Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704203)

passingbat 08-04-2017 21:26

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35893824)
Wasn't it the Brexit vote what spurred Mr Murdoch on to revisit his purchase for the remainder of Sky ? :D

Don't know. Murdoch's plans were not a consideration in my vote; way more important principles than him at stake.

Brexit or remain, I am against him having more interests than he already has in UK media.

muppetman11 08-04-2017 22:09

By the time we leave Europe his interests may have turned to which care home provides the best food.:D

SonicMaster 09-04-2017 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35893352)
As per the April 2017 Channel Guide:

cdn.virginmediapresents.com/2017/03/ChannelGuide_APR2017_v4.pdf

The CBS and Horror +1 channels are now available to everyone until 31 December 2017.

This must be one of the longest freeview periods ever!

Does VM Ireland have Really and Drama (these channels will shortly be starting on Sky Ireland with Irish adverts)?

More significantly, so is CSS Drama, which is usually only included in Full House / XL which is frankly laughable.

Media Boy UK 10-04-2017 15:31

It has been confirmed that Local TV in Central Scotland is set for an new look.

They local TV Channels (STV Local) will become known as STV2 from April 24th.

STV Local is on Virgin UK Channel 159 in Central Scotland.

RichardCoulter 10-04-2017 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35893892)
More significantly, so is CSS Drama, which is usually only included in Full House / XL which is frankly laughable.

Thanks, I didn't know that this included CBS Drama.

I agree that its ridiculous that this is in XL/Full House. What VM have been known to do is to move channels lower down the packs but make out that it's a special limited time thing and then keep them there at the end of the period. Let's hope that this is the case here.

1andrew1 11-04-2017 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35894001)
It has been confirmed that Local TV in Central Scotland is set for an new look.

They local TV Channels (STV Local) will become known as STV2 from April 24th.

STV Local is on Virgin UK Channel 159 in Central Scotland.

Full article here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-39559322

Mad Max 11-04-2017 19:04

Oh dear, more brain numbing trash!

OLD BOY 12-04-2017 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35894261)
Oh dear, more brain numbing trash!

Actually, STV2 could turn out to be the best of the local channels. Mind you, that's not really saying much!

Media Boy UK 12-04-2017 13:34

Sky Cinema News:

Sky Cinema will be having an "Star Wars Day" on Sky Cinema Sci-Fi and Horror on Easter Monday.

Also Sky Cinema Greats is set to be rebrand again from April 21st.

This time it will be called Sky Cinema Star Trek until April 30th.

RichardCoulter 12-04-2017 14:10

Interesting that these stupid name changes by Sky require them to register the change with OFCOM and back again, presumably paying two fees to do so.

I imagine that VM will charge for each EPG change too.

It must be worth their while to keep doing it though; maybe Sky Movies customers are easily duped into thinking that they are continually getting more film channels??

Media Boy UK 12-04-2017 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35894367)
Interesting that these stupid name changes by Sky require them to register the change with OFCOM and back again, presumably paying two fees to do so.

I imagine that VM will charge for each EPG change too.

It must be worth their while to keep doing it though; maybe Sky Movies customers are easily duped into thinking that they are continually getting more film channels??

The EPG change will only happen with Sky Cinema Star Trek.

The EPG will still say "Sky Sci-Fi Horror" on Easter Monday.

telegramsam 12-04-2017 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35894371)
The EPG change will only happen with Sky Cinema Star Trek.

The EPG will still say "Sky Sci-Fi Horror" on Easter Monday.

What these name changes do is attract new customers who are fans of that particular film,(Star Trek) in this particular instance. At least that's what Sky hope to achieve, and it must have some positive effect otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Media Boy UK 12-04-2017 14:53

Base on Information from Virgin Kids TV (Virgin UK Channel 700) we think Kix Power is set to close on May 4th on Virgin UK Channel 738.

denphone 12-04-2017 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35894354)
Sky Cinema News:

Sky Cinema will be having an "Star Wars Day" on Sky Cinema Sci-Fi and Horror on Easter Monday.

Also Sky Cinema Greats is set to be rebrand again from April 21st.

This time it will be called Sky Cinema Star Trek until April 30th.

Oh no not again...:(

Tricky Trevor 12-04-2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35894374)
What these name changes do is attract new customers who are fans of that particular film,(Star Trek) in this particular instance. At least that's what Sky hope to achieve, and it must have some positive effect otherwise they wouldn't do it.

But if they were really fans of these movies you would expect them to have them all on DVD/Blu Ray

telegramsam 12-04-2017 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor (Post 35894396)
But if they were really fans of these movies you would expect them to have them all on DVD/Blu Ray

Well maybe but I'm a fan of Star Trek but don't have any on DVD or Blu Ray. As I say its just a thought.

nodrogd 13-04-2017 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35894302)
Actually, STV2 could turn out to be the best of the local channels. Mind you, that's not really saying much!

An ITV company having an additional channel making programmes like ITV companies always used to do, except with money milked off the BBC. They are on a good one there.

theone2k10 16-04-2017 13:26

Potential update to the virgin media buy and keep service rumoured to be coming this year.
Sources yesterday have suggested that google video are keen to launch a app on the vm platform tivo and v6 although this is still a rumour to take with a pinch of salt at the moment if true this siggests that vms buy and keep service could be powered by google but as far as i'm aware google do not send out dvds unless they are partnering with someone such as Amazon or hmv.
I'll post further info when i get it.
Have a good Easter all :)

Raider999 16-04-2017 14:15

A service that worked would be a start!

Also a diagnostic system that was running so problems could be resolved!

OLD BOY 16-04-2017 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35894952)
A service that worked would be a start!

Also a diagnostic system that was running so problems could be resolved!

They have made a good start with their V6 boxes, to be fair.

I do think some work is required to make their catch up/on demand services more robust, although I have had very few problems with my new boxes, all of which related to the recent national glitch, now resolved.

RobboEdin 16-04-2017 15:25

... and with 6 tuners who needs catchup and on demand anyway?

Raider999 16-04-2017 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35894968)

Doesn't matter how many tuners you have when you are unable to view any sky sports or BT sports channels and have no broadband.

No diagnostic service available so virgin cannot investigate - been like this since 8am - latest est is now 6pm!

What idiot chose to do maintenance on Easter Sunday?

telegramsam 16-04-2017 16:36

This negative feedback is really putting me off getting the new TiVo box. Think I'll wait till(if) Virgin iron out all the problems.

OLD BOY 16-04-2017 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35894974)
This negative feedback is really putting me off getting the new TiVo box. Think I'll wait till(if) Virgin iron out all the problems.

...And yet the vast majority of us are well pleased with the V6. You will always get complaints, no matter how good the service. I understand there are more issues with the Sky Q than with the V6.

theone2k10 16-04-2017 17:13

Quote:

I'm one of virgins biggest critics but tbf to vm with new technology you will get bugs no matter who you're with, even my ps4 had bugs to begin with as did roku.
As technology evolves bugs will become more common.

telegramsam 16-04-2017 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35894981)
I'm one of virgins biggest critics but tbf to vm with new technology you will get bugs no matter who you're with, even my ps4 had bugs to begin with as did roku.
As technology evolves bugs will become more common.

Fair enough but still think I'll wait until those issues are ironed out

theone2k10 16-04-2017 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35894982)

I always wait now with new tech i give it at least a year before i buy.

nialli 16-04-2017 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35894982)

What issues are you referring to?
The only issue I have with my two V6s is that one, connected via WiFi, doesn't run Netflix. Hardly a showstopper for me. I'm not aware of any other major bugs - my two perform more reliably than the older TiVos they replaced now that the new update is out.

RichardCoulter 16-04-2017 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35894968)

I find VOD useful for when the V6 clips recordings or when programmes overrun.

I soon found that adding padding caused problems at peak times and that most programmes didn't overrun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35894993)
What issues are you referring to?
The only issue I have with my two V6s is that one, connected via WiFi, doesn't run Netflix. Hardly a showstopper for me. I'm not aware of any other major bugs - my two perform more reliably than the older TiVos they replaced now that the new update is out.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...704015&page=18

The main problems seem to be not recording whilst in Standby, recordings only being made for the first few minutes of a programme, missing channels and certain recordings causing the box to reboot. I've experienced the first three, but not the fourth.

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

Interestingly, the DTT licence list has changed as follows:

Changed:
- BTPreview
... into:
+ BTPreviewHD

Changed:
- BTSportShowcase
... into:
+ BTSportShowcaseHD

That would indicate that they are now able to carry these in HD or convert them to HD later on Freeview.

I wonder if we will be getting these free BT Sport channels in HD on VM?

jj20x 16-04-2017 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35895005)
Interestingly, the DTT licence list has changed as follows:

Changed:
- BTPreview
... into:
+ BTPreviewHD

Changed:
- BTSportShowcase
... into:
+ BTSportShowcaseHD

That would indicate that they are now able to carry these in HD or convert them to HD later on Freeview.

I wonder if we will be getting these free BT Sport channels in HD on VM?

Both the DTPS (DTT) and the TLCS (Cable and Satellite) licences have changed. VM has already carried the HD content over the Hidden BT Sport HD channel, which is set up to be switched in and out of channel 100.

I doubt that we will get the full time service, as it is just a rolling advert loop for BT services.

heavyside 17-04-2017 07:42

Quote:

I had so many problems with my old TiVos that, cost aside, upgrading to a couple of V6s was basically a no-brainer. Since then I have only encountered the most minor problems the worst of which was a single failed recording. FWIW from my experience compared to the original Virgin Media TiVo the V6 is a worthwhile upgrade.

nialli 17-04-2017 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35895005)
The main problems seem to be not recording whilst in Standby, recordings only being made for the first few minutes of a programme, missing channels and certain recordings causing the box to reboot. I've experienced the first three, but not the fourth.

There was a simple workaround of not using Standby until the issue was fixed - it now is.
I've not experienced any of the others at all and my V6s are whirring away every day. There are a few minor bugs and I've no doubt others may experience problems I've not had, but often I think many of those reported on Cable Forum are down to local issues rather than the V6 itself. My family have found the V6 to be a considerable improvement over previous Virgin Media hardware and well worth the upgrade.

muppetman11 17-04-2017 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35895071)
but often I think many of those reported on Cable Forum are down to local issues rather than the V6 itself.

There are many different reasons why some people will see issues you aren't seeing , look how many different TV sets there are then factor in people connect their STB's in many different ways some will plug direct to the TV some will go through an AV Receiver.

OLD BOY 17-04-2017 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35894969)
Doesn't matter how many tuners you have when you are unable to view any sky sports or BT sports channels and have no broadband.

No diagnostic service available so virgin cannot investigate - been like this since 8am - latest est is now 6pm!

Your problem doesn't seem to be a V6 problem at all, but some sort of area fault. How do you know this has resulted from maintenance work?

Sorry to hear you've lost your services until Friday. It pays to have some back-up arrangements if you can afford to do so. If my cable system goes down, I still have my smart TV (connected to the aerial) and my Roku stick.

If the broadband goes down as well, I still have my DVD recorder, so I would still have access to live Freeview channels and all my recordings on there.

However, if I have a power cut, I'm stuffed!

denphone 17-04-2017 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35895086)
There are many different reasons why some people will see issues you aren't seeing , look how many different TV sets there are then factor in people connect their STB's in many different ways some will plug direct to the TV some will go through an AV Receiver.

Indeed there are a plethora of reasons why some have problems as its not as easy sometimes as just adding 2+2 which makes 4 as some seem to imagine sometimes MM.

spiderplant 17-04-2017 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35894969)

If it was maintenance it must have been something very urgent. Do you have the ticket number?

RichardCoulter 17-04-2017 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35895037)
Both the DTPS (DTT) and the TLCS (Cable and Satellite) licences have changed. VM has already carried the HD content over the Hidden BT Sport HD channel, which is set up to be switched in and out of channel 100.

I doubt that we will get the full time service, as it is just a rolling advert loop for BT services.

Thanks, I didn't realise that this was good to go on VM :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35895071)
There was a simple workaround of not using Standby until the issue was fixed - it now is.
I've not experienced any of the others at all and my V6s are whirring away every day. There are a few minor bugs and I've no doubt others may experience problems I've not had, but often I think many of those reported on Cable Forum are down to local issues rather than the V6 itself. My family have found the V6 to be a considerable improvement over previous Virgin Media hardware and well worth the upgrade.

I haven't been able to test if it will still record whilst in Standby as I have planned recordings; has anyone actually found that the update resolved the fault by personal experience?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35895092)
If it was maintenance it must have been something very urgent. Do you have the ticket number?

I was surprised when I received a planned software update on Good Friday morning.

In case anything had gone wrong, we could have lost service at a holiday time when VM staff were on holiday themselves!

denphone 17-04-2017 13:43

There was absolutely no chance of losing your service Richard as this was a very minor update by all accounts.

OLD BOY 17-04-2017 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35895112)
There was absolutely no chance of losing your service Richard as this was a very minor update by all accounts.

I picked up a hint of disappointment that nothing had gone wrong with the update as well, Den. I thought it was just me and my interpretation!

RichardCoulter 17-04-2017 18:18

Explain why anyone would want an update to cause a service failure on Good Friday morning?

Raider999 17-04-2017 21:14

Tv service failed from 14:32 to around 22:00 on Saturday

Hasn't worked at all since around 9:00 Sunday (nor has broadband)

The maintenance I referred to from 8:00 to 18:00 on Sunday was supposedly to virgins diagnostic service, so they couldn't fix mine remotely.

Mind you they couldn't when it came back either.

1andrew1 17-04-2017 22:58

Could this be the turning point to Sky Atlantic appearing on VM?

Sky and Virgin Media in talks over targeted TV advertising tie-up

theone2k10 17-04-2017 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35895197)

Who knows bud plus both declined to comment.

Dave42 18-04-2017 01:46

Quote:

no chance it a advertising deal nothing to do with channels

denphone 18-04-2017 04:26

Quote:

Oh Andrew your positivity knows no bounds.;)

OLD BOY 18-04-2017 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35895136)
Explain why anyone would want an update to cause a service failure on Good Friday morning?

Most wouldn't, Richard, but some might have seen it as a good compensation opportunity.

---------- Post added at 08:17 ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 ----------

Quote:

I think that might be a bit of a stretch, but the most significant parts of this article that could support your proposition are the much improved relationship between Sky and Virgin since the Malone takeover (there's a surprise in itself) and the changing fortunes of Sky with its need to bolster advertising to maintain its financial position.

If Sky Atlantic were to be made available to Virgin viewers, the increased audience share would certainly increase advertising revenue for that channel. Although much has been made of SA being the 'unique selling point' for Sky, its ability to differentiate the two companies in Sky's favour has declined in recent times. Most who would have been influenced by this are already Sky customers and are unlikely to leave in droves just because VM get access to it.

The planned tie-up with Virgin Media, which sources said could be announced within days, is the latest signal of the improved relationship between the two companies since Liberty Global took control in 2013. In the 2000s they traded blows after Sky derailed a Virgin Media takeover of ITV by taking a blocking stake. Sky sold its ITV shares to Liberty Global in 2014.

Advertising has become a more significant source of growth for Sky as its core satellite subscription business has slowed under pressure from BT and others. Credit Suisse analysts forecast that Sky will reprt only 30,000 new pay-TV customers in the first three months of the year, less than half last year’s figure.

muppetman11 18-04-2017 10:41

Who knows whether Sky Atlantic will arrive but personally I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Andrews view , remember Sky Atlantic is one of the channels upon which Sky Adsmart is used.
https://www.skyadsmart.co.uk/about-skyadsmart/

denphone 18-04-2017 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35895230)
Who knows whether Sky Atlantic will arrive but personally I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Andrews view , remember Sky Atlantic is one of the channels upon which Sky Adsmart is used.
https://www.skyadsmart.co.uk/about-skyadsmart/

Well until there is substantiated proof then l have my doubts MM.

1andrew1 18-04-2017 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35895233)
Well until there is substantiated proof then l have my doubts MM.

You know me Den, ever the optimist. :) I think the Adsmart announcement may be made in a couple of days when Sky's nine months results come out so keep your eyes peeled. Sky may also reveal changes in its sports packages then as well. Just my usual conjecture. ;)

denphone 18-04-2017 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35895237)
You know me Den, ever the optimist. :) I think the Adsmart announcement may be made in a couple of days when Sky's nine months results come out so keep your eyes peeled. Sky may also reveal changes in its sports packages then as well. Just my usual conjecture. ;)

Well Andrew we shall see what transpires in this coming period.

theone2k10 18-04-2017 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35895237)

The sports package shake up is heavily rumoured on a number of forums there is certainly something happening i think.
Regarding Sky Atlantic i think it is possible, however if it does launch on VM then Dave has to run around in a pink onesie shouting "it did happen" :p:

denphone 18-04-2017 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35895281)
The sports package shake up is heavily rumoured on a number of forums there is certainly something happening i think.
Regarding Sky Atlantic i think it is possible, however if it does launch on VM then Dave has to run around in a pink onesie shouting "it did happen" :p:

Don't forget the straw hat which someone famously had to eat as well.;)

RichardCoulter 18-04-2017 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35895208)
Most wouldn't, Richard, but some might have seen it as a good compensation opportunity.

---------- Post added at 08:17 ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 ----------

I think that might be a bit of a stretch, but the most significant parts of this article that could support your proposition are the much improved relationship between Sky and Virgin since the Malone takeover (there's a surprise in itself) and the changing fortunes of Sky with its need to bolster advertising to maintain its financial position.

If Sky Atlantic were to be made available to Virgin viewers, the increased audience share would certainly increase advertising revenue for that channel. Although much has been made of SA being the 'unique selling point' for Sky, its ability to differentiate the two companies in Sky's favour has declined in recent times. Most who would have been influenced by this are already Sky customers and are unlikely to leave in droves just because VM get access to it.

The planned tie-up with Virgin Media, which sources said could be announced within days, is the latest signal of the improved relationship between the two companies since Liberty Global took control in 2013. In the 2000s they traded blows after Sky derailed a Virgin Media takeover of ITV by taking a blocking stake. Sky sold its ITV shares to Liberty Global in 2014.

Advertising has become a more significant source of growth for Sky as its core satellite subscription business has slowed under pressure from BT and others. Credit Suisse analysts forecast that Sky will reprt only 30,000 new pay-TV customers in the first three months of the year, less than half last year’s figure.

If you can't speak to me without making snide remarks, dont bother at all in future.

Dave42 18-04-2017 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35895281)

can tell you there is 0% of that ever happening

1andrew1 18-04-2017 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35895295)

Well, we had a surprise election announcement this morning so all bets are off in my book! :)

theone2k10 18-04-2017 13:46

Quote:

Are you prepared to bet your hat on it?

Ultimate.Conj 18-04-2017 16:12

Ultra HD coming to VM?

Snippet from an article, but no time-frames. Coming soon I guess? :-)

"Asked about protecting Ultra HD content, he said it was Liberty’s ambition to launch such services. It had been advised to read a document produced by MovieLabs about protecting them. It will initially deliver VOD and EST in the format, which will be more difficult to protect than linear channels."

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...y-competitors/

denphone 18-04-2017 16:15

We are still waiting for the Virgin Media Store and a Virgin TV Kids app.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1395...vice-explained

Ultimate.Conj 18-04-2017 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35895329)
We are still waiting for the Virgin Media Store and a Virgin TV Kids app.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1395...vice-explained

Yeah the new and improved Virgin media store...wonder what happened to that?
I guess this is where their Ultra HD EST would come from. Renting/Buying the films here.

There hasn't been any word on it since they spoke about it at the V6 launch..Hmmmm

OLD BOY 18-04-2017 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35895294)
If you can't speak to me without making snide remarks, dont bother at all in future.

You really will have to do something about your humour deficiency, Richard.

It's strange that you should take exception to my remarks when you are far more scathing about Virgin Media and its employees. This is a discussion forum, and sometimes people will disagree with you.

In case you haven't noticed, people disagree with me sometimes, too!

:Peaceman:

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

Quote:

Do you mean SA on VM or the onesie?

Dave42 18-04-2017 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35895337)

It's strange that you should take exception to my remarks when you are far more scathing about Virgin Media and its employees. This is a discussion forum, and sometimes people will disagree with you.

:Peaceman:

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

Do you mean SA on VM or the onesie?

meant onesie 0.1% for SA coming to VM

RichardCoulter 18-04-2017 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35895337)

This has nothing whatsoever to do with differing views. You have been made personally aware of my difficulties, yet continue to try and stir up trouble for me and make snide remarks.

For the record, I am severely disabled, took a bad fall and have ended up with mild brain damage.

The last thing that I need is the likes of you trying to run rings around me.

I do not wish to be exposed to your "humour" in the future.

DreamRJ 18-04-2017 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35895345)
This has nothing whatsoever to do with differing views. You have been made personally aware of my difficulties, yet continue to try and stir up trouble for me and make snide remarks.

For the record, I am severely disabled, took a bad fall and have ended up with mild brain damage.

The last thing that I need is the likes of you trying to run rings around me.

I do not wish to be exposed to your "humour" in the future.

Hi Richard,

It is DreamRJ from DS,

I just had to sign up to CF to post and reply to this post.

I am sorry for your misfortunes. But we all have some misfortunes in our lives, so there is no need to be bitter, I noticed Old Boy was actually just having some banter. I know it can be hard to realise from text what is banter and what is not. But I am not being condescending when i say this, but i feel your trying to be poor me. and there is no need for it. Also this is not a thread for it. The thread should be kept on topic. And As i said i am sorry for your misfortune with your health and i wish and hope you can get some improvement in the future too.

But please just understand sometimes it is easy to misinterpret sentences in posts in forums. Maybe try and read them a few times over and try and look at the comment from every angle before you respond. :) Just some friendly advice :)

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

And can i now just post to say hi all. Been a lurker here for many years. But i used DS and i post there until today i signed up at CF.

And as to the rumours again for SA coming to VM. I doubt it will what so ever, i have said this in some posts in DS forum too a few times.

As i said in DS forum, I think SA is a overrated channel anyway. But i would not say i do not want it if it was to come to VM, but it is in the odds of 1 in a million to coming to VM anyway imho.

alwaysabear 18-04-2017 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamRJ (Post 35895357)
Hi Richard,

It is DreamRJ from DS,

I just had to sign up to CF to post and reply to this post.

I am sorry for your misfortunes. But we all have some misfortunes in our lives, so there is no need to be bitter, I noticed Old Boy was actually just having some banter. I know it can be hard to realise from text what is banter and what is not. But I am not being condescending when i say this, but i feel your trying to be poor me. and there is no need for it. Also this is not a thread for it. The thread should be kept on topic. And As i said i am sorry for your misfortune with your health and i wish and hope you can get some improvement in the future too.

But please just understand sometimes it is easy to misinterpret sentences in posts in forums. Maybe try and read them a few times over and try and look at the comment from every angle before you respond. :) Just some friendly advice :)

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

And can i now just post to say hi all. Been a lurker here for many years. But i used DS and i post there until today i signed up at CF.

And as to the rumours again for SA coming to VM. I doubt it will what so ever, i have said this in some posts in DS forum too a few times.

As i said in DS forum, I think SA is a overrated channel anyway. But i would not say i do not want it if it was to come to VM, but it is in the odds of 1 in a million to coming to VM anyway imho.

:welcome: enjoy the ride!

DreamRJ 18-04-2017 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35895364)
:welcome: enjoy the ride!

Thanks for the welcome :)

Media Boy UK 19-04-2017 12:17

Media Boy Sources has confirmed that MADE IN TEESSIDE tests has started on Virgin Media UK.

telegramsam 19-04-2017 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35895447)
Media Boy Sources has confirmed that MADE IN TEESSIDE tests has started on Virgin Media UK.

Thanks for the info Media Boy. Any idea how long before it's likely to launch?

Media Boy UK 19-04-2017 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35895449)
Thanks for the info Media Boy. Any idea how long before it's likely to launch?

Latest info we have is "By May"

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...esside-to.html

EDIT: We just been on Made in Teesside twitter page and it say that they has launch on April 18th on Virgin Channel 159.

Can you confirm telegramsam?

telegramsam 19-04-2017 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35895452)
Latest info we have is "By May"

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...esside-to.html

EDIT: We just been on Made in Teesside twitter page and it say that they has launch on April 18th on Virgin Channel 159.

Can you confirm telegramsam?

Just looked on my v HD box and it's listed on the EPG but when I tried to view it says "this channel isn't available right now or you may not be subscribed to it" . I'm on the xl pack ( or whatever it's called now ) so I should get it,shouldn't I? Maybe it takes a while to update?
Just looked on the TiVo box and it's up and running! They're showing a very old black and white program,Sherlock Holmes!

Media Boy UK 19-04-2017 14:06

Try an reboot it may fix your V HD Box.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Thanks for info on Made in Teesside.

telegramsam 19-04-2017 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35895467)
Thanks I will when I get back home.

jj20x 19-04-2017 16:46

Quote:

It showed up as testing on the NGRHEE Bromley network before Easter but I was unable to check if it was running in the background on the Teesside network, as that is, unfortunately, on the ex-NTL group of networks (NIT data for the ex-NTL group can't be seen from the ex-Telewest / ex-C&W / ex-Smallworld group).

At the same time it was noted that Cambridge TV was no longer in the Network Information Tables for NGRHEE Bromley. Also Bay TV Swansea had been removed from the NIT tables of NGRHEE Bromley, NGRHEE Knowsley, TTA Bromley DMC (Bromley RHE) & TTA Knowsley DMC (Hayes_RHE) networks. All of those are networks used for internal testing. Cambridge TV & Bay TV Swansea remain in the Service Description Table and, presumably, on their respective regional networks (I can't confirm that as they are both on the ex-NTL group).

As far as "tests" go:

Viceland showed up in the NIT tables of TTA Knowsley DMC (Hayes_RHE), TTA Bromley DMC (Bromley RHE) & Code Download Test (Portsmouth).

Fox News Channel was in the NIT tables of TTA Knowsley DMC (Hayes_RHE), TTA Bromley DMC (Bromley RHE), NGRHEE Bromley & NGRHEE Knowsley.

No progress with those.

Point of interest: NIT tables of NGRHEE Bromley, TTA Bromley DMC (Bromley RHE) & Manchester TRIALS networks include: RTE One, RTE Two & TG4 - presumably for monitoring purposes, I wouldn't expect those to be made available on customer facing networks other than those in Northern Ireland.

Various internal tests continue to show up on the NIT tables of VM's internal networks. Frequency tests appear in the NIT for various regional networks, although many of these have been observed as currently being inactive.

No major developments unfortunately.

Media Boy UK 19-04-2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35895500)
It showed up as testing on the NGRHEE Bromley network before Easter but I was unable to check if it was running in the background on the Teesside network, as that is, unfortunately, on the ex-NTL group of networks (NIT data for the ex-NTL group can't be seen from the ex-Telewest / ex-C&W / ex-Smallworld group).

At the same time it was noted that Cambridge TV was no longer in the Network Information Tables for NGRHEE Bromley. Also Bay TV Swansea had been removed from the NIT tables of NGRHEE Bromley, NGRHEE Knowsley, TTA Bromley DMC (Bromley RHE) & TTA Knowsley DMC (Hayes_RHE) networks. All of those are networks used for internal testing. Cambridge TV & Bay TV Swansea remain in the Service Description Table and, presumably, on their respective regional networks (I can't confirm that as they are both on the ex-NTL group).

As far as "tests" go:

Viceland showed up in the NIT tables of TTA Knowsley DMC (Hayes_RHE), TTA Bromley DMC (Bromley RHE) & Code Download Test (Portsmouth).

Fox News Channel was in the NIT tables of TTA Knowsley DMC (Hayes_RHE), TTA Bromley DMC (Bromley RHE), NGRHEE Bromley & NGRHEE Knowsley.

No progress with those.

Point of interest: NIT tables of NGRHEE Bromley, TTA Bromley DMC (Bromley RHE) & Manchester TRIALS networks include: RTE One, RTE Two & TG4 - presumably for monitoring purposes, I wouldn't expect those to be made available on customer facing networks other than those in Northern Ireland.

Various internal tests continue to show up on the NIT tables of VM's internal networks. Frequency tests appear in the NIT for various regional networks, although many of these have been observed as currently being inactive.

No major developments unfortunately.

Base on info we seen yesterday.

Viceland is broadcast with both Video and EPG.
Fox News is Not doing anything.

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

No news was given on That's Solent

telegramsam 19-04-2017 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35895467)

Well I've tried a reboot but still not receiving it. I'l try tomorrow and if it's still not on I'l phone Virgin about it. I would of thought as all my other channels I sub to are on and the Made On Teesside channel is on my TiVo box it would of been on the V hd box too!

jj20x 19-04-2017 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35895504)
Base on info we seen yesterday.

Viceland is broadcast with both Video and EPG.
Fox News is Not doing anything.

Nothing new there for Viceland, the video stream (PID 1601) and audio stream (PID 1611) are indeed carried across multiple networks on transport stream TSID 11 and have been for a long time.

This isn't unusual, as Viceland isn't in the NIT for the customer facing networks. It (the presence of hidden video and audio streams) is quite common on the regional transport streams, where local tv channels are sent out across all networks from the local headend but only defined in the NIT for the appropriate networks. E.g. Sheffield Live audio & video streams are carried across Barnsley 1, Barnsley 2, Barnsley 3 & Barnsley 4 networks but only present in the NIT for Barnsley 3 & Barnsley 4, which cover the Sheffield area. Sheffield Live is viewable on VM equipment on the Barnsley 3 & Barnsley 4 networks, where it is present in the NIT but ignored by VM equipment on the Barnsley 1 & Barnsley 2 networks, where it isn't defined in the NIT, even though the video and audio streams are actually present.

EPG data is carried across the entire network, repeated across each transport stream, so EPG data being present doesn't actually indicate that the channels are physically present anywhere on the network.

The fact that the Viceland video and audio streams were added across the national network some time ago but haven't been added to the NIT possibly indicates that there is a problem bringing the service to VM customers. The problem could be technical, contractual or just a reason known only to VM management.

Quote:

No news was given on That's Solent
As I've said previously, it isn't listed in the NIT for ANY network, not even the internal networks used for testing.

It only exists as a name defined in the Service Description Table. Indicating that it may have been tested at some point and the tests were subsequently discontinued OR it was added, at some point, but the active tests never actually started.

Mad Max 19-04-2017 23:09

Quote:

Deary me, more dross!!

johnathome 20-04-2017 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35895563)
Deary me, more dross!!

Oh i don't know, i've been on the darkside for 2 years and have given my notice to cancel and d-day is 10th May.

This broadcasting behemoth may tempt me back, although i'd have to move up North.

telegramsam 20-04-2017 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35895507)
Well I've tried a reboot but still not receiving it. I'l try tomorrow and if it's still not on I'l phone Virgin about it. I would of thought as all my other channels I sub to are on and the Made On Teesside channel is on my TiVo box it would of been on the V hd box too!

Made On Teesside now on my Vhd box.

Ddonald2016 22-04-2017 17:11

Any idea why my TiVo suddenly goes through welcome stage and starting up but then no picture and also the box is still recording the shows

OLD BOY 22-04-2017 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35895660)
Made On Teesside now on my Vhd box.

I'm glad for you, Sam, but I think your new channel will be a bit of a let down!

Unless you enjoy third rate black and white films, that is!

blackthorn 23-04-2017 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35895813)
Any idea why my TiVo suddenly goes through welcome stage and starting up but then no picture and also the box is still recording the shows

Been happening to me a couple of times over the last week as well.

Ddonald2016 23-04-2017 07:06

What solves issue I can't fix it

telegramsam 23-04-2017 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35895850)
I'm glad for you, Sam, but I think your new channel will be a bit of a let down!

As I've previously said it's a channel I'l dip into from time to time.

ozsat 23-04-2017 11:17

There is only one old B&W film a day on Teeside.

But apart from a short local news programme - most of the schedule of all local tv channels is old fillers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35895850)

Horizon 23-04-2017 13:27

When cable tv first started in the UK, some of the old cablecos teamed up with colleges to produce content and even a few channels launched. In my area, we were meant to get a "proper" local tv channel in the early 90s, but it only got as far as a text service. It was meant to extend to a one hour news/current affairs show in the evening, but that never materialised.

As the cablecos started merging with each other and the "local" aspect of the companies started to be watered down as they grew into national companies, the idea of real local tv disappeared with them.

Cable can and should be able to deliver local tv, with advertising coming from local business, but this has never been harnessed, it's barely ever got off the ground.

These "made in" channels, are not local tv.

toady 23-04-2017 13:56

Local TV has always been garbage in the UK, there isn't enough local business money available to support a decent channel that people are interested in watching

1andrew1 23-04-2017 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35895889)
When cable tv first started in the UK, some of the old cablecos teamed up with colleges to produce content and even a few channels launched. In my area, we were meant to get a "proper" local tv channel in the early 90s, but it only got as far as a text service. It was meant to extend to a one hour news/current affairs show in the evening, but that never materialised.

As the cablecos started merging with each other and the "local" aspect of the companies started to be watered down as they grew into national companies, the idea of real local tv disappeared with them.

Cable can and should be able to deliver local tv, with advertising coming from local business, but this has never been harnessed, it's barely ever got off the ground.

These "made in" channels, are not local tv.

I'm old enough to remember when cinemas had adverts for local restaurants on car showrooms. I think local advertising is quite dead and the internet is king for this type of thing now.

telegramsam 23-04-2017 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35895900)
I'm old enough to remember when cinemas had adverts for local restaurants on car showrooms. I think local advertising is quite dead and the internet is king for this type of thing now.

Yes I remember local advertising at cinema.
Local TV should be all about local TV program makers and local advertising. I'm sure they could make it work if they wanted to.

Inactive Digital 23-04-2017 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35895889)
In my area, we were meant to get a "proper" local tv channel in the early 90s, but it only got as far as a text service. It was meant to extend to a one hour news/current affairs show in the evening, but that never materialised.

Yes, our local channel was pretty much just a text service too. The only programme it ever showed was "What 2 Watch" which was a preview of the week's programmes on cable presented by Debbie Flint. L!ve TV also showed a short-lived behind the scenes series at a local football club too - I guess this was played-out via tape at the local cable site.

Derekb108 23-04-2017 23:55

STV2 re-branding and Merging of Edinburgh and Glasgow - starts tomorrow 24/4 hopefully getting better content....

OLD BOY 24-04-2017 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35895874)
As I've previously said it's a channel I'l dip into from time to time.

Point taken, Sam, although avoiding it altogether would sound sensible to me!

telegramsam 24-04-2017 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35896003)
Point taken, Sam, although avoiding it altogether would sound sensible to me!

That wouldn't make sense if I saw something on I fancied watching, would it?

OLD BOY 24-04-2017 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35896027)
That wouldn't make sense if I saw something on I fancied watching, would it?

No, that would make perfect sense, although if London Live is anything to go by, I can't think what on Earth you would find of interest on there, given the programme choice you have on other channels.

However, if you do find anything good, do tell us what it is! I am always happy to re-evaluate my views when better evidence is produced.

cheekyangus 24-04-2017 13:40

STV2 is now broadcasting a barker on Angus transmitter. Despite its Mux being broadcast on a lower power I can receive the Mux on the fringes/outside its coverage area.

No sign of it on my Tivo though so maybe they will be enforcing the official local coverage areas on cable network.

Wicked_and_Crazy 24-04-2017 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35895112)

A minor update that produced some annoying results. ggrrrrr BBC1 and AD

telegramsam 24-04-2017 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35896050)
No, that would make perfect sense, although if London Live is anything to go by, I can't think what on Earth you would find of interest on there, given the programme choice you have on other channels.

However, if you do find anything good, do tell us what it is! I am always happy to re-evaluate my views when better evidence is produced.

What's of interest to one person isn't always of interest to others as I'm sure you'll appreciate. If Made In Teesside shows any nostalgia programs of the Teesside area I'd be keen to watch. I'll certainly let you know OK.

Tricky Trevor 24-04-2017 14:03

Ive got no complaints as far as Notts TV goes,in fact I seem to be watching it more than any other channel

https://nottstv.com/

spiderplant 24-04-2017 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy (Post 35896056)
ggrrrrr BBC1 and AD

That was a broadcast fault. Nothing at all to do with the box software.

OLD BOY 24-04-2017 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor (Post 35896059)
Ive got no complaints as far as Notts TV goes,in fact I seem to be watching it more than any other channel

https://nottstv.com/

To be fair, that looks like a reasonable schedule. Puts London Live to shame.

Horizon 24-04-2017 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35895900)

My local theatre still does local advertising during the break. A white screen comes down and local ads are shown from the local shops and business'. Even the bigger shops like Tescos advertise what special deals are going on at the local branch.