Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What have you fixed lately? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33694731)

heero_yuy 13-06-2014 09:20

Re: What have you fixed lately?

My mobile phone. It got very wet yesterday and just turned itself off. I found a video on youtube of somebody disembling the phone to its component parts, to replace the touch screen so I could see how to get it apart. Especially having undone the six inviting screws and the thing staying firmly assembled. :erm:

I stripped it down and fortunately the water hadn't got onto the LCD or circuit board. I dried it out overnight and have just re-assembled it. Seems to be working fine now. I wonder if it has some kind of humidity sensing to get it to turn off in the presence of water. :)

It's not an expensive one, a Samsung Tocco Lite, but is a handy size and quite capable.

Uncle Peter 13-06-2014 18:46

New water cooler and additional intake fan fitted to big pc. Everything hunky-dory again.

Osem 13-06-2014 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35706565)
My mobile phone. It got very wet yesterday and just turned itself off. I found a video on youtube of somebody disembling the phone to its component parts, to replace the touch screen so I could see how to get it apart. Especially having undone the six inviting screws and the thing staying firmly assembled. :erm:

I stripped it down and fortunately the water hadn't got onto the LCD or circuit board. I dried it out overnight and have just re-assembled it. Seems to be working fine now. I wonder if it has some kind of humidity sensing to get it to turn off in the presence of water. :)

It's not an expensive one, a Samsung Tocco Lite, but is a handy size and quite capable.

That's what Mrs Osem says to me... :D

Wicked_and_Crazy 14-06-2014 01:01

1 Attachment(s)
Fixed??? I built a biltong drier from odds and ends. Cost £2 for light sockets was all. A week later I have 1kg of biltong. Yummmmm

Uncle Peter 15-06-2014 17:40

A section of fascia board at the back of the house causing part of the gutter to drop and collect water. The whole lot will need replacing at some point but it'll do for now.

The local wood pigeon population has also been adjusted today courtesy of Mr HW100. I am sick and tired of them destroying my pots and crapping all over the garden furniture.

ThunderPants73 16-06-2014 21:44

Removed the snooze button on my alarm clock. Not exactly a fix but snoozing is the bane of my mornings.
No doubt tomorrow I shall oversleep. Hey ho.

Osem 16-06-2014 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 35707067)
A section of fascia board at the back of the house causing part of the gutter to drop and collect water. The whole lot will need replacing at some point but it'll do for now.

The local wood pigeon population has also been adjusted today courtesy of Mr
Quote:

HW100
. I am sick and tired of them destroying my pots and crapping all over the garden furniture.

Nice rifle. I have a Theoben SLR98 which has seen off a few rats I can tell you lol

pabscars 19-06-2014 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35707410)
Nice rifle. I have a Theoben SLR98 which has seen off a few rats I can tell you lol

Nice Rifles gents. And I have a maple stocked Air Arms S410K classic thats seen off a couple of thousand too ;)

heero_yuy 26-06-2014 15:54

The ignition unit on the gas hob. A legacy of it having had cola spilled in it was the circuit board inside the ignitor box arcing across. Cleaned that up but I've never been happy with the way it works: You press the button but only get one spark when you release it. Very simple circuit charges up a capacitor and then the switch dumps that into the spark transformer that has 4 outputs.

What I really want is a stream of sparks all the time the button is pressed. With the addition of a Thyristor and Diac (two kinds of electronic switch) resistor and capacitor it now does just that. :)

Taf 04-07-2014 19:06

The curtains in my son's room: the header tape had come away so needed few stitches.

heero_yuy 06-07-2014 16:25

Grass box bracket off a mates mower. It was fractured through and the weld had also failed. Finally remembered to do it: Wrestled the MIG welder out from under the stairs, god that thing's heavy, got set up on the patio with that and the angle grinder. Only a few minutes work needed but it's the getting the kit set up that takes the time. Then I have to pack it all away again. Still it's fixed now so that's a pint or two he owes me.

rhyds 06-07-2014 17:48

What my old man does is wait until he has at least 3 or 4 welding jobs then do them all in one go. To say he's a whizz at arc welding would be an understatement. I blew a massive hole in one bit of work I was doing. He not only filled the hole using only the welder he also got the actual weld perfect.

Osem 06-07-2014 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35712368)
Grass box bracket off a mates mower. It was fractured through and the weld had also failed. Finally remembered to do it: Wrestled the MIG welder out from under the stairs, god that thing's heavy, got set up on the patio with that and the angle grinder. Only a few minutes work needed but it's the getting the kit set up that takes the time. Then I have to pack it all away again. Still it's fixed now so that's a pint or two he owes me.

Man of many talents you mate! ;)

Anyway I just fixed the wife's bikini top ready for her forthcoming holiday. Just a little delicate sewing involved.

heero_yuy 06-07-2014 18:00

My welding won't win any prizes but after it's cleaned up with the angle grinder it don't look too bad. :D Still getting a feel for the power settings vs the metal thickness.

I did invest in an automatic helmet which is a boon.

multiskilled 09-07-2014 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35712011)
The curtains in my son's room: the header tape had come away so needed few stitches.

:shocked: Should you not have taken him to A@E for the stitches. ;)