary edit the file to get it to load?

Any clues on how the hell I revert this to the stock firmware!? I can find plenty of guides for sticking dd-wrt onto the thing, but not a lot for someone wanting to move back...

mjpartyboy 08-11-2010 16:12

I've always used the Emergency Room whenever I've gone back to D-Link firmware from DD-WRT and never had any problems.

Edit: D-Link's own firmware isn't without its faults. I've had it stop giving me an open NAT when no settings have been changed and have had to power cycle the router on a number of occasions to fix performance issues. The recent DD-WRT builds have been very stable for me and haven't required any power cycles or scheduled reboots to maintain a solid performance.

rocklobster 08-11-2010 19:14

ok, as I say, I've just moved to 15506 so will see how that goes. I'm away on a course next week so really want a stable connection at home! dd-wrt has just been so unreliable :-(

No idea why I can't put the old firmware back :-( It fails every time. Oh well, fingers crossed...

chambohambo 10-11-2010 21:35

Latest version

09-11-10-r15704

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

Paul 10-11-2010 22:32

Do these releases have release notes ? If they do they are well hidden.

mjpartyboy 11-11-2010 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35120601)
Do these releases have release notes ? If they do they are well hidden.

They don't come with release notes. The best you can do is decipher the timeline:

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline