Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   [Update] Windows 10 Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698787)

arcimedes 13-01-2016 07:14

Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Just tried putting the password in manually and amazon is happy with that. Also tried a couple of other sites and they are happy to accept pasted passwords.

Is there a way with favorites to stop some of the icons before the name coming out enormous?

progers 13-01-2016 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by solitaire (Post 35814698)
Same here, I love Windows 10. Computer boots quicker than Windows 7 and seems to run better all round. No issues at all since I installed it.

And here, much better than 8.1, no wish to return, 10 is great

iadom 07-02-2016 21:42

Well until the last few days I have had no real problems with Win 10 but I do have one now that seems to have been around for a while in 8.1 as well.:rolleyes:

Possibly caused by a recent Win 10 update but a few days ago my start button stopped working, no access to menu tiles or any other programmes. I also notice that the 'New notifications' icon is showing white on the taskbar bar but will not open or respond either. The only way I can shut down is by right clicking the start button.

A bit of research suggests quite an involved process for clearing this problem but other posts said to just leave it and see if it cleared.

I did this and after restarting a couple of times it did clear and was fine for three days but the problem has returned today and doesn't seem to want to go away.:(

SnoopZ 07-02-2016 22:48

Luckily for me if the start button breaks, a reset always cures it, I think I have only seen this twice.

Are you on the normal version and never had a start menu replacement added or are you on an insider build?

iadom 07-02-2016 22:58

Just normal build, nothing altered or added by me, only events in last week or so is auto updates for MS.

I have been asked on the MS support forums for current build but when I right click on the start menu and control panel it brings up the old Win 7 control panel?????

Found my version by entering winver in run dialogue box.

1511 build 10586.71

nomadking 07-02-2016 23:07

My system has been nagging me to schedule a restart. I had restarted several times and it didn't clear it. Did a check and scheduled and it did a big install just like the first time with W10.

I'm now on Version 1511 OS Build 10586.71. Things are appearing differently to before. Fonts etc have a different appearance. Surely the whole point about using specific fonts is that the appearance remains the same. It also said something about being on Windows Insider Preview. Didn't realize I was. Is there a way of checking?

Tezcatlipoca 08-02-2016 00:00

My Apple Boot Camp install of Windows 10 is broken :(

All was fine until a recent Windows update, after which Windows 10 got stuck in an "attempting repair" loop.

I wiped the partition tonight and reinstalled it from scratch, using a more recent ISO too.

Everything was going great at first. Windows 10 installed and updated OK, I could restart OK... But then I installed the Apple Windows Support software (the Boot Camp drivers etc.), and once again got stuck in an "attempting repair" loop when restarting.

I ended up killing it, again.

MalteseFalcon 08-02-2016 11:28

Do what I do when W10 goes a bit weird.

1. Press the Windows key+X at same time, choose Command Prompt (Admin)
2. Type sfc /scannow and press enter. Wait for it to go through, can take some time to do
3. If it finds anything, it will attempt to fix it, and when finished reboot the computer and should be back working as normal. Had to do it twice myself, and it does help.

iadom 08-02-2016 14:52

Sorted for now, at first I was right clicking on the start button, selecting 'shut down or sign out' then selecting 'shut down' before rebooting with the power button on my PC.

I found that instead of selecting 'shut down' I selected 'Restart'. It took a while to get going but the problem has now cleared ( for now). :)

j52c 11-03-2016 10:03

Here is a little tip I found the oher day:-

Click the Windows button bottom left

Click the Power Button until it displays the options ie: Shut Down Restart etc.

Now hold down the Shift Key and then click Restart

It should take you to Win 10 menu where you can do different tasks such as Repair, Install, Restore a Sytem Image etc.

nashville 11-03-2016 15:13

I am still on Windows 7. Afraid to take chances .

SnoopZ 11-03-2016 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 35826266)

You probably said the same thing with other Windows versions, even my parents installed 10 without my help. lol

It is only free until June sometime.

Dave42 11-03-2016 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35826281)
You probably said the same thing with other Windows versions, even my parents installed 10 without my help. lol

It is only free until June sometime.

29th of July

MUD_Wizard 12-03-2016 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 35826266)

I think I'll stay on Windows 7 too. Windows 10 doesn't appeal for multiple reasons:
http://www.windowscentral.com/14-rea...ade-windows-10

Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit is looking nice though. Think I'm going to dual-boot that with Windows 7 for a while and see what happens.

Mint+Chrome+VLC+Skype+Steam+Spotify+... +developer tools.

Windows 10 vs Linux | Linux Mint 17.2 Impressions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLcpOQl_LoU

https://linuxmint.com/rel_rosa_cinnamon_whatsnew.php

Can always buy a copy of Windows 10 in a few years if necessary..

pip08456 12-03-2016 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard (Post 35826355)

Can always buy a copy of Windows 10 in a few years if necessary..

Or do what I've done.

I had 2 spare laptop drives both now have the free upgrade on them, one for my laptop, the other for my desktop PC.

When W7 support ends I'll just clone them and wait for a few days while they update. Alternatively I'll just throw them in once every 3 months to update.